Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX?

I'm closing in 344K now. Have to put an exhaust on it this weekend, the Gibson I installed 4 years ago can't be patched up anymore...
  2. R

Ordered a Torsen for my D35 today...

I've been keeping a list. PM your contact info and I will add you to it (this goes for anyone else that's interested).
  3. R

Ordered a Torsen for my D35 today...

You would order direct from Torsen. However, we are out of stock on them now (for some reason, there has been a run on them recently). We are beginning to produce another batch, but in all honesty, it'll probably be late spring before they're ready.
  4. R

97 5.0 awd questions

I'm running 31x10.5 BFGs on my '98 with no changes to the suspension. I've not come across any evidence of any rub anywhere. They're mounted on Ranger FX4 L2 Alcoa wheels, FWIW.
  5. R

How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX?

301K on my '98 Mountaineer V8. Original engine and trans, but the t-case and rear axle have been replaced. Just put a water pump and timing gear set in a few thousand miles back.
  6. R

Automatic climate control problems

Got it. Chalk it up to mechanic boneheadedness. After my last post, I realized that I couldn't recall plugging the connector for the cruise servo back in after the fan-adectimy, and so I went outside to check. Sure enough, I'd left it out. So, apparently, faulting the cruise control by...
  7. R

Fuse #s 9, 10, & 13 all appear to be good. The only other thing that comes to mind is that when I replaced the fan motor, of course, I had to relocate the cruise control servo during the operation. Obviously, I put it back when done, and I have no reason to believe that it would impact the...
  8. R

The cruise is not working. I checked that as soon as I realised the other steering wheel controls were out. The horn does work, BTW; I was able to beep it with my remote when I locked it this morning. On another note, this morning the EATC was directing air through the dash vents, floor...
  9. R

Well, actually, when I found that the air was coming through the defrost only, I swapped in the vacuum manifold from my spare unit (the one I was rebuilding was the OEM assy). And, when I went to test it out, everything was working properly. I had air coming through the vents and to the floor...
  10. R

I ran a self-check diagnostic on the EATC just to see and it came up 888, so I assume that the EATC at least thinks all is well. I also set about rebuilding the EATC spare unit. Unlike the references that I found online (mostly what I saw on f150online.com), the vacuum assembly on mine was not...
  11. R

And it was off to the auto part store indeed. I just replaced the blower motor, and I now have fan-driven air movement. When I removed the old one, looking in through the vent hole, it looked like it was real dirty and worn in where I could see. So, anyway, good day so far... Now that I...
  12. R

Well, I gave it a few taps with my fist, but it didn't make a difference. I will add, though, that when the fan first started to fault, it would come and go with bumps in the road. Seems like sorta the same thing...
  13. R

I was reading at the wires, I mean that I was grounding to the motor ground wire rather than a chassis ground. So, that sounds consistant with the description that albi1cnobi1 provided. When I grounded to chassis, I'm pretty sure I saw only 12V. And regarding the relay, I couldn't imagine any...
  14. R

I did probe the contacts for the relay, however I couldn't really get into the terminals of it with the relay in place to verify that there was current out of the relay on the appropriate terminal. I could, however, feel the relay click on and off when it was cycled. Also, at the end of the...
  15. R

Well, that's what I'm trying to do, although I admit overlooking one of the fuses involved. Perhaps I'm just not as efficient about the process as you are. With the relay, I simply borrowed the ABS one since it was same style/pinout. I've checked the blower motor connection - I do have power...
  16. R

OK, here's what's new in the last 10 minutes (I have the laptop out in the Mountaineer while diagnosing). Yesterday, I was checking the wrong plug. I was going on the color description on the plug pin-out diagram to ID C297 and C298, but that was backwards from the actual once I compared the...
  17. R

Sorry, I didn't realize that the wiring diagram identified the fuse numbers.
  18. R

Well, now the question that I have is: is there a specific fuse for the EATC system in the fuse panel? I don't have an owners manual for the vehicle, so I can't look it up readily. I had started checking through the fuses, but it takes a while without any guidance.
  19. R

I took your advice and pulled it apart after I got home from work. In testing the plugs, I found that pins #2 & 3 on connector C297 (nonswitched 12V & main ground) don't seem to be working. I have power to the switched 12V pin, but none to the always-hot pin. And the ground didn't seem to...
  20. R

I'm thinking along those line too. To sum up what I've experienced: the EATC issue started with intermittant fan operation. I replaced the fan controller, to no avail. So I swapped head units, and in so doing, no head unit since plugged in has operated correctly. However, it is powered, at...
  21. R

It's been a while since I posted an update on this, but there hasn't been much to update. At least not in terms of resolution. I spoke with a guy yesterday that runs a shop locally that specializes in AC service. He seemed surprised that the head unit did nothing at all, coupled with the...
  22. R

Thanks for the offer, I'll keep that in mind if I can't find anything locally. Yes, that's the procedure I've tried to access the self-test mode. However, I should qualify that it doesn't turn off anymore - the "off" button is one of the many that it ignores. I may be able to try at some...
  23. R

OK, I've let this issue slide awhile, but it has become damn cold outside (13F currently)and no heat on the morning commute is rather unpleasant. OK, here's what I can say at the moment: for starters, the unit will not enter the self-test mode. In fact, the only buttons that generate any...
  24. R

Ah, ok. Well, I did also replace the overhead compass/temp display as well recently, so maybe I upset a wiring connection up there and just didn't notice before. It does seem like, at 271K miles, this vehicle is mechanically very sound. However, the secondary electronics don't have the...
  25. R

Wow, that's a lot of information to sift through. I'll poke around with it this weekend and see what I come up with. I'll probably try the self-test this afternoon though. One side question for the moment - does the sun load sensor that's tied into the system also switch the automatic...
Back