Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. P

Did I just kill my transfer case?

RTV will stick to clean metal. It just takes patience to let the case drain out and using rags/paper towels to reach in through the drain hole to get the last drop of oil out to get the area dry long enough to work.
  2. P

Did I just kill my transfer case?

I was in the same boat a few years ago, drained the fluid completely, cleaned the area around the plug with brake cleaner and sealed it up with RTV on the plug and outside the case. It looks ugly but has been holding for six years now with no leaks. I just hope I never have to open it up...
  3. P

2002 4.0L V6 valve cover gasket replacement and TIPS!

It has been about two years since I did this, but I was careful to try to bend only in one direction on a relatively straight portion of the pipe, and just enough for minimal clearance to lift up the valve cover a little bit, not enough to fully remove the valve cover. The pipe is very hard to...
  4. P

2002 4.0L V6 valve cover gasket replacement and TIPS!

This is an old thread, but worth revisiting because the info is useful. I could not undo the lower EGR tube connection, and the upper seemed to be seized as well. I was afraid bending the EGR tube far enough to remove the valve cover would risk breakage and compound my problems. My approach...
  5. P

Overheats and Heater Hose Confusion -'04 4.0

It's probably the heater control valve. The most common point for plastic fittings to leak is along the line where the mold formed the part. This happens a lot on the thermostat housing and the 4.6 intake manifold coolant passage.
  6. P

Is this a good deal!?

I noticed that sticker too, it seemed odd that it wasn't removed before the pictures were taken, but it looks like the National Rifle Association seal. Regardless of the content of the sticker, just make sure it isn't hiding a hole in the bumper!
  7. P

Head Gasket or Intake Manifold Gasket - How to tell?

The intake manifold "gasket" on the 4.0 is actually six oval shaped rubber gaskets which correspond to each individual cylinder. Unlike the 4.6 V8, coolant is not being routed through the intake manifold, so there is no way a 4.0 manifold gasket/intake manifold defect would allow water to mix...
  8. P

Newbie - 2003 Model - Good or bad?

For me, that is far too much risk in that amount of miles on the vehicle without knowing the mechanical history of it. As mentioned before, the transmission or timing chain repairs alone can be more than the price of the vehicle. I would only consider it if I knew that those items were...
  9. P

Head and tail lights flashing, truck off

Sometimes the explanation is in your first instinct - is the alarm siren confirmed to be working, and does the alarm remote stop the flashing lights?
  10. P

What exhaust part is this? 2004 Explorer

Exhaust pipe flange. You will also need the gasket that goes between the two rusted out flanges.
  11. P

One wheel is dirtier/blacker than the rest

Check the pads for even wear on both front wheels, if they are not about the same on both sides, a caliper is sticking. The inner pads tend to wear just a little bit faster than the outer pad, so you must take off the wheels to see, I had one inner pad worn down to the backing plate in less...
  12. P

How to reprogram a new Factory installed Remote Start Remote! 02 Explorer

The procedure is in the owner's guide, under the section about the keyless remotes (page 120-121 in the 6th edition)... it involves turning the key and pushing the remote buttons in a certain sequence. If you don't have the owners guide you can view it online at...
  13. P

clunking or lunging noise while braking

Check the tightness of the brake caliper mounting bolts asap. The bolts are often reinstalled without loctite when a caliper is removed and begin to work themselves loose a few weeks after installation.
  14. P

Steering column rattle

Check that the bolts which hold the front fixed portion of the tilt steering column onto the frame are all tight. I had one (of three or four?) bolts which was about a half of a turn too loose, causing a rattle right under the gauges when going over every bump in the road.
  15. P

Problem with Coolant

The answer is in the ice - the coolant probably is not mixed in the right ratio with water. The ice clogged up the cooling system and caused the overheating until it got melted down from engine heat. Then it happens again when it refroze. The smaller diameter hoses (heater hose) will probably...
  16. P

Possibly Tranny Leak?

That looks like an upside down picture of the transmission pan drain plug. There is a small torx or allen screw inside the plug used for refilling, check out the instructional threads about "5r55w fluid fill" in the transmissions forum for more details. You should clean up the area first and...
  17. P

Abuse

If the question is strictly limited to the motor itself, I would say the 4.6. I have not heard of timing chain issues on that engine, unlike the 4.0. On the negative side, some older 4.6 engines may still have the plastic intake manifold that cracks with age and leaks coolant (this is why...
  18. P

alignment specs

Toe spec is .10 degrees +/-.25, camber -0.5 degrees +/-0.8, caster 5.1 degrees on left +/- 1, 5.3 degrees on right +/- 1. Then there are total/split specs of 0.2, 0.0 and -0.2 degrees respectively. There are ways to do it yourself with strings, straight edges, plumb bobs and rulers, but it's...
  19. P

Gear Shift Broke Off in Hands!!!

Although I haven't experienced the problem, I would encourage those who have to file a safety complaint with the NHTSA (US only) http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm It sounds like it would be a legitimate safety issue if the part breaks and leaves the car in gear. Enough complaints...
  20. P

'04 explorer upper ball joint stuck

A 2-jaw puller worked well for me. Unscrew the nut so it is just beyond flush with the bottom tip of the threaded portion of the ball joint and attach the jaws to the knuckle and center the screw on the tip of the ball joint (that's why the nut should be a little beyond flush). This way you...
Back