Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. H

Free: Gen II Explorer Haynes Manual

Free to a good home. Pay shipping an the '95-2001 Explorer Haynes Manual is yours. Been lovingly used by myself over the years.
  2. H

Rollover Black Bear Pass: Please Buckle Up!

I met many EF members during the two Ouray, CO CCR's that I attended (2007 & 2008), so I wanted to pass this along in hopes that no one here ever gets into this situation: http://denver.cbslocal.com/2014/09/01/none-injured-in-rollover-on-mountain-pass/ It was the Jeep in front of me. I was...
  3. H

Hokie's looking for a Ford DD/light tow rig

Hey guys, Long time no talk. Many apologies for my absence on this board. Y'all were darn near family to me while in college and grad school and since then I've fallen off the map. Well, the good news is: I'm in the market for a new SUV and I've got my sights set on a 2006+ (4th Gen?)...
  4. H

Hokie's coming home!

Hey Guys! Its been a very tough 2 years since I left Colorado, but I'm finally headed back! Global Warming finally happened and Cummins 'un-froze' the hiring freeze in Denver. Still don't drive a Ford (or Mercury), but I'm already pricing used Rangers on Craigstlist. Anyway, sorry I've...
  5. H

FINALLY!!!! No more friggin' Subaru Outback!

Hey guys, I apologize for the considerable absence from this forum. I haven't forgotten y'all, I've just gone through a tremendous amount of crap in my life in the last 9-12 months... :dunno: Anyway, I FINALLY got rid of the freaking Les-baru Outback, that I've been driving for going on 2...
  6. H

'01-'05 ST or '01-'04 Ranger?

I can't decide which I would rather get... I'd like to have a Ranger with a camper shell so I could carry my bikes/skis/outdoor gear in an enclosed area but then I'm limited to only carrying one passenger. I'd like to have the 4-5 seat capability of the ST but I can't fit my bikes in the...
  7. H

Anyone in Denver want to help me buy an Explorer?

Who am I kidding... I need to be driving an Explorer, not a damn Subaru I miss my old Sport and want another one... This one is listed on Fort Collins Craigslist but is located in Arvada http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/car/757743716.html I'll be in Colorado again in 4 weeks and will be...
  8. H

2009 Mahindra Appalachian diesel pickup

Anybody heard of this? http://www.autoblog.com/2008/02/11/mahindra-appalachian-diesel-pickup-arrives-in-us-next-year-dies/ More information here
  9. H

98 Mounty 3.73's -> 4.10's -> 3.73's

Maybe I'm glutton for punishment... When I bought the Mounty I swapped its axles with my old '99 Sport, regearing it to 4.10s. I built this truck figuring I would go to 285's (33's) and have since decided that I wasn't going that big. I ran it like this for about 8-9 months with 265/75R16...
  10. H

Anybody along the Front Range interested in 4.10's for their 2nd Gen?

Here's the deal you've been looking for... I've got 4.10's in my '98 Mountaineer and I'm probably going to lower it back to stock, so I'm looking to get 3.73's back in it. The rear axle is a 4.10 L/S from a '99 Sport, the front axle is from a low mileage '01 Explorer. The idea is to park...
  11. H

Will a '97 rear end work on a '98+ Explorer with ABS?

Anybody know if a '97 rear axle (with ABS) work on a '98+ with ABS? I know the '97 gets it's speed from the t-case, whereas the '98+ get speed from the rear ABS speed sensor. A '97 still has a rear ABS speed sensor, it's just not used for vehicle speed. I would think that that the '97 ABS speed...
  12. H

Front Range Ski/Snowboard trip planning thread

I figure we might as well have one thread for all of our 2007/2008 ski/snowboard season trip discussions... What - skiing/snowboarding When - This Saturday, December 8th Where - Keystone/A-Basin Meet - TBD Time - TBD... EARLY (7:30 AM) Jenni, Jeff ~ this thread is aimed at y'all ;)
  13. H

