Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

I new it had to happen once day

Well all came to an end on March 17 of this year. My 1997 Explorer was destroyed in a car accident because a female driver made an illegal lane change and I had to apply the brakes causing me to slide sideways hitting the wall. I guess we will never know if my Explorer will make it to one...
  2. R

Identify this connector

Need help identifing this connect on my explorer. It's clipped to the headlight harness. Here are some pics...
  3. R

Silicone Blades

I've been looking into silicone wiper blades for a while now, but before I lay my money down I want to make sure they will last and are worth the money. Has anyone used them, and if so, did you have success with them. PIAA has a set for the Explorer at a cost of $26 each. They come with a...
  4. R

Are mono leaf springs dangerous

Was reading an interesting article this morning concerning Mono Leaf Springs saying that they are dangerous. Needless to say, I had them on my Sport for 23 years before I replaced them with the old man emu springs due to sagging. Made a world of difference in ride quality and eliminated the...
  5. R

California new smog law ecu

Well, I guess the state of California did it again to those of use who like to modify our rides. Seems they will be testing all vehicles through the OBD-ll port to see if you have any tunes installed. Sadly, I'm part of that group. I installed the Explorer Express Supercharger back when it was...
  6. R

Brake Hose Banjo Washers

Need to replace the brake hoses on my X due to age. I have thin washers on there now but I have thicker ones that came with the hoses. There is still about 9 threads showing after installing the washers on the banjo fitting. Do you think I will be ok with this setup?
  7. R

Do fuses go bad with age?

As the title says, do they go bad with age. It seems at times some accessories work then they don't only to work again after I take them out and reinstall them. I've noticed that the metal contacts are getting darker with age, and cleaning them helps. Does anyone replace them on their vehicle as...
  8. R

Transmission oil cooler seals

I had to remove the trans oil cooler lines today and lost the lower o-ring. I put some teflon tape on the threads, but it keeps on seeping past the nut. AutoZone and O'Reilly's say they don't carry just the o-ring and would have to buy the radiator to get them. Does any one have a part number or...
  9. R

Water Outlet Sensors

Can someone tell me which sensor goes to the computer and which one goes to the temp gauge. There are two, brown and gray.
  10. R

Passanger door side molding

Just noticed that the passanger side door molding was cracked. Called the dealer and they list it at $68.00 but say it is no loner available. Called the salvage yard and no one has a 2 door sport in "Red Vermillion". Anyone know if this can be fixed? Here's a pic...
  11. R

SOHC Oil Filter Adapter O-Rings

Does anyone know if the SOHC and OHV share the same o-rings for the oil filter adapter. I found the part numbers for the OHV but couldn't find ones for the SOHC engine.
  12. R

Windshield Weatherstripping Leak

Has anyone had problems with water getting under the weatherstripping causing rust. I noticed the channel on the roof of my Explorer was allowing water to gain access to the body causing a small amount of rust where the windshield lays. Here are some pics...
  13. R

Heater Hoses

Been replacing all the heater and Radiator hoses on my Explorer due to the fact they are 22 years old, although they have no signs of bulges or softness and still look in good shape. Got most of them replaced but I cannot find the two hoses that connect to the Heater Control Valve, Part...
  14. R

Leaf Springs

Have a chance to buy a set of Old Man Emu leaf springs for my sport and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them. If so, will these fit 2 door sports? do they include the bushings? will I get any lift out of them?
  15. R

McQuay-Norris Balljoints

Looking at replacing my lower ball joints with some off-road ones and need to know if anyone has tried the McQuay-Norris Extremes. Are they worth the money or are there better brands out there.
  16. R

Front differential Cover

Has anyone tried to install a drain plug on the Dana 35 SLA. Suctioning it out of the fill hole is a PITA. Can't get the cover off because the front diff is to close to the front cross member. Would drilling a hole and tapping the bottom to allow installation of a drain plug cause the axle to...
  17. R

Fuel Injector seal adapter

In the process of replacing my old fuel injectors with new ones but ran into a problem. Three of the fuel injector seal adapters are cracked and need replacing. Problem is I can't figure out a way to remove them without breaking them into a million pieces and having them get into the engine...
  18. R

What's this material called

Does anyone know what this material is called. It's rock solid like they laid a sheet of of vinyl down then applied resin to it.
  19. R

A Lost Art

So last night I finished repairing the rusted out rocker panel on my Ex but still had a small 1/2" x 1/4" hole along the dog leg. I didn't want to tack weld it or use body filler so I decided to repair it the way they use to many years ago... soldering. With some left over 60/40 lead solder...
  20. R

Solved 95-97 Torsion Key Solved

Finally after doing years of frustrating research to find a substitute for the Kevlar Pads on the torsion keys for 95-97 Explorers I found the fix. Bought a Kevlar kit to repair military helmets from a supplier on E-bay. I then made a rectangle box out of 1/4" think sheet metal then welded it to...
  21. R

Sway Bar Mounting Bracket

Needed to install new sway bar bushings on my X this weekend but when I tried to put everything back together, the large mounting bracket nut that is like 4 inches long inside the cross member came loose and now I can't align up the bolt to the bracket nut. Is there anyway to fix this so that...
  22. R

Oil filter adapter SOHC

Need to replace the oil filter adapter o-rings as they are leaking but not sure what size wrench is needed. Does anyone know? Also is it difficult to remove the 6 nuts on the exhaust manifold. None of the nuts are rusted on. Plan on doing this on Saturday so any help would be appreciated.
  23. R

Lucus ATF additive don't do it!

Had a problem with my X making a loud whining and clunking noise coming from trans when coasting from high speed. Adjusted the bands with no luck. Dropped the pan and lord and behold what did I find, a partially clogged filter full of some form of wax material. Mind you I just changed the filter...
  24. R

Brake Hose

Looking at replacing all four brakes on my Ex and I was wondering if anyone knew the life expectancy of a brake hose. They all look good but the calipers are starting to stick. They are about 2 years old and have about 30K on them.
  25. R

2nd Gen 4x4 switch

Was using my 4x4 this week and needed to use 4x4 high to climb a step dirt hill. Everything worked fine until I needed more bite to climb the hill so I put it into 4x4 low. That's when I heard and felt a loud clunk. Had to back up a little to get it out of 4x4 low when I was done and everything...
Back