Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. I

How to fill 4r55e automatic transmission?

Hi guys My question is do I have to have my 1996 v6 automatic Ford Explorer xlt with the engine running and in neutral to fill the transmission? The mechanic told me to add nine quarts but after six quarts it was overfilled and my vehicle was off and in park. The mechanic rebuilt the transmission.
  2. I

Trouble with PCM 30 amp fuse 1996 explorer xlt 4.0 automatic

Guys I found that when I connect the wire harness to the Tss connector on the transmission that is when it blows the pcm fuse. how do I replace it without removing the transmission from the vehicle?
  3. I

Trouble with PCM 30 amp fuse 1996 explorer xlt 4.0 automatic

Guys just had my 4.0 1996 explorer xlt automatic transmission rebuilt after installing whenever I turn the key it keeps blowing my 30 amp pcm fuse? Where could this short be? is it possible to be coming from inside the transmission? A prior repair caused the valve body harness to crack up I...
  4. I

transmission swap

Hi guys I have a 1996 2wd automatic transmission Explorer v6 xlt, I'm wondering if I can change my transmission with a 1996 4x4 automatic transmission. Mine is not catching reverse gear. Thanks, your cordial and prompt reply will be highly appreciated as usual.
  5. I

Dead tranny

Check it out. Now, since I purchased my 96 explorer in 2003 it had a check engine light and it had two codes, which were shift solenoid and speed sensor shift solenoid or something like that. All these years all I did was change the transmission oil filter and oil and she would run better. Then...
  6. I

Dead tranny

guys mechanic found broken oil pump gears and damaged torque converter what causes the gears to break
  7. I

transmission swapping

thankyou tomorrow will carry tranny for a rebuild will not be fixing the valve body with upgrade just yet
  8. I

1996 ford explorer xlt center console removal

Thank you soooo much albi1cnobi1 this is definitely the correct thread
  9. I

How to: 2nd gen console removal

Thanks will get on it in the morning
  10. I

Couldn't find anything on 1996 center console removal.
  11. I

Thanks for your quick response Bill
  12. I

Hi guys I'm trying to remove my 1996 explorer center console to get to the top transmission bolts off but I'm unable to do so already saw the 3rd generation how to but it is slightly different to second generation. please help. I'm also trying to remove the dip stick but the bolt is practically...
  13. I

transmission swapping

Thank you so much vroomzoomboom.
  14. I

transmission swapping

greetings, just wondering can I swap my 1996 4 dr ford explorer xlt automatic transmission with a 1998 2 dr exolorer transmission
  15. I

Dead tranny

I drained the oil and I saw lots of particles some metal and some dirty oil the filter looks clogged I've never seen it this dirty. This explorer dealer manual says 4r44e/4r55e transmission and she was slipping and hard to catch gears before this happened I remember the vehicle did not want to...
  16. I

Dead tranny

Hi guys another thing I noticed with my 1996 ford explorer XLT 2x4 transmission automatic after the high engine rev and the transmission stopped engaging in any gear the oil level went excessively high on the the dip stick.
  17. I

Dead Transmission

Hi guys, yesterday I changed the differential speed sensor and the speed sensor by the transmission that sends the speed to the odometer because I was trying to get my mileage to read again. The transmission has been slipping since I purchased my explorer symptoms would go away whenever I...
  18. I

humming sound front drivers side

Got rid of the hum! Hey guys I lifted the vehicle and found out that the humming was coming from the driver side wheel. While spinning the tire there was no sound I removed the tire and the brake pads and spinned the hub and I felt a slight rub with low hum. I went to lose the spindle...
  19. I

Well I rotated the tires and this thing is getting worse I know that when I spinned the front driver side disk I heard it rubbing against the brake pads and somewhat rough as I was spinning it. Will check again and let you know, I feel like it's the drive shaft though.
  20. I

Loud humming sound when driving

Thanks guys will do that in the morning the tires are sure big and knobby.
  21. I

same problem here I'm having the same problem with my 96 xlt explorer and I too changed the hub bearing same problem haven't found a cure yet. I've lift it and spinned tire they spin nicely with no problem will lift tommorrow and check.
  22. I

Humming If the problem is the differential what part would cause that humming sound will I have to change out the whole thing. Maybe if I jack up the rear secure on Jack Stands and put her in gear then I'll know if its the rear differential right?
  23. I

humming sound Well the noise seems to come from the front especially from the front driver side. the noise decreases as I start to slow down and the faster I go the higher and faster the humming becomes. The tires were bought at H&H tires and I've never seen this brand before but they...
  24. I

Hi guys I'm hearing a loud humming noise when driving my 1996 xlt two wheel drive explorer. I changed the universal joints and the front wheel bearings and I'm still hearing this humming noise and it also has to new tires which are bigger than the rear. On stand still no humming but when I...
  25. I

where are the AC's vacuum hoses on my 98 Explorer?

does the blend door have to be opened or closed for ac to flow through the front vents on 1996 xlt explorer
Back