Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

The incurable rough idle

http://engine-codes.com/p0171_ford.html This is why he changed your intake manifold seals. I've heard that a good way to check for a vacuum leak is to spray Carb. Cleaner around seals of the intake manifold. If your engine revs up you've found generally where your leak is. I tried it once...
  2. D

The incurable rough idle

I've got a slight rough idle and it sounds like it is missing or early detonating very intermittently. Basically it just shakes slightly in a weird way. Is that what yours does? I thought it was just spark plugs causing early detonation from too small of a gap, but I checked them and they were...
  3. D

How to: Ford Explorer - Ranger Radius Arm Bushing Repair

I just used a cheater bar. They came off pretty easy. Some other people have posted that theirs were held on with red locktite, so you might try heating them up. Re-torq specs were something like 100 ft-lbs if I recall. I think I specified that in the post?
  4. D

Rob~ Thanks for the input. You could probably do this and leave the front end intact. You will have to pry//hammer a lot if you do that. I chose to remove front end pieces to get more play and boy did it help. Without removing that tie rod, for example, I couldn't get the thing to come off!
  5. D

Loud noises!

It's a deep roar that gets louder at higher RPS regaurdless of whether the wheels are moving. Turns out I cracked the muffler somehow. Sorry about not responding quickly guys, my internet doesnt work very well.
  6. D

Loud noises!

After a 10 hour drive, my explorer is now emitting a deep, sinister sounding roar which reverberates around the cabin. It is loud from 0 to 55 mph, and then it gets quieter at 60 mph. Louder at 65 mph. Louder at higher RPMS. What is it? Before/ after pics: WHY NOT TO USE MUFFLER REPAIR...
  7. D

Mark ~ Thanks for the input, I updated the post and will post a new pic soon to avoid confusion. UPDATE: I simply added a note to avoid confusion. I have yet to find that part, I moved somewhere where there are NO JUNKYARDS! :( It's been OK So far but if you do this job just be sure...
  8. D

ernzo- I removed the springs to get more play on the radius arms. If anyone is sure you can do this without removing the coil springs, let me know.
  9. D

I just replaced the radius arm bushings on my car, and I heard that if I post this it might help some people, so here it is! I am not a professional, I don't have special tools or anything like that and I managed to do this job just fine. If I missed anything, I would certainly experience any...
  10. D

A damaged radius arm bushing may be to blame for odd steering problems like outer tire wear on just one side or vibration. Because it’s difficult to replace, everything else should be checked first – Wheel bearings, ball joints and tie rod ends. If you suspect the radius arm bushing, there’s a...
  11. D

Want to see my radius bushing job?

Hey I'm a new member. I started on here when I found somebody's 1st Gen Brake Job Diary and thought it was really cool, think it was Glacier's post if I remember correctly. I just did my radius arm bushings on a 1st gen explorer, I'm not exactly a pro but I have pics and step by step how I did...
Back