1. N

95 explorer xlt 4x4 4r55e w/bw 4405 no drive

had this happen was the shift fork in the transfer case , broke
  2. N

slow reverse and high rpms

also forgot to mention , it has no codes and od light does not flash
  3. N

slow reverse and high rpms

Ive got a 97 explorer , 4.0l ohv , 5r55e 4x4.... rebuilt tranny about 20,000 ago and a few weeks ago it started having a couple second delay going into reverse . The same time it feels like its not shifting into od , about 3g rpms at 60mph, but if I hit the od button it downshifts . It seems to...
  4. N

98 Explorer - No reverse or High / Overdrive.

Ive got a 97 explorer 5r55e ... rebuilt maybe 20,000 miles ago... few weeks ago it started having a couple second delay going into reverse and the very same time it doesn't wanna shift into its final gear till about 50 mph.. what gear that is I don't know but if I hit the od button it downshifts...
  5. N

How to: 5R55E Valve Body Rebuild Diary

69mach1, some auto stores like autozone will read the codes for free. Good luck. I dont mind working on my cars but hate getting that tranny juice all over. Ive had my pan off so much lately my driveway is covered with tranny stains, need to just put me a drain plug in but I keep telling myself...
  6. N

69mach1...yeah you can change those without pulling off the vb
  7. N

I took my down when my shift fork broke in my transfer case. I thought maybe a blown gasket in it. Anyhow after I pulled it out I seen it had the ford mod done already and the forward engagement spring was missing so I installed the white spring that came with the transgo kit I bought and back...
  8. N

wdmichael, how much was central vb? Im thinking of just replacing mine, did it come with all solenoids? Thanks.
  9. N

5r55e missing forward engagement spring

Hey people. Got a 97 explorer with 5r55e tranny. Took the valve body off not knowing it already had the ford mod done. I found the forward engagement spring missing so I replaced it. Should I of? Was it part of the ford mod, cause now I have a very soft , slipping 1st to 2nd. Any help would be...
  10. N

Does anyone know if the ford mod eliminated the forward engagement spring? I pulled my valve body off not knowing it was already fixed but when I saw the forward engagement spring missing I replaced it and now ive got a really slipping soft 1st to 2nd shift. Thanks for any help.
  11. N

5R55E shift solenoids.

I think I may be having a similar type problem. Got a 97 explorer 5r55e and when it goes to shift to 2nd it acts as if it takes it 2 tries and when it goes in od it goes back and forth also. But I switched the solenoids around and n luck. it started after I pulled the valved body off when my...
  12. N

Slow 2nd shift and od problems

Im not trying to be rude, im trying to find out if a solenoid would cause that problem or maybe the gasket, im not sure which solenoid would cause that, if at all. I pulled off the valve body for no reason, I had a different problem which I found later, but when I had it off I pulled the...
  13. N

Dude like I said its not slipping, it was fine before I switched the solenoids around, its either the solenoids or the valve body gasket, just curious if someone who KNEW might be able to help out.
  14. N

I adjusted the bands, 2 for the od and 2.5 for the inter, it improved a bit so i went a quarter more in and it helped a bit more, how far could i go with the adjustments? is it just masking the real problem?
  15. N

Gasket? I was thinking maybe one of the solenoids? I found a rebuild valve body with all the solenoids cheap, but dont want to do that if its just 1 solenoid.
  16. N

I appreciate your input, but no its not slipping its just not completing the shift as fast as it should. It started after I switched the shift solenoids around.
  17. N

Got a problem here. 97 explorer 4.0 ohv 5r55e tranny. Shifts into 2nd very slow, takes forever to complete the shift, seems to just slide into gear, like its slipping. Also it shifts into od at 45mph, if I hold the mph right at 45 it will shift in and out of od ???? Any help would be grateful.
  18. N

Broke shift fork in transfer case

im also having that problem, after replacing the shift fork about 5 thousand miles ago I started having your problem but mine also does it in reverse at times but in reverse it wont move till I put it back in park then in reverse.
  19. N

Thanks for the help II. Found my problem it was a broken shift fork in the TC, still wondering why that forward engagement valve spring was missing tho, ill replace it.
  20. N

I think I found my problem from another thread, possible broken fork in the transfer case putting the case in 4low, thats why even tho it shifts it still has high rpms. Ill tear it apart today.
  21. N

5R55E Problem Appreciate any Help

Boy am I glad I came across this thread, im having the exact same problem. Ill pull my transfer case this morning and check it out. Thank you for having such a great do-it yourself kinda site.
  22. N

Valve body gaskets looked good. I tested all the solenoids and they are all within spec. The only thing out of the ordinary I see is that missing valve spring. If the scanner I have on its way doesnt read the codes once I get it back together ill take it to the zone( if its still not working)
  23. N

Fluid looked good, I replaced the front torque converter seal 10,000 miles or so ago. No metal . My scanner didnt pick up any codes, im waiting on a friend to see if his new scanner can pick one up. ( the o/d light is flashing after it gets to about 30) I wonder how it even worked without that...
  24. N

Hello folks, new member altho I always get lots of good info here for a long time. My problem is my 97 explorer 4.0 ohv 5r55e felt like it jumped in neutral and wouldnt engage again until I shut off the engine and put it back in gear.And then it would shift really early out of first and feels...
  25. N

Troubleshooting Transmissions

I have several of these, got a 97 explorer 4.0ohv 5r55e and the other day while on the highway it felt as if it popped out of gear and had to stop turn it off and restart before it would engage again. Now it shifts way too fast and I cant go over 50mph because the rpms are out the roof. any help...
Back