Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. A4LD Rebuild

A4LD Rebuild

2. Y

Power window problems fixed ( with pictures)

Hi folks! Read just about every thread but still cant find the source. Problem is the drivers window will not go up any more using the master switch, only down. Replaced the motor and regulator, they were factory originals anyway and was dragging. Every other window and lock works perfectly from...
  3. Y

91-94X Battery Cables

The starter is only held in by two bolts, which are pretty easy to remove. In my opinion I'd rather ensure a better connection to the starter at the time you are doing this procedure in a conrollable environment then worry about it in a later no-start situation in less than ideal situations...
  4. Y

Coolant Leak, Intake Manifold?

Thanks again! From what I can tell, the most difficult part is going to be reconnecting every electrical connection and vacuum line. Not easy to clear everything from the valve covers to the intake manifold and easily restore it all. I guess this is puzzles for adults ;) We'll see how it goes...
  5. Y

That's where I'm at, JD. Thanks! Newest problem is that it is a lte model '94, so the Haynes manual is not accurate... Still trying to pull the upper manifold at this point, but VERY close :-/
  6. Y

Hi all, I seem to have developed a moderate coolant leak on my 94 Explorer. After removing the air intake duct I was able to identify what I believe is the source. Maybe someone can confirm if this is indeed caused by a bad intake gasket: If it is, any guidance on fixing the problem...
  7. Y

is my tranny done???

Thanks for the follow-up! Sorry to hear about the reverse band, thought those bad boys were pretty solid! Glad your ride is back up and running!
  8. Y

is my tranny done???

Good morning... sorry to hear about your woes. There could be multiple causes of the issue. I have rebuild my A4LD before, and believe that you have the next gen 4R or 5R transmission. The reverse band has no adjustment, and is actuated by a servo in the valve body. First thing to check is the...
  9. Y

94 exp tv cable

Good morning... I search high and low for a new one before ending up at the salvage yard. Someone, somewhere around the country must have one. Check out http://www.partshotlines.com for someone with a '94 A4LD tranny and I'm sure at least one of them will have it and ship it to you. I was...
  10. Y

Last of the 94 bugs

Good morning... Maybe you can test the fuel pressure at the rail? There should be a test valve. I'd also check for vacuum leaks as well. As far as the "bang into gear", maybe there is a leak in the vacuum modulator line or possibly the mod is bad. Hope that gives you a place to start!
  11. Y

Shift Cable Connection

Wonderful! Thanks for the follow-up! You probably saved yourself over $300 doing it yourself. Nice work!
  12. Y

which explorer to buy?

I LOVE the 5.0L AWD... I think the only hit is like 1 or 2 MPG. Don't think you can convert it as I believe the front wheel provide the "Park" gear. Will creep otherwise with the driveshaft not connected. 5.0L is also very easy to work on and the transmissions are much more reliable than the...
  13. Y

which explorer to buy?

Good morning! The ex is a great car, and very friendly for those that like to tinker. If you are not so inclined then your option is to have a good mechanic or friend that is willing to help. I think the parts are cheaper and more readily available too, including salvage yards. I am personally...
  14. Y

97 Explorer, Crank no Start after EGR work (faulty PCM??)

i humbly bow to 2000streetrod! great catch! another great example of following the diagnostic steps to a 't'! Thank you for your followup and the pic, i am sure it will be a big help to others on here! cheers for a job well done, be proud!
  15. Y

valve body rebuild

BrooklynBay is one of the wisest people on here! Pressure is vital in auto transmissions, and after you have verified the proper fluid level (not too high or low) the next best step is to hook up an oil pressure gauge and check against spec through various gears. low pressure usually indicates...
  16. Y

Wow... you are thorough! I really wish I had something else you could test, but at this point I think that it is the last course for you to check. I would never even think of disconnecting the battery before working on parts like this, but I think you've made me overly cautions if it is...
  17. Y

Transmission installation problem on a 1998 Ford Explorer.

Sorry if I made your job any more difficult by being unclear, especially if you are in the heat we are in in the northeast... I would not put any of the nuts on the studs for the TC until the transmission is pushed all the way in. The goal is to just align the studs with the flywheel and then...
  18. Y

tranny issues :(

Funny, I thought the tear down was the worst part. Maybe just start with the valve body rebuild and see if that works. If not, at least you have a rebuilt valve body to put in the other transmission before you swap. Hope the VB rebuild takes care of it.. otherwise let's talk again :)
  19. Y

Shift Cable Connection

Like the kickdown cable, a temporary fix with zip ties probably won't last long. I think that the shift cable is a pretty reliable part (except for your instances) so I'd just call a couple of auto salvage yards and see if they have a similar model and can pull one off a wreck for you. Good...
  20. Y

Exploded!!!!

That is your BIGGEST clue... I'd get a new one and be done with it, assuming you've checked all the wiring to the starter is perfect first, and the wiring from the starter-mounted solenoid to the starter motor is good. Nice work, man!
  21. Y

Truth about mods.

I like the accelerator cable mod to take out the slack for more WOT... and since you have a '92, you can do the same for the kick-down cable. Better throttle response and downshifts...
  22. Y

tranny issues :(

Well, it is a place to start. Did you ever identify the transmission? Is it the 4R55E? You mention slipping in your original post, and this could also indicate a problem with the torque converter, but you mentioned that it runs great when warm so maybe we can bypass that for now. Not sure if you...
  23. Y

Lacking any other comments, it sounds like you did a hell of a job diagnosing the issue. maybe disconnect the battery for 30 minutes and see if it resets? could also try a pcm from a salvage yard, but the 5.0L isn't as common as the V6.... I've got the 5.0l too, and love it. hope you get...
  24. Y

Shift Cable Connection

Replacing the Kick-Down (Throttle Valve) Cable on an A4LD Transmission Not sure if you are referring to the manual (shift) linkage or kick-down cable... but this write up may help either way :) Morning! Mine kick-down cable end actually snapped off! Went to a salvage yard and picked one up...
  25. Y

valve body rebuild

I got mine at Napa and it was in stock and not very expensive. Read the thread that BrooklynBay references above (starts about halfway down the page): http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101571&page=3 I saw your other thread about problems with the transmission going into...
Back