Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. A

Should I replace missing front drive shaft?

I don't think I have a TC problem. The shaft worked fine for a while, but eventually (30ish days) the cheap/thin CV boot tore and all the CV grease was slung out of the joint resulting in CV joint failure. New OEM shaft arrives this Thursday. If that one fails in short order, I'll...
  2. A

I edited my original post, but the cheap Advance Auto Parts shaft failed in short order. I have now ordered an OEM shaft from automotivepartsunlimiteddotcom. It's under $300 including shipping. I hope that solves this problem for good. AM.
  3. A

Leaf springs and shocks

I put F150 junkyard leaf springs on my 98. Worked great. There's a long thread if you search for it.
  4. A

You can order one from Advance Auto Parts for about $200. You can also find a 30% coupon code (max savings of $50) to bring the cost down to about $150. The website indicates they're only available for "ship to home", so you can't just run to the store and get it. I just ordered one after...
  5. A

Mach subwoofer replacement

For a cheap fix, we used this: http://www.amazon.com/Boss-CX8-Subwoofer-4ohm-Voice/dp/B0032FOKEW/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1287963658&sr=8-14 The mounting pattern is just slightly smaller, so we had to drill new holes in the plastic box and oval=out the grill/foam piece. Otherwise it...
  6. A

high altitude gas

We use 85 octane, and I've not noticed any pinging or other ill effects. AM.
  7. A

Trans-X Posi-Trac Limited Slip Gear Oil Additive?

I put it in the rear diff of my son's '98 LTD. It claims to meet the Ford spec, so I assume it should be okay. Most people seem to recommend getting the genuine Ford additive from the dealer, so that's probably the safest bet. No problems with the Trans-X so far, though. AM.
  8. A

Modifying Ford Explorer Leaf Springs for Lift using F-150 Leaf Springs

I have discovered that the reason for the softer leaf springs on my '98 Ltd. is because it is equipped with the Air Ride Control (ARC) system. As far as I can tell, the compressor still runs, but I don't think it's really doing anything to the suspension. The front shocks appear very old -...
  9. A

I have a question for others who have put stiffer springs on the back.... have you felt the need for stronger torsion bars in the front to balance the suspension? I think my Ltd came with very soft springs - the softer 4-leaf rear springs and code "G" torsion bars (apparently coded B-L...
  10. A

http://www.upullandpay.com/ They have locations in the Denver area as well as here in COS. Best of luck! AM.
  11. A

Thanks to Bronco638 and everyone else who contributed to this thread. I just did an F150 leaf spring swap on my 98 Ltd. today. It took me about 8 hours total including driving 30 minutes each way to the Pull-n-pay salvage yard, pulling the springs from an F150, and installing them on my...
  12. A

Steering noise

The PS reservoir has a fine mesh screen in the bottom. It can easily get gunked up from dirty PS fluid. I would suggest you drain and remove the reservoir, clean it out thoroughly with solvent, and I bet you'll have a quieter system. It probably sounds as if it's low on PS fluid because...
  13. A

Reading on Carcomplaints.com makes me paranoid./my issues

The best advice I ever heard from an auto mechanic friend.... buy the car you want to drive. All cars have problems, and if you bought the car only because you deemed it reliable, you're eventually going to be disappointed. On the other hand, if you truly like the car, somehow it's easier...
  14. A

Great Forum - New (old) Explorer Owner - 98 Ltd. 5.0L AWD

Picked up a well-used '98 LTD 5.0L AWD for my 16 y.o. to get around in and to pull our camper in the summer. Thanks to the many contributors on this forum, I was able to find a bargain with some issues knowing I could fix them without too much expense. With 182K mi. and no air conditioning...
Back