Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

Power Steering Fluid

I'm sorry if this has been posted before, but I've searched through the forum and did not find a definitive answer. I'm going to change my power steering fluid. The manual says something like "use power steering fluid that meets Mercon specifications". It means that I can use ATFin the power...
  2. D

Transfer case output shaft play

Update: I've replaced both U-joints of the rear drive shaft and tried to tighten up the TC output shaft nut. The nut did not move. Once the drive shaft was removed, I wasn't able to move the output shaft by hand. The job went well, took me around 3 hours from start to finish. Results: the...
  3. D

Thanks for the reply. I'll tackle it during the weekend. I probably should start searching for the "wheel replacement how to". Do I have to drop the transfer case or can it be done on the car? Thanks Edit: Alright, found the rebuilt thread, and I do have to drop and split the TC to replace the...
  4. D

Hi all, I've had a 1996 Explorer Eddie Bauer V6 4wd for about 2 years. I've been having a vibration at highway speed since I bought it. It starts at around 60 mph and it gets worst as I go faster. When I release the gas pedal and the weight shifts to the front of the car, the vibration gets...
  5. D

Air bag light flashing code 32 - Need information about clockspring resistance

Hi folks, My air bag light is blinking the code 32 after starting the car. It flashes the code three times and remains on. The cruise control and horn are working fine. I searched the forum and found out that code 32 means that I have high resistance or open circuit in the driver's side...
  6. D

More of the same... well slightly different - O/D light Falshing - Please Help!

I know how it is, I'm from Brazil and some companies don't ship down there either.
  7. D

I bought it online from Walmart. Here is a link: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Equus-3130-Innova-Diagnostic-Code-Scanner/14644659 The price went up a bit.
  8. D

Hi Imp, Sorry about taking so looong to get back here. Things got crazy around me lately. So, I did change the fluid, but only partially. I drained and filled the tranny three times and was happy with the result. I've also decided to keep the solenoid module. The car ran fine for over 1,500...
  9. D

The Ford Dealers are not divided, I definitely have the wrong part. I bought it due to inexperience. Now that you explained how the part numbers work, I see that any solenoid module will have the 7G391. But, so far, the transmission works well. Just keep in mind that I just bought this truck...
  10. D

So, I decided to put some fluid in and see if the transmission works. And guess what, it works fine. The car shifts through all gears, no delays, no rpm going higher, overdrive works, the O/D light is off. I checked and have no enhanced codes. I drove for about 15 minutes and 10 miles and had no...
  11. D

Hey Imp, I replaced the solenoid module, everything went fine. But I have a problem. I compared that part number (9L2Z-7G391-A) with the Ford Parts website, which showed me only the 7G391. Since they partially matched, I went ahead and put the new module in. I had to go to a ford dealer to buy...
  12. D

How To: Replacing Upper Ball Joints on a 3rd Gen 4x4 [Pictures]

I bought the same ones from Autozone and they are Moog. They're kind of different though, they have a castle nut with the locking pin, a grease fitting, and a ring to hold the ball joint. I can't find it at the Moog website. They seem to have the same shape as Moog K80008, but I haven't tried to...
  13. D

2002 Explorer 4wd lower ball joint replacement - Removal of front shaft?

Thanks, that's what I needed to know! I'll tackle this tomorrow if my pollen allergy allows me to. Not so funny outdoors when you're sniffing your lungs out....
  14. D

Thanks for replying EasyRhino. I'm actually asking about the lower ball joints replacement in a 4wd. I've read through the post you've mentioned, and there's no mention to the lower ball joints. Some people have replaced them, but they didn't say anything about the axle. Thanks
  15. D

Hey guys, I searched through the forum and have not found a definite answer. I need to replace my front lower and upper ball joints. The car is a 2002 Explorer 4wd. There's a great write up for lower ball joints in a 2wd. Is it the same procedure for a 4wd? Do I have to remove the front...
  16. D

Ok, I found the solenoid module, but I'm not sure about the part number. Is 9L2Z-7G391-A the correct one? Another relevant piece of information. I went under the car and there's a yellow plate on my transmission pan. It says to check "US and Canadian Dealers Only - Exchange Program - Prior to...
  17. D

Good news then! The 130 bucks spent on the scanner paid off. Nice piece of equipment. I'll put in a new module. Would you recommend doing something to the valve body as well? I read about rebuilding it, don't know if that's really necessary in my case. The truck has 182K miles by the way. I...
  18. D

Hey Imp, I received the scanner! I had no codes stored in the PCM. They were in the Enhanced Codes "section". Here they are: P0796 - Pressure control solenoid C performance or stuck off. Replacing the solenoid module will correct this? P1000 - Continuous OBD systems readiness not complete. I...
  19. D

I called the Ford dealer and they won't just retrieve the codes for me. They want 125 bucks to diagnose the transmission. Well, for 125 dollars I bought a scanner! I decided to buy one instead of throwing parts at the car. I may need to use it again in the future, who knows. I bought the Equus...
  20. D

Imp, sorry about taking so long to reply. I've been busy lately. I agree with you, it's probably an easy fix, that's why the shop did not want to tell the code. They diagnosed it for free, so I can understand. I tried to have the transmission codes read, but no one wants to read it without...
  21. D

Imp, thank you for replying. I took the car to a transmission shop today. I've been told that there are no codes stored. They said that probably a valve in the valve body is sticking, causing the O/D light to flash and hard shifts. They want to take it apart for inspection and cleaning. If the...
  22. D

So many views and no response! Come on guys, I just need some input here! Thanks
  23. D

I just posted this on another thread but got no response. I hope that you can help me. I'm having problems with 2002 Explorer 4x4 automatic, transmission 5R55W. I'm not familiar with explorers, therefore some of the symptoms that I indicate here may be normal operation. I used an OBD2 reader and...
  24. D

OD OFF light blinking

Hey guys, I hope you can help me too. I'm having similar problems with my friend's car. It is a 2002 Explorer 4x4 automatic. I don't know the transmission number (4R55E or 5R55S), but I can check that if you'd like. I'm not familiar with explorers, therefore some of the symptoms that I indicate...
  25. D

Vibration when deceleration at high speed

Well, I took the car in to rebalance the wheels. They were fine, but they did the job anyways. The vibration persists at 75 mph. I haven't had time to replace the shocks today, but I doubt that they are causing this. Since acceleration/deceleration decreases/increases the vibration, I'm betting...
Back