Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

Torque Converter Shudder

Update Just thought I would post an update on my 1997 Mountaineer. After nearly two years of driving, I am now at 66,500 miles (10,000 since the flush) and still have no trace of torque converter shudder or shift issues. Every now and then the 3-4 shift has a slight bump if driving fairly...
  2. B

1997 Mountaineer: Exhaust Manifold crack and Torque Converter Lock-up Problem

Update It's at just over 62,000 miles and it is still performing well. I drive it with no worry about reliability and it is still shifting smoothly. I always try to pay attention to the shifts and torque-converter lock-up and am happy to report that there is no shudder happening now. With...
  3. B

Sorry for the lack of update. I went ahead with the transmission flush at the Ford dealer. As soon as I left I could tell a big difference. I have no driven 2,000-2,500 miles since the transmission flush and there is no hint of torque converter lock-up shudder. The transmission flush has...
  4. B

Key Fob

Programming Remote Key Fobs When you program a new remote key fob, you have to re-program the original fobs at the same time. Following the steps in the manual, enter the programming mode. Once in programming mode, push a button on each remote, one at a time. For each remote, the locks will...
  5. B

Lock and unlock doors with key - have questions

I agree that this is a seemingly odd feature to lack but nothing is wrong with your Mountaineer. My grandma's 2009 Explorer XLT (with all the options) behaves the exact same way. The key only mechanically locks and unlocks the driver's door. The other doors are unaffected. The only reason...
  6. B

Torque Converter Shudder

Just had the torque converter shudder on my 1997 Mountaineer with 57,000 miles. I bought it with around 53,000 miles and could barely feel it but it kept getting worse. Ford dealer said to give a transmission flush a try since it's a lot cheaper than major tranny work and might save the...
  7. B

To buy or not to buy a 2010

Great looking truck! As far as the badges, Ford stopped putting the "Explorer" badges on the front doors and quit using "V8" badges on the V8 models for the 2009 model year. If I remember right, I read that they took the V8 emblems off of Explorers and the V6 emblems off of Escapes at the...
  8. B

My '97 Mountaineer

When I first bought it, I did a complete detail even though it was pretty clean. Only took a few pics of the outside. Next time I detail it up and polish it, I'm going to make a thread with plenty of pics (no time for a complete detail right now because of school). Here's a couple pics...
  9. B

My '97 Mountaineer

You got an awesome deal on that truck! It looks like new, especially for the miles on it. It was clearly taken care of. I too bought a 1997 Mountaineer over the summer, mine's white but otherwise pretty much identical. I thought i got a great deal at $4,500 with 53,000 miles from its first...
  10. B

Cruise Control Problem, 04 EB not same as others

My family owns 5-6 Fords. On all of them, no light comes on when you push the "on" button for cruise control (something I think is a major oversight in design but all Ford Motor Co. cars are built this way). Some Fords do not have a light at all. My 1997 Mountaineer and my grandma's 2009...
  11. B

Rubber floormats (Ford or aftermarket)

I think those are factory Ford all-weather mats. I recently ordered an identical set for my 1997 Mountaineer on eBay. They look the same except of course for saying "Mountaineer." They were brand new, still in the Ford labeled box with Ford installation instructions. Cost was $30 plus $20...
  12. B

Interior door handle paint chipping

Repaint the plastic with interior paint? I think I know what you are talking about. The long flat of plain painted plastic that is right under the window switches/chrome door lever? If this is the piece, my grandma's 2009 Explorer with only 12,000 miles is starting to show some scratches (not...
  13. B

New to forum, need some advice/help on my 1998 Eddie Bauer V8 AWD

I only have a few ideas on of the problems. With the 5.0, it is common for the exhaust manifold to crack causing a ticking sound when you accelerate. My 1997 Mountaineer with the 5.0 has it now (and apparently it is costly to fix at the dealer). If it is the exhaust manifold, it should be...
  14. B

Thanks for the quick replies. I have had a lot of work done at this dealer cheaper than my local smaller mechanics can do the work, but the $1200 still seemed steep to me. They explained that the exhaust manifold is hard to get to on the 5.0 and the bolts often break off and must be drilled...
  15. B

Over the summer, I bought a 1997 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0 AWD that looks brand new with 53,000 miles. It was not driven a lot and garage kept since new. After the test drive, a trip to a mechanic, and some research here, I figured that I had the typical 5.0 exhaust manifold crack. At the...
  16. B

charcoal gray metallic? 07 limited

The one in the pictures looks like Dark Stone Clearcoat Metallic to me. The greenish hue of the color shows up more in the close up pictures like the ones of the doors. That's a good looking truck.
  17. B

charcoal gray metallic? 07 limited

Ford has changed the names of it's gray colors frequently over the past few years. On the 2007 Explorer, they used "Carbon Clearcoat" which is a straight charcoal gray. It looks gray in nearly all lights though I always thought it may have had a hint of green in it. The color you are...
  18. B

JBL/Luxury Audio Amp/Radio Receiver

Hi. I just bought a 1997 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0 AWD with the JBL Luxury Audio System (CD changer in console). I bought it with the radio not working. After talking to several people who have worked on cars for years, it sounded like radio was bad. I ordered a new one on ebay (Head Unit)...
Back