Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Oil pan gasket replacement procedure

I just dropped the pan as far as it would. If you have a one piece rubber gasket then you can cut it and pull the whole thing out pretty easily. Getting the new gasket in was a PITA. I pulled the gasket open and stretched it around the pan until the holes lined up. The hardest part was squeezing...
  2. S

92 Ranger Loud clunking with rough idle

I recently bought a 92 Ford Ranger, 2.3l, 5 speed. This truck was bought simply to use as a backup that would be cheaper on fuel. When I first looked at the truck, it ran and shifted fine. It had/has a check engine light but these trucks are fairly simple to work on so I went ahead and bought...
  3. S

What type transmission in RWD?

lol I said the same thing about carrying around an extra transmission. This vehicle is RWD and the differential was already rebuilt. The thumping has been narrowed down to either the rear suspension or the transmission. The first transmission shop I went to said he thought it was the suspension...
  4. S

Dealership said about 3-4k. Local transmission shop said 1400-1800 but likely closer to 1400 since this transmission is common. They rebuilt another transmission for me in the past so I'm certain they can fix it. I could remove it myself I suppose. Rebuilding it myself is out of the question...
  5. S

My 99 Mountaineer RWD 5.0 may have a transmission burning up. I took it to the dealership today and they think the thump I'm getting might be the transmission after all. I just noticed a couple days ago the thump on stop I'm hearing is getting worse and I'm also starting to smell what I can only...
  6. S

Max TT length?

Thanks for the reply. I plan to stay within the weight limits for sure. I just wasn't sure if a longer trailer, even if within a reasonable weight, would be too much to control if winds became an issue. Once I hit the panhandle of Texas and into New Mexico the winds tend to be stronger due...
  7. S

Max TT length?

I am in need of a travel trailer to stay in on some land I just bought while our house is built. This will be a one way trip, about 1500 miles from Missouri to Arizona. The camper will never be moved again unless it is sold. I am aware of the weight limits for my Mountaineer. I have a class...
  8. S

trailer hitch confusion

I am looking to get a trailer hitch installed and I am finding two different hitches, both which mount differently, that claim to fit my 99 Mountaineer 5.0, auto, 4 door. Two hitches are this curt hitch and also this one. Do they both fit and what is the difference? Any advantage to...
  9. S

leaf spring replacement

Ok, what is the fix? I already lubed the slip yoke and that didn't fix the thump.
  10. S

leaf spring replacement

I only have the one piece drive shaft. According to the transmission shop there is nothing wrong with the drive line.
  11. S

leaf spring replacement

Still have this problem. I haven't been able to get it fixed because the shops and dealership can't say with any certainty what the problem may be. Well today I had to hook onto a trailer to tow. I had about 500lbs on the trailer, nothing too heavy. I noticed every time I came to a complete...
  12. S

Pinging

Yes the light works. It goes out and doesn't show any fault codes.
  13. S

Pinging

So I've searched around and got a few good ideas but I want to make sure on something. My 99 Mountaineer 5.0 has been pinging when climbing hills. It sounds like an aluminum can with marbles inside. I can make it do this simply by accellerating hard enough. I first noticed it when trying to...
  14. S

Can I pull roughly 5500-6000 lbs?

Will my stock 99 Mountaineer 5.0 automatic 373 gears pull a tandem axle flatbed trailer with 500 gallons of water? Trailer is about 1500lbs, maybe a little less. Water would be about 4000lbs. Poly tank itself is roughly 100-150lbs. Mountaineer may have an extra 100 lbs of weight not...
  15. S

leaf spring replacement

Been chasing a gremlin for quite some time, the annoying thump when I stop. I finally gave up and took it to the dealership and the master tech said it was either driveline or suspension related. I decided to take it to a transmission shop to find out more on the driveline possibility. The...
  16. S

code P0401

I did that and yes if I apply suction to the EGR while it is running it is will stumble. I also retested my DPFE sensor and I think it might be bad. The return sensor voltage never changed at idle, even when I applied suction to the EGR. The reference wires have 4 to 6 volts but the return...
  17. S

code P0401

Sorry for the lengthy post but I like to get as much detail out as possible. I did google this so I have some information and understanding, but I'm still a bit confused. I'm hoping someone can help me make sense of this before I start spending money. My cel light came on yesterday and I...
  18. S

loud brake noise

I installed some new rotors and ceramic pads on my Mountaineer, front and back. I noticed I was getting a lot of front end brake creaking when letting off the brakes or with only light pressure. I figured they needed to be broke in so I gave it a couple weeks and the noise didn't quit, so I...
  19. S

diff gears

I found my pinion gear has three chipped teeth so I'm going to just replace the gears since I was already rebuilding the differential. They don't contact the wear pattern, but the idea of using them after going through all this work isn't sitting well with me. I have 373 gears now. My question...
  20. S

output shaft play?

Well I tore into the differential today. I found the traction lok has 3 broken tabs on the discs and the rest look bent or scarred on the outside edges, like they were slamming back and forth. I'm wondering if this could be the cause for the thumping sound I'm getting in the rear. Maybe the...
  21. S

output shaft play?

I replaced the U-joints already. I also have all new shocks, inner and outer tie rods, ball joints (upper and lower), bushings in the front and rear (except leaf spring bushings). I recently put new rotors and pads on the front and back. I also have a new transmission mount. Btw, I just...
  22. S

output shaft play?

I know very little about transmissions so keep this in mind. I have a 99 Mountaineer, 5.0, 2WD auto. I have been chasing a thump sound that occurs when I come to a complete stop too fast and when I take off. I have replaced so many parts already. I used some Teflon (XG?) grease from the Ford...
  23. S

Wheels still wobbling

I forgot to mention that. I had the wheels checked at the shop when the new tires were put on. The mechanic said the machine detected some wheel hop from it, but nothing that would fail a test. So he didn't think the wheels were bad enough to be causing this problem. Just to make sure though...
  24. S

Wheels still wobbling

Ok so I've had a wheel wobble problem with both rear tires on my 99 Mountaineer, RWD, auto, 5.0. I noticed the vehicle was swaying side to side in the rear so I jacked it up and let the rear wheels spin and sure enough I could see both rear wheels wobbling, but the driver side was the worst...
  25. S

axle bearings

Of course. The brakes are new. Everything was cleaned up with brake cleaner before reinstalling. I am certain it is the axle bearing. I've had one go bad before so I'm familiar with the sound. Furthermore, my pinion seal is leaking which increases the chances of the axle bearings not getting...
Back