Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. F

Turn signal problem

Also, fuse F22 goes to 12V in run and F21 goes to 12V at all times. If the hazard lights work, but not the turn signals, F22 is the culprit.
  2. F

Turn signal problem

Does your hazard lights work? The turn signals and hazard lights operate off the same flasher unit (as Creo wrote, in the steering column). No hazard AND no flasher, look at the flasher unit.
  3. F

Rough vibration when stopped

If the vibration goes away when you increase revs above 1000 rpms, you might want to check the flexplate. The vibration got so bad, I thought the engine mount had broken. Search under flexplate to see if the symptoms fit.
  4. F

Speed Control Deactivation Switch Recall (09S09)

Thanks for all the info. I had an f10 fuse keep blowing and looked that problem up here. I used a meter to check and my SPDS was shorted. BTW, I found one on Amazon for $12.67. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IYLZDO I may have to go a few days without the...
  5. F

Would you fight this speeding Ticket?

Here is a thought- maybe the traffic signs designate the change of speed limit mark. The eastbound changes from 45 to 35 at that point and the westbound changes from 35 to 45. I had a co-worker (on a military base) given a ticket for "anticipating a speed zone", he sped up to the speed BEFORE...
  6. F

She burns more gas with a/c off????

Have you checked the thermostat? The AC radiator will heat up the coolant in the radiator, so the engine should be running marginally hotter with the AC on. Just a thought.
  7. F

Sticky Oil Pressure Gauge

This last winter, my oil pressure took forever to come up in very cold weather. I listened for any noise that would indicate lack of oil in the engine and no noise, the engine ran smooth. I figured that the sender was sticking in the cold. I will change it when the weather cools off. In warm...
  8. F

Replacing shackles, can't get the last bolt out

You might try grinding off the bolt head (on the spare side of the shackle), dropping the spare and whacking it from the spare hole. You can get more leverage from there. My 2c worth. BTW, I made sure that I could loosen all the nuts and move the bolts before I replaced a shackle.
  9. F

Give me your opinion on shackles against my mechanics.

I just put on a set of Warrior WAR 153 aa9for sagging springs on my '96) and the rear is not bottoming out anymore. I also have a trailer hitch and the shackles just clear it. It only took an hour or so by myself. Easy fix for sag.
  10. F

Worst vehicle ever? 2002 Explorer according to CarComplaints.com

I don't see the Yugo. Maybe there was not enough made to get into the top 20.
  11. F

need some deep 4.0 master builder opinons asap

Huntman, why not offer to sell the truck to someone who can rebuild or replace the engine? I hate to see good mechanical pieces go to waste (like a junkyard might do). That engine does need a complete rebuild (I have done a few) if you found shavings in the oil. Or, a good used engine put in.
  12. F

Swap shocks with struts?

Try these from Amazon.com. http://www.amazon.com/Monroe-58617-Sensa-Trac-Adjusting-Absorber/dp/B000C53RXK/ref=au_pf_pfg_s?ie=UTF8&Model=Explorer|663&n=15684181&s=automotive&Make=Ford|54&Year=1996|1996&newCar=1&carId=003
  13. F

Possible short?

Not a fuse. It would not come back on if the fuse blew. Sounds like an intermittent short (worst kind).
  14. F

what happened to my seat belt?

Dean, you must be thinking #20 Torx, as they come in increments of 5 (5, 10, 15, 20). Just trying to keep the confusion to a minimum.
  15. F

I dont want a whoops

When I was in Minot, ND, if the temp was expected to get below 0 F, we just plugged in the block heater that night. The next morning, unplug the block heater and start the vehicle. Easy, peesey, as the Brits say.
  16. F

Scott B.'s 4.0 OHV Rebuild

Using the block heater because you have it is a good reason. Works for me.
  17. F

Scott B.'s 4.0 OHV Rebuild

Unless you are planning on going to some really cold areas, I don't see a need for a block heater. I spent 5 winters in Minot, ND, and needed a block heater to start in the winter (needed to heat the oil so the engine would turn fast enough to start). Anywhere south of Nebraska and east of the...
  18. F

Who could get this Explorer started?

Blee1099, starter fluid squirted into the air intake will tell if the injectors are being opened. If you get the engine going, you then know that the spark is there, on time. If no engine run, you may have a spark problem. Normally, good fuel pressure eliminates bad fuel pump and filter. The...
  19. F

Zombie Assault Preparedness Vehicle or ZAPV

FLASH!! The Walking Dead has been picked up for a second (full) season.
  20. F

Help please - my 98 5.0 Explorer started overheating, mechanic says cracked block?

Knowing military bases (retired Air Force), definitely file a complaint. I know that ripping off military personnel is a fine art just off base, but a shop ON THE BASE had better have it's stuff together to HELP military personnel. File a complaint and get the shop, or at least that mechanic...
  21. F

Mysterious power Drain....

Sure sounds like a bad alternator to me. Pull it and take it to an auto store to have them check it. You should also get a new battery, as pulling one that far down ruins it.
  22. F

Best RPM's for Gas Mileage

The best mpg speed is just fast enough to keep in the top gear. A2011 Mustang got 48.5 mpg at an average of 43.8 mph- http://green.autoblog.com/2010/06/24/2011-ford-mustang-v6-runs-776-5-miles-on-one-tank-48-5-mpg-w-v/ Just be patient when accelerating and use the hyper-miler techniques as much...
  23. F

Have and old Superchip laying around.. reflashed ??

If you research the numbers on the chip, that will tell you if it can be erased and reused. Also, it it has tape on top with a window under it, it can be erased with UV light.
  24. F

First Truck Accident

Sudden Death, I rear ended a car in Apr. It WAS my fault, as I was watching the flowering trees instead of where I was going. But, it allowed me to buy a '96 XLT that was beautifully kept. I made sure that my insurance knew that I was at fault and did not give the other driver any grief...
  25. F

cheap upgrades/performance mods!

Ranger7ltr, You can use a GPS as a speedometer. I use mine to crosscheck my speedometer, but the GPS is more accurate and, at least till you can get a speedometer gear to match the tire size, will keep you in the know about your speed..
Back