Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. G

Looking for auto hub part 92 4X4

Forgive me if I am posting this in he wrong place... but I have a 92 Explorer with the auto hubs... which in spite of all their bad press, for my use have been good and useful and performed fine. After 25 years and early 250K miles, the part I think is known as the "actuator cam" on one side...
  2. G

Glacier's Tool Loaner policy - ended

I have had a number of folks recently ask if I still loan (Rent as they put it) tranny tools. I told them, as I now tell all of you, the answer is no. Why? I was trying to help folks by not charging anything for them to use tools they might only need once. I was a little late in charging an...
  3. G

Glacier's Re-return

Sorry to those who have tried to reach me here without success. Life has been a whirlwind of late.... but hope to be able to spend more time here again soon. If you send me a PM and do not get a response try my regular email at glacier991@aol.com. I am happy to try and assist, just of...
  4. G

Glacier is back

Well, after a little hiatus, I am happy to say I am back. I trust all has been well in my absence. I had some things to attend to in my life, and have those mostly taken care of. I have not forgotten you all, and for amusement I have started a instructional video on rebuilding the 4R70W. It...
  5. G

Low cost sniffer

I have long been advocating folks to invest in a gauge set, and at the same time railing against the cheap gauges that come with recharge kits.... misleading folks into thinking AC pressures are like tire pressures, which is NOT true... And now you can buy a gauge set on sale at Harbor Freight...
  6. G

4R70W changes - 2004 (4R70E 4R75E)

One of our members was kind enough to send me an article on some of the changes made to the 4R70W in 2004. I have not had a chance to get my hands on that recent a model to look at, but was aware thatsomething was up when they increased the torque handling capacity and came out with the 4R75W...
  7. G

4R70W Rebuild Diary - PART 21 - VALVE BODY UPGRADES

[This thread is under construction, and is locked. Please be patient as I upload the pix and paste them and as I develop this thread. THANKS!] The 4R70W Valve Body has undergone a slow evolution from the AOD up to the 4R75W current version. Breakpoint years have been 95, 98 and 2001. As...
  8. G

History of the C-3/A4LD/4R and 5R Trannies

courtesy of Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_C3_transmission#4R44E
  9. G

How to: 1st GEN HEADLIGHT IMPROVEMENT DIARY (PICS)

(Apologies to AA) "Hi. My name is Glacier, and I own a 92 FORD Explorer." "Hi Glacier!" Ok I admit it, I'm addicted... To my 1st Gen Explorer. I love my old explorer.:) 225K and all original except brakes, tires, shocks, exhaust, windshield and radio - ok a few other minor things as...
  10. G

A/C Frequently Asked Questions - Idea Thread

As we once again start towards warmer weather the A/C questions will inevitably come. It occurs to me (after answering the same Q's more times than I can count) that we ought to have a FAQ on this forum for A/C questions. I mean most every conceivable Q is answered in the longer threads on AC in...
  11. G

How to: The Borg Warner 4405 Transfer Case Rebuild Diary

I am going to try and put this entire thread together much as I did the 4R70W Diary, so those just needing basic info do not have to sift through a lot of chatter throughout the thread. I will create and link another comment thread for those comments - which is here...
  12. G

How to: BW 4405 Transfer Case Rebuild Diary - Comments, Questions and Input Thread

Lead in to the 4405 Rebuild Diary Questions and Comments Thread (below) Well, I have a slew of pictures of a BW 4405 TC disassembly... now I need to educate myself to explain what's in them. Ya know, everyone starts somewhere in learning new things. I do and have freely admitted I know...
  13. G

Forget CVT - Forget 6 Speed.. THIS is it! TOO MUCH FUN. MUST READ !!!! FUNNY

I have long awaited one on the general market, and now Doc has done it. The utimate is available for the masses... ok it's pricey, but HEY.... consider the opportunities! Enjoy! http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=28 ps. The muffler bearing is a...
  14. G

Some Transfer Case (4405) Q's

I am helping out a member with a TC problem. I sold him a 4405 TC... and the stickers on it noted "torque on demand" and "traction on demand" - which I assume might mean it was from an 98 or newer but really have no clue. He is installing it as we speak (this is a stranded vehicle away from...
  15. G

5R55W/E/A4LD comparison coming

I finally scored a 5R55W! So now I can do a side by side component comparison with the 5R55W and a 5R55E and the A4LD. This might be interesting.... a super frankentranny? or a new design that leaves the 5R/A4 in the dust? Stay tuned, once it arrives I will be taking it apart and making the...
  16. G

Glacier's "How Good Is An Ebay *Rebuilt* A4LD Transmission" ?

Alternate title: Why you should never buy an A4LD or any transmission from someone named SILVERISMONEY1 on E-Bay. PRELUDE This post is a little prelude to this next diary. I get a lot of PM's asking this question, "How good is an E-Bay rebuilt tranny? and should I buy one? (Well I...
  17. G

Kevlar Friction material - An Update

Some of you may recall my angst as i debated using kevlar bands in my rebuilds in the diaries. For a number of reasons I was a skeptic.... and my legitimate questions never got answered. Well now the word on the street is that Kevlar was NOT all that good.. and the new "high performance"...
  18. G

Teaser: Coming Soon to a Thread near you

A review of the ELM Proscan laptop software system. It is a well written piece with screenshots... a couple of examples: and I hope he willpost it next week.
  19. G

E-Bay stories

Well, some of you know I am sort of an E-Bay rat, and ferret out the best deals I can find online. I think I am pretty savvy, but I have learned a few things along the way, and have a couple stories to share. I received a shipment of a 4R70W drivetrain today that exemplifies the bad. First...
  20. G

A Modest proposal for those 5R55E Owners - EPC Solenoid Replacement Proposal

Ok... I'm doing a little searching here. For those of you with 5R55E transmissions who either need to or are thinking about replacing the EPC solenoid due to 2-3 shift flare or other potential EPC related issues.... let me float an idea past you.... The current model EPC solenoid is made by...
  21. G

The 5R55E and the infamous 2-3 shift flare issue

Well by now, if you are either a loyal reader of this sub forum, or possibly have an Explorer with a 5R55E, you are used to hearing complaints about the so-called 2-3 shift flare. Simply put, many folks experience a situation where, at the time the transmission is shifting from 2nd gear to 3rd...
  22. G

Mailsend's request for help - 5R55E

Originally posted by Mailsend but in the wrong thread.... reposting it here for him. hello there. I have an 5r55e trans 1999 ford ranger that has done great with 238.000 miles before any trouble. Well now in trouble. I have rebuilt the trans and put back in truck with bellhousing not inline...
  23. G

Synchronous v non-Synchronous shifts in AT's

A while ago, someone asked about issues relating to the fact his transmission might be a non-synchronous automatic shifting transmission. I replied that i was not aware of a difference in AT's in that regard. "Synchronous" implies two or more things operating "in synch" - whatever that might...
  24. G

New Diaries... what do you want to see?

I have been gone a lot the last few months..... and have a lot of possible diaries sitting in my garage. In time I want to do them all, but would like to know what you all want to see first, second, etc. So far I have pretty well done the A4LD rebuild and A4ld VB rebuild. I have done a 5R55E VB...
  25. G

Modulator Changeout w/ Resulting Problems Musings

I have had a few PM's from folks who have replaced a bad modulator, only to have a new set of shifting problems appear afterwards. I have, anecdotally, also heard of this phenomenon. I have been thinking why this should occur, and have some preliminary ideas to share. These are just my ideas...
Back