Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

2012 Explorer XLT vs 2012 4Runner

Here is the decision:
  2. J

Automatic Deceleration on hills?

My wife's EX downshifts by itself on hill descents. This is without the cruise on. It would seem that any downshift would decrease fuel economy. The EX now has 3500 miles on it. The fuel economy has never been better than 19.7 MPG including one fill after 98% highway driving at 70 MPH. This is a...
  3. J

Yeah, you should see the responses on the T4R forum. They love their rides too. The biggest thing is the resale value. The Toyotas hold their value, will the Ford ??
  4. J

Thanks for your input. The third row in the 4Runner is terrible. The access is atrocious. The third row is not something we will need frequently and most of the time it will be folded down. I love my 98 Runner. I think that is the reason we are even thinking about a 2012. Resale value...
  5. J

We now own a 2012Explorer 4WD. We are contemplating a 2012 SR5 4Runner 4WD. Both vehicles have their pros and cons. The EX rides very smoothly. It is also comfortable. It has some glitches with the software on MFT. The third row access is acceptable. The 4Runner is definitely more capable off...
  6. J

Oil Change interval

I began changing the oil in my 2001 4Runner after the first 1000 miles and since switching to full synthetic, I now use 5000 mile intervals. I have the oil analyzed at Blackstone labs about once per year. The analysis has always come back with very good numbers. This vehicle has 255,000 miles...
  7. J

Mirrors with bind spot mirror panel - new?

Gee Peter, you are really old!!!!! Just kidding sir. I have the factory blind spot mirrors on my XLT and wish they were on the lower outside portion of the mirror face. At least I would be able to see my rear wheels from there. I just don't know why they were positioned on the upper half...
  8. J

Question about headlights

The DRL option is only available for fleet and Canadian sales if I'm not mistaken. AFAIK there is no user option to increase the auto headlamp sensitivity.
  9. J

Help with auto headlamps

Our XLT has auto headlamps that come on when the dial is rotated to the auto position. There is a setting on the left hand display to set the off delay to ten, twenty or thirty seconds after the vehicle is turned off. This feature doesn't seem to work for us. After the vehicle is turned off...
  10. J

This thing is a pain to wash!

This is an old thread but I thought I would add something as I feel the EX is a PITA to wash. I vacuum the water out of the crevices and mirrors with a Shop Vac. Works better than a blower !!
  11. J

Vehicle Security System: Part No: 7L3Z-19A361-AA

Isn't the perimeter alarm standard equipment on the Explorer XLT and Ltd models?
  12. J

First Oil change 2012 XLT Explorer

I think the cover is only on vehicles with towing package? It protects the oil cooler lines I assume.
  13. J

HI Cory, Could you take a close look at the oil pan pic that I posted? It almost looks like the metal might fail prematurely. Let me know what you think. I have never seen a pan look alligatored like that. JOE
  14. J

Come to think of it, this is the most expensive vehicle I have ever owned. Cheap insurance is correct. Plus I get to poke around down there and check out Drivetrain components etc
  15. J

Six quarts with the 3.5 L.
  16. J

Picture number 3 is actually the oil pan. I wondered myself if that was cracked but it looks like some kind of pot metal or aluminum. I usually change the oil after the first 1000 miles just in case there are any metal debris inside the crankcase. It's probably not necessary but I feel better...
  17. J

2013 Ford Explorer Orders

What did Jesus say to the Cubs ? "Don't do anything until I return" Sorry, I couldn't resist. Just kidding you. Joe
  18. J

Washing the exterior of the 2012 Explorer

I have tried Back to Black but it doesn't seem to last very long. The Trimshine worked well but I am a little concerned about overspray on my paint. The directions and warnings on the spray can do not address it at all.
  19. J

Thanks CDN.. I picked up some Trimshine from O'reillys auto parts today. I tried it out on the old 4Runner and it seems to do a good job. The plastic is now shiny again on the top of the rear bumper. I guess will see how long it lasts, but it looks new again.
  20. J

Help I scraped the outside door pillar (plastic part)

I have a similar problem. After we got home with our XLT, I noticed the same area had plenty of swirl marks where someone had used the wrong type of rag or whatever and I don't know how to remove the marks without doing more damage. Can anyone make any suggestions? There is NO inconspicuous...
  21. J

I just changed the oil for the first time in the 2012 Explorer. It has nearly 1000 miles on the odometer and I always do the first change around 1000 miles. I am using Mobil 1 5W-20 Full Synthetic with a Motorcraft fl500S filter. This had to be the EASIEST oil change I have ever done on any...
  22. J

http://www.moreshine.com/retail.htm This is the retailer listing. Hope this helps. Joe
  23. J

Yesterday the weather was warm enough for me to hand wash our new Ex for the first time (44F). The door panels, hood, rear lift gate were a breeze to clean. I noticed that there are more nooks and crannies on this Ex than any vehicle I have ever owned. The plastic fascia below the doors and the...
  24. J

True 4wd? Or awd?

Peter, Our EX is an XLT with Michelin Latitude Tour HP's. This was one of the reasons we decided on the XLT model. Of course the price tag was another reason. I like the Explorer so far but the navigation of the hill will be the determining factor as to whether we keep it after winter.
Back