Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. The Ranger

The Ranger

2001 Ranger XLT 4x4 Extended Cab Flareside. 4:10 Regular Axle, 3.0L V-6
  2. S

Any advice on talking the girlfriend out of a '11 JGC and into an Explorer?

Thanks for the advice everyone. Well it looks like the GC won out, well actually almost, I am negotiating with them to put a mopar trailer hitch on it. Other than that we should be sold on a dark green base 4x4 Laredo. I honestly didn't think I would like the GC as much as I did even with the...
  3. S

I was comparing an XLT Explorer with MFT and AWD with a JGC Laredo 4wd. The Explorer was about 4k more expensive and the JGC had almost 4k in incentives while the Explorer had none (I know that this is actually a good thing for Ford but not for my girlfriend since she was already leaning toward...
  4. S

I am slowly starting to hate Mopar. So the GC that she is getting does not have a trailer hitch ($780 for Mopar) and you HAVE to get the Mopar roof cross bars in order to fit anything on it thats another $500. Why are Mopar accessories so damn expensive?
  5. S

My girlfriend is looking for a new vehicle to lease and has always done Grand Cherokees (besides her current Charger), anyways I have been hyping the new Explorer a lot and we finally went and test drove an XLT with the MFT as well as a Laredo Grand Cherokee. She thinks that the MFT is to...
  6. S

Stock cross bars or Yakima system?

Thanks for your reply. I think you just sold me on going the Yakima route instead of trying to find some OEM crossbars. I will be carrying two kayaks so I need the extra supported weight. Thanks again.
  7. S

Actually the junk yard rails wouldn't really be the rails just the cross members since the rails are already on the vehicle. Sorry for the confusion, I should have been more clear. Basically should I find a sent of OEM cross bars or get an after market set from Yakima? Since I already have half...
  8. S

I know this isn't towing int he traditional sense but one of the reasons to have our Explorer is to transport our kayaks. Now the question is the Explorer that we are looking at does not have the factory cross bars just the rails. Would it be better to get the factory cross bars from a junk yard...
  9. S

What to look for in a use 2007?

Awesome, thank you for the advice. It is a tan interior (which I am not a fan of, I have had one and promptly totaled the Ranger so I don't have a good track record with them). It is a Ford dealer that it is at, should I be worried about the hubs or anything at that mileage? Also since it has...
  10. S

Thank you very much for the information, I did not know this. So any 06-10 Explorer that has the Class IV hitch has a 3.73 rear? I'm still use to my good old Ranger that had the 4.10 LS rear. After looking up the information on the towing capacity of the Class II hitch I think we should be...
  11. S

Greetings everyone. I have been out of the Explorer game for a while, previously I have owned a 1995 Limited and a 2002 XLT but currently drive a 2010 Fusion SEL. Anyways the girlfriend and I are looking at a 2007 XLT 4.0L 4WD. From what I can tell the only option that it has is the color...
  12. S

what class trailer hitch?

Same here, my wife fell in love with one that only had a class II hitch and I refused to buy it because of the stupid way to get myself a class III hitch. We ended up with an '02 V-6 that had the towing package. We are happy with it, but I think that 99% of the explorers that I see have the...
  13. S

what class trailer hitch?

Why is that? I cannot be that much more expensive to have all of them with the Class III. To me personally a class I or II is useless.
  14. S

My '02 XLT Sport with my yak

hahha now THAT would be interesting!
  15. S

My '02 XLT Sport with my yak

Well I finally got around to taking some pictures of the 2002 Explorer XLT Sport that we have had for the last two years. Enjoy
  16. S

Photos 3rd gen pic's

Eh, I figure I would add a few new pics. Just got done detailing it and put the yak up on top.
  17. S

2005: Did they fix the trans? How do you transport a canoe?

Actually the roof rack is not that bad on it. I just purchased a Yakima Bowdown rack for my kayak. if you are not planning on using any type of additional rack you should be able to just push the front bar all the way forward and the rear bar all the way back and time the canoe down that way. It...
  18. S

What to do with rusting running boards?

I have the nerf type running boards on my Ex and they are starting to rust (imagine that). I have been debating on getting some of that spray on bed liner stuff and giving them a nice black finish. Anyone done this? Does it look strange to have black running boards when the rest of the vehicle...
  19. S

Does this sound like a good offer or should I offer more or less?

Its always interesting reading these threads. We purchased our 2002 XLT Sport (V6 tow package) with 112,000 miles on it for $4,800. The guy was basically begging us to take it off his lot. We purchased it in 2008 right when gas was around $3.50 a gallon and he had the thing on his lot for almost...
  20. S

At what mileage did you replace your shocks?

We have a 2002 XLT Sport that has about 125,000 miles on it. At what point did you change your shocks and did it make much different in the ride quality? With our 95 when I changed the shocks it was like night and day difference, but with the new IRS in the 02 I am not sure if it is worth...
  21. S

Door Ajar Light On - saw on a test drive

WD-40 works about 90% of the time. And most of the time I find its the drivers door that is the problem.
  22. S

Stock roof rack?

Thats good to hear. Thanks for all the comments. I purchased a Yakima Bowdown today after measuring it to make sure it would clear my garage door fine. The wife will be happy when the wet kayak is no longer in her explorer.
  23. S

Stock roof rack?

Hello everyone, I have recently purchased a kayak and am looking on getting one for the wife. I have been researching roof racks for the kayaks from Yakima (most notably the Hullraiser Aero) and am wondering if the stock roof rack with the cross bars is going to hold up alright under highway...
  24. S

need cool new seats...

My local junk yard has a nice set of black leathers that I am about to pull the trigger on. I'm still a little sketchy about the wiring for the power seat but think that I will get them anyways.
Back