Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 9

Noob with 98 5.0 trans q's

Check the MLPS and it's positioning. -Rob
  2. 9

Noob with 98 5.0 trans q's

If you get the pin-out diagrams for the bulkhead connector on the passenger side of the tranny for both 97 and 98, you should be able to re-pin the wiring harness connector to work with the older tranny. My mom's 97 actually has a 98+ tranny in it. I just had to move a few wires around in the...
  3. 9

converter size

I don't remember what the actual measurement is, but I know it's the larger of the two bolt patterns they used. Same size as a 95 Mustang GT w/ AODE if that helps. If you want an awesome converter for it call Alan Brown at www.dirtydogperformance.com His number is on the website, as well as a...
  4. 9

Limited Slip Differential

They will work fine for your application. "Fits all 8.8" Traction-Lok differentials" -Rob
  5. 9

Just get the LSD rebuilt. For light stuff like you are talking about, it will function fine. Most people would prefer NOT to have a locker if they are driving their vehicle much on the street. I would say these guys just have their minds set on overkill since they like to go offroad a lot...
  6. 9

You can improve the function of the stock limited slip. Stack the frictions differently when you rebuild it. I believe it's just Friction/steel/friction/steel and so on, but you can find different stacking orders online to make them grab harder. I don't remember off the top of my head...
  7. 9

List of Useful Threads Everything I know about the M5OD-R1 & BW1354M

The transmission is an M5OD-R1 from what I understand. The only reason I wouldn't just "get a 4x4 trans" is because it won't bolt up to the duratec 2.3 I have in my truck. It has a different bellhousing pattern than the old Lima 2.3. I will have to check and see where the speed sensor is...
  8. 9

Thinking of an Upgrade

Unless you buy an aftermarket insert (locker) for the factory carrier, you will need to buy a factory carrier that has a limited slip. I'm not 100% positive about the explorers (I do Tbirds with IRS) but you will likely need to make sure the carrier you get is for IRS. The side gears in the...
  9. 9

List of Useful Threads Everything I know about the M5OD-R1 & BW1354M

I'm looking into converting my 4cyl. 06 Ranger to four wheel drive and I had a few questions for you about the transmission. It came factory with the 5 spd, and would like to keep it that way. Since Ford didn't make any of the duratec 2.3s four wheel drive, so I will need to get an extension...
  10. 9

Rollover posse Application

I figured I would update this thread with a picture of the last i saw the explorer. The transmission went out of that taurus(240k miles) so i just decided to get rid of it aswell. The engine from the explorer is currently residing in a 1988 ranger 4x4(my friends). The rear axle is going to be...
  11. 9

Thanks for the kind words guys. Currently i am driving a 96 taurus until i can get my cougar to the point where i can drive it. The EX only had liability on it so i am parting it out http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=181241 . I started it up the other day and it ran...
  12. 9

Transmission issues: 97 5.0L AWD

Ok, here's the deal. The transmission in my mom's explorer started acting up today. From a stop it slips badly, hardly moving. Once it starts moving, it still slips a little bit, but not much. I was able to drive it home. I checked the fluid, and it was low, so I filled it up with the same...
  13. 9

Yeah i was wearing my seatbelt. When i opened my eyes it was a definite "oh ****" feeling. I had to shut it off because it was still running, and then i climbed out the drivers window. Blee those pictures are crazy! im glad that is not what happened in my case! Here is some more pictures...
  14. 9

I was on my way home from work when i fell asleep, i woke up right as the tires went off the road, i didnt have time to react before i hit a culvert which launched me into the air(probably about 3-4 foot) and i hit a telephone pole(snapped the telephone pole in half) and then rolled it. It slid...
  15. 9

Transmission Fluid?

http://therangerstation.com/tech_library/ManualTransmission.html You most likely have the mazda transmission. The mitsubishi 5 speed has a removable bell housing, whereas the bellhousing on the mazda is cast into the transmission case. The mitsubishi transmission takes gear oil, and the mazda...
  16. 9

Painted and Chrome Grilles

I think on your ranger it would probably look better if you painted the grill body color. If you want you can send me a picture of it and i can photoshop it for you.
  17. 9

Painted and Chrome Grilles

Is this kinda what you are reffering to? Before: After: Sorry the lighting kinda sucks in after pic and i dont have any other pictures of it in better light. I painted the center of my grill gloss black.
  18. 9

Auto To Manual Swap Problems

Little update.. I got a Luk 4.0 clutch kit(with slave cylinder) for my explorer aswell as a factory 4.0 flywheel. The transmission is from a 90' ranger with a 2.9l. I am still having the same issue, i get the transmission about 1/4" away and it starts binding, and the engine cant be turned over...
  19. 9

92 X Will Not Start... Please Help!

It also sounds to me like something is wrong with your fuel system. If you just turn the key to the "on" position you should be able to hear the fuel pump cycle.
  20. 9

Well I origonally put the 2.9 clutch in but for some reason it didnt work. And I was searching on the ranger station and found this http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/May06/40_clutch_swap.htm I am wondering if i am having this issue since most of the parts I bought is aftermarket? My...
  21. 9

My friend looked at the transmission again and said that he found the problem. He said that my pressure plate is rubbing on the reinforcement ribs on the bellhousing. I looked on TRS and found they had a 2.9l-4.0l clutch swap and there is nothing in there about this kind of problem.
  22. 9

We made sure to seat the throw out bearing fully on the slave. Actually me and my buddy had put the transmission in before with the 2.9l clutch and flywheel but it wouldnt shift(got jammed into 2 gears later to find out). But when we pulled it back out we found that the end of the slave cylinder...
  23. 9

We are going to take the trans and the flywheel/clutch back off to take some measurements. I know that we have the splines lined up because when we turn the crank the output shaft turns, and we should have the input shaft inside the pilot bearing with 1/4" gap left. I am sure the transmission is...
  24. 9

Let me start off by saying I have a 1991 explorer 4x4 EB that I am working on swapping from auto to manual. The transmission I will be using is out of a 1991 ranger with a 2.9l 4x4, and it is the mazda 5 speed. I am using the 4.0 flywheel and clutch. The slave is from the 2.9l(i called the auto...
  25. 9

tranny: Explorer bad, Ranger gooooood... I think

The 2.9 transmission will work, but you will need a 4.0 flywheel and clutch as they are different diameters than the 2.9. I am currently working on swapping my 91 to a manual using a 91 ranger 5 speed. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147236&highlight=auto+manual+swap
Back