Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

98 Explorer Transmission problem + more

hey, i have just replaced the trans in my 98 and fyi electrical harness wise it is 98 specific. one year only cause ford did some electrical changes. i went on ebay and bought a used 98 trans from a reputable company. you still take chance by doing this but it is what it is. the trans shops here...
  2. J

when buying a used 5r55e what should be done

with the servos, is there a thread on them cause i have no idea how to replace them, this is my first go around with an automatic. I am willing to do whatever it takes to get this transmission as reliable as possible. once again thanks for the info, knowledge is priceless..
  3. J

Thanks guys for the good info!
  4. J

I am forced to buy a used 1998 5r55e. I have a few questions with band adjustment from what i have read is it really 2.5 turns back or is it 2 turns, just want to be sure. and should i go with mobil 1 or just normal mercon5. should i also do the shift kit or wait and see how the trans feels when...
  5. J

Need help! rebuild myself or pay the man!

Ok, Im mechanic, but I work on mack and volve trucks. I do have the capacity to probably rebuild my 5r55e, but i have never opened an automatic trans up. can anyone give me some advice please, and if you have or know where to find detailed knowledge of the rebuild steps and processes i would...
  6. J

How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX?

187,100 miles on my 98, but i need to rebuild the trans.
  7. J

Small rear shock?

I had a vibration without it, but randomly not all the time. now with a new one the random vibration is gone....
  8. J

torque converter issues????

unfortunately, their scanner doesent pick up the tranny codes.:(
  9. J

Fuel Gauge fluctuate

Your not alone with this issue, but im sure mine is due to movement of the gasoline on accel and braking. whether it is due to electrical malfunction and or mechanical failure, most likely a new sending/fuel pump unit would be in order. For me I will most likely wait till I need to replace fuel...
  10. J

torque converter issues????

hello everyone, I hope somebody can shine some light on my situation... I have the 5r55e trans and I have a torq converter code. transmission shop was nice enough to tell me that but they did not tell me what code. im thinking tcc selenoid but not sure, so this is whats happening.. trans shifts...
  11. J

transmission over heating? problems

Hey guys. I believe that my trans is slitly over heating when outside temps are above 90deg and i know for sure it overheated when i was towing my boat. i have changed fluid and filter when i replaced engine so its got good fluid and filter. now i am almost wondering if my exhaust pipes that run...
  12. J

overdrive wont turn off!

Im definitly going to check for voltage again using an actual ground off fuse block and if it's still not 12v then looks like i get to have the fun of searching for a bad wire! Thanks for the help! I will post when I find the problem so that maybe it could help someone else later
  13. J

overdrive wont turn off!

Hmm my backup lights are not working either, but I did check that specific fuse and all others and they were all good. Interesting! i wonder if a wire broke! oh yea and I tested voltage with volt meter at one of the pin sockets and grounded at dash. IF a wire or ground was bad for the backup...
  14. J

overdrive wont turn off!

Hey guy's. The fluid is good,Lol. I wish it were that simple! As for the switch AKA the button on end of shifter, the haynes manual said to check for continuity across the pins of the switch as depressed, if no continuity then switch is bad. I checked and the switch, per haynes check should be good.
  15. J

overdrive wont turn off!

Well my over drive off button seems to do nothing. I have checked the switchs resistance and it checks out ok, i checked for voltage to switch and voltage is only at 3.2 volts, i do not know if that is normal, all i know is i am not able to turn my over drive off! Transmissions are my weak point...
  16. J

97 Explorer Sport engine swap with 99 Explorer

I just swapped out my 98 with a 99 motor and i had to use my original wiring harness and injectors/rails. But really not as bad of a swap as it looks, just be gentle with the injectors when you remove them, they have this hard rubber sleeve that goes in the head for the injector and some might...
  17. J

NOTE! For replacing balance shaft tensioner in vehicle

Just to let anyone know ahead of time if you need to replace balance shaft chain tensioner while engine is in vehicle you need to drop front axle down, it will only drop so far before cv axles rest on lower control arms. You will need to lift motor up a couple inches, my upper intake is off so...
  18. J

updated or not? left side timing chain cassette

Hey bluestream1, I can't find my usb cord to connect camera to computer for pics, but my primary chain andtensioner looked ok. im still going to update though. I currently have the axle dropped and im about to lift motor up just enough, i hope at least just enough to slide upper pan out im going...
  19. J

Hey guys, I actually meant that the left cam tensioner that was in the engine originally -looked like the same as the rear cam tensioner the replacement in the m012 kit looked like the correct tensioner for the left cam. And as to any warranty or non warranty repairs, i have no idea, i got the...
  20. J

Over Heat Help

There are three major components to a cooling system; the water pump the thermostat and radiator, ok and cooling fan. if no leaks are found anywhere, look good! then you can pretty much rule out leaks or water pump issues. You said that rad cap came apart if this is true it could easily be the...
  21. J

Thanks! It seems the cassette is an updated one, but i wonder why the m012 campaign was never done, or the primary chain tensioner? did ford just replace what was absolutly necessary back then? Well either way I have already completed the m012 replacement and additon of scientific oil plug...
  22. J

Hey guys! once again i need some experienced help. I have my timing chain cover off and left side valve cover off, rattling seemed to be coming from primary chain, the left side cam cassette looks to be in good shape and it does have a somewhat rigid metal backing on it. Does this metal backing...
  23. J

cam chain cassette

Thanks for the info! it makes me feel a bit better that it can be without removing the head. And actually the main reason im goin in to there is to replace crank to jackshaft tensioner and guide, but i have heard soo much about the left cam that im going to give it a good look over and if there...
  24. J

cam chain cassette

does anyone know if it is possible to replace drivers side aka left side timing chain cassette without removing the chain. And if so, does anyone know who sells just the cassette.. Thanks! By the way these 4.0sohc motors; if you dont have timing problems that is, seem like really good motors...
  25. J

death rattle ?

hello everyone.. i just installed a junkyard motor in my 98 explorer. i did everything except check the timing chain and of course i got her runnin and she makes the wounderful music of a chain slapping around, lawlessly. noise is coming from front of motor and i opened oil cap while running and...
Back