Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. K

Shaving rotors vs. installing new rotors

edwx, is there any way to make sure it's not the caliper, before I start buying the parts?
  2. K

Stock 6-disc changer problem

Unfortunately the forum is full of horror stories about the CD changer. I bought my X with the changer and that's the first thing that had to be thrown out - it just would not accept CD's. Bought a regular Ford disk player for around $80, works like a charm.
  3. K

Thanks guys, I will replace the rotors! Any suggestions for good rotors (and pads to go along)?
  4. K

Along with some of the people on the forum, when I break, I feel pulsating in the breaks. From reading the posts, it seems the rotors are warped. My question - is it better to try to shave them (unfortunately I don't know which one is bad, so I guess all four have to be done), or just replace...
  5. K

Transmission Line snap on holders

Don't know how else to describe them. It's shown in the picture below. What's the use for them (what are they called?), just a dirt-stopper or something more useful? I noticed that out of 4 pairs I just had 2 halves on the transmission lines. Should I replace or forget about it?
  6. K

leaky 2006 explorer

I would suggest getting a radiator from radiator.com and installing yourself. After that, go to the dealer to reflash ECM with TSB 09-8-1 update.
  7. K

2006 explorer radiator

For me about a pint leaked out. There's plenty of fluid left in the transmission. I lost a pint during the radiator install. And then about a pint when I was checking the ATF level. Took it to a mechanic later, he said the level is still fine.
  8. K

2006 explorer radiator

Did exactly that - thanks.
  9. K

Aftermarket radiator afterthoughts

Just some thoughts after replacing a leaking radiator. I got the radiator at proradiators from Ebay for 105.70. It came with a 1 year warranty. I've spent about 2-3 hours removing the old radiator. And that's when the fun started. The brackets that hold the radiator would not fit the new...
  10. K

Fighting AC Smell

Guys, I have to get rid off the bad smell from the AC. I've searched the web and and discovered that I have to spray fabreeze/lysol into the AC vents. But for the life of me I can't find the vents on 06 Explorer under the wipers, can somebody help me out, thanks. Do I also have to spray into the...
  11. K

5R55S refill help

I changed my radiator and about a pint of ATF came out. I got the instructions online on how to do a ATF level check. Got my adapter for the plug and the pump, so all the tools are handy. Got the car running, shifted through all the gears and unscrewed the drain plug. Another pint dripped out of...
  12. K

2006 explorer radiator

kkeach, read this thread and make sure the dealer applies the software update for the TSB mentioned there: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277844
  13. K

Radiator replacement on a 2006 Explorer.

Thanks, will make sure that's added.
  14. K

6R60 trans fluid change

I added fluid because I changed the radiator and lost some. Here're the tools: OTC 6604 and ATD 5004. They're the cheapest at Amazon with free shipping.
  15. K

frankie15oct, you can actually add fluid yourself, there are two tools ($30) that you need to access the plug and add the fluid. Can you please post the TSB number of the fan update, I'll have to get that update done too and just wanted to make sure it will be added to pcm.
  16. K

6R60 trans fluid change

Sorry, I misread the topic. I'm only adding fluid. :(
  17. K

6R60 trans fluid change

I got the oil pump and the "screw-in-tool" for around $30. Find the instructions online and you're good to go.
  18. K

Question regarding 09B11

docdan48, thanks. Just contacted them and you're right! They will replace it for free.
  19. K

Question regarding 09B11

09B11 Customer Satisfaction Program - Certain 2006 and 2007 Model Year Explorer, Mountaineer, and SportTrac Vehicles - Transmission Gearshift Lever Park Detect Switch Published 01/15/2010 My question is regarding the issue above. My X is out of warranty and I'm the second owner. Sometimes...
  20. K

Re-flashing ECM question

Guys, question from the subject line. I'm out-of-warranty, so will be paying for the update myself and want to get as much out of my $100 as I can. When I bring the car in to be reflashed and the dealer connects to my ECM, does his computer tell him all the updates and TSB's that are out there...
  21. K

2007 Explorer replacing single disk stereo with 6 disk changer?

There are currently a couple on Ebay. I saw them couple of days ago, check it out. If you can't find it let me know, I'll help you out.
  22. K

frankie15oct, did you plug the transmission lines in any way not to lose the fluid? I guess the X is not under warranty (if you did the change yourself), do you have to pay for PCM reprogramming?
  23. K

2007 Explorer replacing single disk stereo with 6 disk changer?

Yes it will fit. Just watch out, the CD changers go bad pretty quickly. This forum has plenty of stories where people changed them numerous times. My CD changer went bad and I just replaced it with an OEM cd player/radio. There are less parts to break in a regular CD player.
  24. K

Programing new key

Also had the same situation. From what I've read online you have to get the second key programmed by the dealer if you only have one key. I was hesitent about trying to program myself, did not want to stall the engine. Here's what I've done with the second key. Got a blank key from ebay for...
  25. K

Level of coolant in the radiator

Found the answers here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210523, yes I'm a leaker too. Found these excellent instructions for radiator removal here: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/timnoll/2008-12-07_042429_2006_explorer_radiator_removal.pdf Maybe they should be stickied...
Back