Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. F

inmates cracked my windsheild

I may be replacing my windshield soon. It has so many little rock chips that the reflection from the sun makes it nearly impossible to see! This is my 3rd 2nd-gen Explorer and all of them have been made in the Louisville plant except my current Explorer which was made at the St. Louis plant, so...
  2. F

What is this?

Hi guys, I was working on replacing my spark plugs and wires today when I noticed this on my engine. I assume it's not supposed to be melted away like this. A few questions about it: 1) what is it, what does it do? 2) how did it get in that condition? 3) do I need to replace it urgently? 4)...
  3. F

Lighted running boards

I realize that I am resurrecting an old thread, but I too need help with my running board lights. All of my interior lights work, but none of the running board lights. I have replaced the bulbs, tested with my multimeter, the wires to the running boards are not getting power. Do the running...
  4. F

Explorer Forum License Plate Frames !!!

I got mine last week and I love them! I need to honor them with fresh screws...
  5. F

Power locks blow out fuse #18

Yeah, I know! I couldn't figure out why the locks weren't working and I found the relay missing. I sent a text to the person I bought it from and said he had tried fixing it but didn't get very far, so I think it was a problem even before he got it. He, of course, didn't disclose that the locks...
  6. F

You led me to find the problem, thank you!! I checked the junction box and the wiring into the car, no broken cabling. While I had the door off, I tested the locking. Locks worked fine, which indicated to me that the problem was within the drivers door. I took it apart and found that the cables...
  7. F

Hi all, I apologize if this has been posted about before. I recently bought a 2000 Explorer 4Dr and quickly realized that I could unlock but not lock the doors from any of the switches or the remote. I did some research and found that there is a connection under the carpet in the back seat...
  8. F

Mysterious coolant leak

The hoses to the heater cores are hot, so I assume that means the valve is working letting coolant in. When I top off the coolant the heat seems to come back, so it's a matter of making sure it stays topped off.
  9. F

Mysterious coolant leak

Just saw the price per fuel injector...nope, never mind! I think I will do the spark plugs though, $2.48 each from RockAuto. I just got the car so I have no idea if they were ever done and I'm at 132k.
  10. F

Mysterious coolant leak

I will go ahead and order the intake manifold. While I am in there, should I replace the injectors and spark plugs? Those are preventive things I can think of off the top of my head.
  11. F

Mysterious coolant leak

Thanks guys! I have the engine cover off and have looked around, kind of hard to see if there are any leaks on the back of the engine. The area around the thermostat housing is perfectly dry, no signs of leaks.
  12. F

Mysterious coolant leak

Hi everyone! 2002 Explorer Limited 4.6 with rear A/C. I have noticed coolant loss along with my heat not working that well. I noticed coolant on my driveway, but it is coming from behind the engine (between the engine and transmission). I looked under the car, none of the hoses are leaking or...
  13. F

Little or no heat 2005 explorer

I haven't done any work on my cooling system, but I seem to have very little heat as well. I topped off my fluid but that didn't do anything. Have you found a solution yet?
  14. F

ABS light, flashing 4x4 HIGH light

Hi All, Just picked up a 2002 Explorer Limited V8 with 131k on the clock. I replaced my wrecked '97 Explorer. Anyway, I bought this with the ABS light on. I was okay with it because I thought it was probably just the rear sensor. During the test drive and on the entire drive home (90...
  15. F

Spontaneous Oil Consumption

Hi everyone, Looking to seek a little guidance, even though there may already be a forum for this. I have a 1997 4.0 SOHC Explorer with 152,309 miles. I bought it 11 months ago with 140,000 miles. Since I purchased it, I have checked the oil level nearly every time I am at the pump. I changed...
  16. F

Remote start installers -- Seattle area!

My Explorer doesn't have PATS, which is a blessing in this regard. Unfortunately it seems like my air conditioning compressor may have gone out on me, so the remote start will have to wait. :thumbdwn: :(
  17. F

Remote start installers -- Seattle area!

Can anyone recommend a good remote start installer in the Seattle, WA area? I usually do all of my own stereo installs, but the relays and wire splicing in the remote start install is beyond me and I don't trust places like CarToys. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated...
  18. F

Clicking and low voltage

I don't use the Vent position. I either have it in A/C or defrost. The air conditioning always works great, very cold, even though the compressor cycles on and off.
  19. F

Clicking and low voltage

I cleaned the IACV today with some brake cleaner. I got a lot of gunk out of it and it looked a lot nicer when I put it back on. However the issue is still occurring. Is there a way that I can further test the IACVs function?
  20. F

Clicking and low voltage

Hi guys, Just back from Wisconsin (COLD!!). I took a look under the hood and couldn't seem to find the IACV...I know what it is supposed to look like, but couldn't find it on the engine. I will take a closer look tomorrow if someone can help point me to the right spot. Is there a way I can...
  21. F

Clicking and low voltage

I'm on a flight to visit my brother right now so I will play with the Explorer when I get home...wish I could have driven it! My Explorer is one of the best riding cars for long trips. My dad's $60k VW Touareg is great too, but my Explorer doesn't cost $400 to replace a headlight bulb...
  22. F

Clicking and low voltage

I just thought of this and think it may be relevant. It only does this when the car is idling in park or neutral. If I'm in reverse or drive, it seems to run fine. I went to AutoZone and they tested the voltage. The alternator charges at 14v with the air conditioning off. When the AC is on, it...
  23. F

Clicking and low voltage

Hi DjDom, I have the 4.0 SOHC. Any photo that I can use as a reference for what I should disconnect or part number if I determine that I need to replace it? Thanks for your help!
  24. F

Clicking and low voltage

Hi guys, I believe I had a previous post regarding this and I need a little help figuring out what is going on. Since I bought my Explorer, I have had an issue with the air conditioning compressor cycling on and off. With the clicking on and off, it would put a load on the engine and...
  25. F

High Mileage SOHC's Explorers

I was a little disappointed by the lack of photos in this thread. I have a 1997 Explorer 4.0l SOHC with 147,899 miles on it. I picked it up off of Craigslist back in February 2013 with 142k on it. I don't drive very much (2 mile commute to work and college) so I anticipate it will stay low...
Back