Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. I

Airbag LFC 33

Old thread, but wanted to report that the fixes found here solved this same issue (Airbag flashing code 33) my 2002 Ford Explorer. Some notes: My vehicle had the green connector (not yellow). I first bypassed this connector, but the code was still present. I then did exactly as Snakesausage...
  2. I

Faulty Fuel Gauge

Just checking back on this old thread to see if anyone ever found a solution... I've had the same problem on my 2002 Ford Explorer for years now. I've gone as far as dropping the tank myself and testing the sending unit. Thinking about replacing the gauge cluster, but would like to know...
  3. I

intermittent FUEL gauge ???

David, Did you ever figure this one out? I've had the same problem on my 2002 Ford Explorer for over 5 years now. I've gone as far as dropping the tank myself and testing the sending unit. It tested fine and that's where I left off the investigation.
  4. I

Transmission jerking after filter & fluid replacement

A few weeks ago I replaced my tranny filter and the fluid that came out during the filter replacement. Ever since that day, I get hard shifts from neutral into 1st gear. The vehicle will rev up and then suddenly clunk into 1st gear. Also, this only happens about 30% of the time. I've now...
  5. I

How to replace radiator

I'm also hoping for suggestions too. If I'm in there and I have to drain the fluid, I'm thinking I ought to go ahead and replace the thermostat and waterpump as well. The vehicle has 150,000 miles on it. So, if the water pump is only going to last me another 20,000 miles, it'd be a whole lot...
  6. I

How to replace radiator

I've got a 2002 Ford Explorer with a radiator leak. I searched the forum, but didn't find much info. I was expecting/hoping to find a full write-up on the replacement process. Does anyone know of a write-up they could point me to? My leak is very slow. Just a few drops of coolant per day...
  7. I

how to fix radiator leak

If you can find the hole, couldn't you solder it shut? Just like you would with home plumbing fixtures.
  8. I

Tranny flush question.....

I'm going to be doing this soon too and want to understand the process better. BrooklynBay, have you done this yourself? I thought I read earlier in this thread that the tranny pump wasn't powerful enough to suck in new fluid and you had to manually add new fluid in intervals. I had...
  9. I

Engine oil dripping from FR corner of radiator

Engine oil dripping from right side of radiator. Appears to be engine oil. The car has been sitting all weekend and I'm seeing approx. 1-2 drips per day. I can't really see what's leaking. Can someone educate me of what's is in that general area which would be suspect? Note: Vehicle has 140k...
  10. I

CV joint leaking oil

Thanks for the reply. I just went straight to Ford and they had the right one for surprisingly the same cost as the autoparts store.
  11. I

Rear hub stuck on CV spline

Tried that too with no success. This one was stuck GOOD. After wasting an entire day on it, I finally resorted to saying "F#@k-it, I'm getting a bigger hammer". Borrowed my neighbor's sledge hammer and with about 5 minutes of full swinging action, it came out!!! Don't recommend this to...
  12. I

CV joint leaking oil

Okay, got the front axle out and will pick-up a replacement CV shaft tomorrow morning. I was surprised that I had to remove the spring/strut assemble to get the half-shaft out. My Haynes manual doesn't say anything about it, but it was sure in the way and came out nicely once I removed it...
  13. I

CV joint leaking oil

Well, didn't quite get to the front yet. Still wrestling with my rears. BTW, since I'm pulling the CV shaft out again anyhow and it's got 150k miles on it, should I just go ahead and replace the thing?
  14. I

nope, already tried all that.
  15. I

Guys, I'm having one hell of a time. I got another puller and ended up putting so much torque on it that it broke the top hex head off!!! :mad: I've tried heating it. What is my next step? Remove the knuckle with CV axle attached and have shop press out? Do I need a special tool to...
  16. I

CV joint leaking oil

I'll probably be getting to it this afternoon. Just for CV axle removal, what all needs disconnected? Last time, I took the whole knuckle off and I'd like to avoid that if I can. Tie rod, control arms, etc...?
  17. I

Clicking from R rear, where to start?

Wow! I just tore apart my passenger side rear wheel to find NO brake shoe pads at all! That must have been a surprize to someone driving behind me on the freeway! :rolleyes:
  18. I

Still no luck...! I've got another puller (3-prong) that I'll leave on over night at full pressure to see if that gets me anything. Oddly enough the passenger side was essentially loose to start with! I tippy-tapped it a couple times lightly with a small hammer and gave way... Weird that i'd...
  19. I

I searched, but didn't find much help beyond what I've already tried. How can I get the rear up broken free from the CV spline? It's just the 35mm nut in the center, right? I didn't see any bolts on the back side of the steering knuckle. I've already beat it with a BFH, Air hammer, and...
  20. I

CV joint leaking oil

Talked to my local auto parts store and the guy there said it's most likely a seal inside where the CV axle meets the tranny. Said most people usually replace these when they have the CV axle's out. Hurray, I get to do the job again b/c I didn't do it right the first time!!! I bet it goes...
  21. I

+1 to everyone that guessed emergency brake shoes as the correct answer. Both rear emergency brake shoes had fallen off my driver's rear wheel. Pulled the disc off and they both plopped out! I've seen this before on a 30 year old motorcycle, but a 10 year old explorer, really..!? I never use...
  22. I

CV joint leaking oil

A couple weeks ago, I replaced all the front suspension components on my 2002 Ford Explorer. I couldn't find the right rental tool to remove the inner tie-rod, So, I popped the CV joints out so I could fit a pipe-wrench on the inner rie-rod which worked well. Now, it appears as though there is...
  23. I

Tranny gaskets (new or old?)

I'm just trying to build up a level of comfort with this. I'd think you'd ALWAYS use the NEW gasket. Is the original Ford gasket with 150k miles on it really much better than an aftermarket new gasket?
  24. I

Tranny gaskets (new or old?)

I've heard people claim that it's best to re-use the original Ford gasket for the transmission. I'm going to be replacing my transmission filter this weekend and want to know your guys opinions.
  25. I

I've got an identical problem. Right Rear of 02 Explorer. Been going on for at least 20k miles. I'm actually replacing my rear wheel bearings and hubs this weekend. So, figure I'll replaced the brake hardware and see if that fixes the problem. Will try to remember and update this post after...
Back