Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. H

Limited slip differential going south?

Thanks everyone. I'll add the friction modifier first, and see how that goes.
  2. H

Limited slip differential going south?

'99 AWD Mountaineer, 165K miles, D4 axle code. I replaced the fluid in my rear diff about a year ago when it started to shudder on accelerating from stop, while turning. I used the Mobil 1 synthetic stuff which I've read doesn't need the anti-friction fluid added. It's still shuddering...
  3. H

Hats Off To Monroe!

Did you replace them yourself? I have a '99 AWD Mountaineer, and have been thinking about replacing my worn-out shocks with these.
  4. H

How long does the Explorer live?

141K, 13 years, 11K per year.
  5. H

"Auto-darkening" rear view mirror, doesn't

My '99 Mounty's rear-view mirror has the automatic-darkening feature, so that you don't have to manually "flip" the mirror up at night to reduce the glare of headlights behind you. The problem is, it hasn't worked properly in ages. It only dims when, and only when, there's a vehicle...
  6. H

Towing with 75W90 in rear differential?

I have been thinking about switching to synthetic 75W90 in my rear differential, to help improve my MPG's (it's been 4 years since my last confes.. er, fluid change.) But, I do tow a camper maybe 4 or 5 times a year. It's a 17' hybrid, not sure of weight. Our trips aren't too long, maybe...
  7. H

power steering fluid.

I used a bulb-start siphon hose, to drain the fluid out of my reservoir, with the engine running. Every time the fluid level would get low (but before the pump started sucking air, which will make an audible groaning) I would top up the reservoir, from a gallon container of ATF. After doing...
  8. H

Fluid change (looking for a how to) and what to buy

Re. your inquiry about which plugs to use... I just changed the plugs in my '99 5.0L V8 AWD Mounty. The old plugs were Motorcraft platinums, installed at 102K miles. At 140K miles, my gas mileage was getting worse and starting was getting harder, sp I switched them out for Autolite double...
  9. H

Cylinder 7 Misfire

How is your oil consumption?
  10. H

Cylinder 7 Misfire

When I changed my plugs ('99 5.0L V8) at around 90K miles, the #8 plug looked oily. A short time (2K miles?) later, it began to occasionally misfire. The culprit was a marginal coil pack - replacing that cleared up the problem, and at the next plug change the #8 plug looked normal, compared...
  11. H

Radar Detector Hardwire

If you're doing a permanent (or semi-permanent) radar detector install, just be certain that you're never ever going to drive through Virginia, D.C., or on any military bases.
  12. H

Are Autolite better? I installed Bosch spark plugs. Now my MPG is definately down. :(

Just wanted to add a data point to this thread... I replaced my 4-year-old (35K miles) Motorcraft Platinum (dealer installed) spark plugs last week, with Autolite APP104 double platinums gapped to .052". I didn't notice a substantial difference in power or smooth idling, but maybe a...
  13. H

2006 Explorer rear window heater/defrost

I'm having a similar problem on my '99 Mountaineer. I disconncted one tab and put my meter in series with the circuit - it's getting 12 volts (13+, actually) but it's not defrosting. I'm going to check amps, next, to see how much current is flowing.
  14. H

Rear defroster woes - '99 Mountaineer

I have a '99 Mountaineer AWD.... I just repaired the rear window defroster tab (using Permatex conductive tab adhesive), which has been detached for about a year. I attached the tab to shiny metal - a cleaned, lightly sanded spot next to the original attachment point. The repair looks...
  15. H

Front differential question

Thanks... I had a look at that thread, but a job like that is way over my head. Looks like a trip to the shop!
  16. H

Front differential question

Resurrecting this, if I may... I have a '99 Mountaineer AWD with 135K on it. The drivetrain fluids were last changed around 5 years ago, and I decided I'd do it myself this time to save $$$. I changed the transfer case fluid the other day, and all went well. BUT, it appears I've got a...
  17. H

Still sucking fuel...

I had a misfire in one cylinder last year, but I felt it rather than heard it (felt like the transmission was momentarily dropping out of overdrive). New wires and plugs didn't help, but it cleared up and ran good as new when they replaced one of the coil packs. But if your temp is...
  18. H

Still sucking fuel...

Sticking brake caliper(s)?
  19. H

Wheel Well liner Replacement?

Thanks bobflood, I spent over an hour googling to no avail... I owe you a beer!
  20. H

Wheel Well liner Replacement?

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but does anyone know a source for replacement wheel well liners? I tried ################## as well as motorcraft's web site, but found no joy in either place. BTW, why is the forum's software blanking out a---partswareh-use? Is that company verboten to...
  21. H

Powerslot rotors & hawk pads - Q.

Hi all, I'm getting ready to do my front brakes (I got tired of spending hundreds of dollars on labor, for mediocre work.) After searching and reading through the forum for brake information, it looks like a lot of members recommend Powerslot rotors and Hawk pads. Looking at tirerack's...
Back