Driver's side exhaust leak

Add another item to the list of things that have gone wrong with my Mounty :rolleyes: I've noticed during acceleration on the interstate that there is more exhaust noise/resonance than there should be. It's been noticeable on the driver's side, near the firewall. Fast forward to this weekend...
  14. H

Slaughterhouse Gulch, Saturday 10/13

So we don't clog up Jenni's thread, I figured I'd start this one. :thumbsup: When: Saturday, October 13th Where: Slaughterhouse Gulch Why: To see the changing Aspens and last chance to wheel before the snows. :cool: Info: TrailDamage.com write-up Directions: Meeting Places Meet in...
  15. H

CSU student dies in roll-over on Kelly Flats trail

Have fun but be safe out there guys. Buckle up, use your head. And for God's sakes, don't mix alcohol and 4wheelin' :( Students in rollover among large group of campers My heart goes out for the families of all of those involved. :(
  16. H

Bad bearing-like noise in front end

Ok guys, I'm getting tired of chasing this noise in my front end so I figured I would ask for help. I have alot of road noise/grumbling/rumbling coming from my front end. It is a rotational noise, dependant on speed (not engine RPMs). It sounds similar to what I heard when my wheel bearings...
  17. H

Hokie's '98 Mounty Elite Registery

1998 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0L V8 4R70W auto tranny Factory skid plates Tan leather interior Reese 2" Class IV hitch All clean after I bought the truck from my dad: The planning quickly began: My two favorite wheelin' pics from the 2007 Labor Day Ouray, CO CCR Body Thule/Yakima roof...
  18. H

'98 Mounty with 6" KC's behind grille, 5" Pro Comp fogs on with high beams

'98 Mounty with 6" KC's behind grille, 5" fogs rewired to stay on with high beams Well I finally got my front end finalized. After I added the body lift I had to loose my stock fog lamps :( , so I mounted my 5" pro comp fog lights in the factory location. The Pro Comp's have the same wattage as...
  19. H

Colorado Confederates? Funny dollar store find

So I cruise into the local Fort Collins dollar store and find this. It was only a dollar so I couldn't resist... I find it really funny to see things like this for sale in Colorado though...
  20. H

High resistance on stock fog light ground wires?

I added aftermarket fogs and am wiring them through my stock fog wire wiring (same wattage as stock). I went to adjust them today: put my wrench on the mounting nut, it grounded out against the frame and blew the fog light fuse. I check the ground circuit and and I've got really high...
  21. H

Tighten your caliper bracket bolts!

So my truck developed this weird clunk/rattling noise on the passenger side when going over bumps. I was thinking that my ball joints were shot or that the spindle nut had back off and that I was hearing the axle bearings hitting in the race. I pull the wheel off and crawl under the truck and...
  22. H

Click/clunk on manual 4406 after lifting off the throttle

My manual 4406 seems to be developing an interesting characteristic. When I let off the throttle, sometimes it will click, sometimes it will clunk. If I hold the shifter I can feel a solid click/clunk to go with the noise. It seems to do it in 2WD and 4WD. I pulled the front D shaft and it...
  23. H

5.0 + 2wd + stock tires + 4.10s = FUN!

So I swapped my rear axles today. (Which, BTW - swapping axles from vehicle to vehicle, in an apartment parking lot with only hand tools, one jack and no help is not on my list of fun things to do!) As it currently sits my '98 MTNR has 4.10's in the rear with a true 2WD (manual 4406 swap)...
  24. H

Safe to tow 5x10 or 6x12 closed trailer?:1200 mi IN to CO

I'm looking at my options for when I move out to Ft. Collins, Colorado in August. It's a relatively flat 1200 miles/20 hours between Indiana and CO. (Ft. Collins is on the western edge of the Colorado high plains) Here are the tow rig specs: '98 Mounty 5.0 BW 4406 Manual t-case 2/3" BL +...
  25. H

Hokie's gonna be a Ram!

Just got a call from Colorado State... I have been accepted into the Graduate Department of Mechanical Engineering for Fall '07! I will be going back to school to get an MSME with a focus on alternative energy. I will be working as a Graduate Research Assitant at the Engines and Energy...
Back