Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Rear Heater Line Leaking

Well. I wasn't so lucky. Coming home from work yesterday my Ex overheated. It happened close to home so I it could have been worse. So today I got underneath to find out what happened. It looks like the original slow leak was indeed a clamp but it was one of them above the rear diff. What...
  2. S

Rear Heater Line Leaking

PJW - we also have similar miles on our EX's, I'm at 202,000 kms, a little shy of 126k miles. When the weather improves I'm going under again and hope it is just a clamp as well but I swear the leak was a little further rearward on the metal section of the line. Just to clarify though, when...
  3. S

Rear Heater Line Leaking

It is clearly leaking from the rear end of the vehicle, under hood is bone dry. The lines are at a high point above the spare and only the one line is wet with coolant. I'd take a picture but I'm not crawling underneath again until the weather improves, the EX is filthy with salt at the moment.
  4. S

Rear Heater Line Leaking

I checked underneath and can pinpoint the area of the leak within a couple inches on the tube. It is just forward of the spare tire. The condition of the line looks good however, assuming it is stainless. Appears to be a composite line with a crimped rubber end for the bend up towards the...
  5. S

Rear Heater Line Leaking

I have been losing coolant the last few months and finally found the culprit. There must be a pinhole leak in one of the coolant lines running to the rear heater unit. There are four lines running to the unit and one of them is wet with coolant and leaving a nice trail around the spare tire...
  6. S

AC Compressor Rattle at Idle

I changed the tensioner this morning and the rattle is gone. The hub of the tensioner on the old one is loose, can certainly see why it was making noise. Easy to change but removed the top of the air cleaner and moved the recovery tank out of my way to get some also room.
  7. S

It is an '06. Going to replace it on the weekend and see what happens.
  8. S

So I took a closer look yesterday and believe the rattle is actually the belt tensioner. It bounces around a little but once the AC kicks on, it really goes for a ride and the rattle starts. I'm going to change the tensioner and see if that solves it.
  9. S

Anyone have this problem on their EX? My AC compressor has been noisy all summer. I only notice it at idle and it is only noisy when the compressor kicks on. It could be making the noise at road speed but ambient noises might be drowning it out. The AC works great for now at least. Is this...
  10. S

2008 Explorer XLT blower motor resistor procedure

So I completed the repair over the weekend and can share that you either need very small hands or specific tools to get this done. Main issue was getting the larger black box (I believe referenced as a 4WD module) removed. The back screw is a pain in the arse to access. a 1/4 drive swivel...
  11. S

works now, great. Thank you!
  12. S

I know this thread is a bit old but I now have the same issue on my '06 Ex. First two fan speeds don't work, #2 just quit on me a couple days ago. It would appear i have to replace the resistor as discussed above but none of the pictures are active in this thread. Anybody have these to repost?
  13. S

Temporary stumble.rough running

So on my way home from work the other day the Ex started to stumble badly, almost to the point of feeling like it was going to stall. This happened as I slowed to a stop from highway speeds and proceeded to stumble for the rest of my drive home, about 15min. It seemed smoother once the RPM...
  14. S

What is this?

Ive been meaning to ask this question since getting the Ex. When I purchased the Ex it came with the below fabric pad stored in the glove box. It is about 15" long by about 7" wide and has a plastic clip at each end. It has a FoMoCo label on the back side so I assume it belongs with the SUV...
  15. S

Anybody else have that nasty rust spot just below rear glass?

SO... had a look under the Ex the other day to see where the rust stains on my driveway are coming from. To my delight.... both rockers are rotting out. Looks like it has been doing it for quite some time. Can't see it unless you are right under the SUV since the running boards block it all...
  16. S

throttle body gasket

They are there as a means to prevent/reduce the air rush noise or whoosh sound when the throttle body is rapidly moved from the closed to open position. This was an issue first noticed with a change to plastic manifolds that was made worse when electronic throttle bodies are used. There are...
  17. S

Anybody else have that nasty rust spot just below rear glass?

I've had a spot show up twice now coming from under the chrome trim piece on the liftgate with the Ford emblem. I had it repaired the first time four years ago but it is back. I think there is a design issue between this trim piece attachment and the body panel. Going to get it fixed again in...
  18. S

Hum @ speed

Well, the right front bearing is starting to be annoying now and am looking at options to replace it. The other two were done at the dealer with Ford replacement parts but I am thinking of going another route to save some money for this one. Anyone heard of our use Mevotech hub assemblies...
  19. S

Hum @ speed

Just wanted to give an update on this. I put new tires on in December and the hum did not change. It started to get noticeably worse over the last couple months and I could start to hear a pitch change when turning left/right so I figured it was time to bring it in. Turned out to be the left...
  20. S

fan stays on when accelrating

My Ex does this when it is very hot and AC on. If I have a drive long enough to get to full temperature and park it for a few minutes. On the next start-up while it has heat soaked, the fan will stay on until the speed increases and the trans shifts into 3rd. At that point the fan stops...
  21. S

Hum @ speed

I thought wheel bearing noise changes when you turn left/right depending on which bearing is going bad. This hum doesn't change volume or pitch when a turn the wheel, remains constant. I will need to get a new set of tires before winter so I will see if the noise stays or goes along with the...
  22. S

Hum @ speed

Looking to see if anyone has experienced this on there Ex. I have a hum/drone at speeds between 100-120 kph that sounds like it is coming from the front end. When the hum is at its worst, approx 110-115 kph, I also feel a faint vibration in the steering wheel. Could this just be the old...
  23. S

Odd Thing I Noticed with Heat @ Idle vs Off Idle

Boy, things change in a day! Cold again this morning and could see vapour coming through the grill when I parked for work. Opened the hood and found coolant puddling in the valley of the engine. Had it checked out and it looks like the thermostat housing is cracked. Sounds like a known issue...
  24. S

Did that and found the recovery bottle empty !! Filled the radiator and bottle back up and let it run a few times and topped-up the bottle to the fill line. I still think it has a temperature variation but nothing like it was before. I would like to know where the coolant went, there are no...
  25. S

So, with the very cold temperatures we have been getting over the last few weeks I have noticed that it seems the temperature of the air coming out of the vents cools down when I'm sitting at idle and warm up when I'm cruising. Never noticed this before but then I haven't seen -25C with this SUV...
Back