Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

4.0 V6 chain rattle - Percentage

Going by this if you would replace the Tensioners every 75K miles this engine would last a lot longer. If you keep the chains tight you should be alright, at least that is how I'm interpreting what you said, thanks!
  2. B

Just to clarify and to see if I understand correctly, the Fourth generation Explorer's do not have this timing chain issue correct? So they are not using the V6, 4.0 SOHC like previous years? If they are using the same engine what improvements did they make on the engine? Stronger plastic on the...
  3. B

That sucks. 14 year old vehicle. What do you do? Fix it yourself if you have the attributes I mentioned above or Pay someone to repair it costing thousands of dollars? Either way your screwed. What did you end up doing?
  4. B

Thats fine as long as you have the engine or tranny out, have a garage with all the tools, the time, knowledge, help and physical ability to do all that and a extra vehicle to get to your regular job while the one your working on is down. Im old (62), overweight, no garage, live in cold climate...
  5. B

Interesting. Thanks! Merry Christmas!
  6. B

I thought STP was made to be used with conventional motor oil? You don't think synthetic oil would be better to use?
  7. B

Do you use synthetic oil? If yes is that compatible with STP? Thanks
  8. B

Thanks for that link. Interesting. :)
  9. B

Well said Imp. Some more questions. Wouldn't you think that the engineers who designed this engine were aware of all that? Or was this just a case of "planned obsolescence"? Does/did no other car maker besides Ford use this design (chain guides)? If they did wouldn't they have the same issues...
  10. B

I've had a slight rattle at start up. I changed the tensioners and that seemed to take care of it.(132K miles) You have to assume that your cassettes are not busted as it drives fine any other time. Maybe your tensioners just need changed? I don't know.
  11. B

Doug, interesting. That sort of was my question.There is got to be millions upon million of these engines out there. Are they all going to need timing chain work because of plastic cassettes? Doug, did you ever replace the tensioners to see if that would help? A few other questions if anyone...
  12. B

Thanks for the replies fellows. Guess I will sell it .
  13. B

Hello. Just curious. I've been reading about the 4.0 chain rattle, broken guides, replacing tensioners, etc on this board for over a year. I had a slight rattle on start up that went away after a short time. I replaced the tensioners and this seemed to fix the problem. My question is does ALL...
  14. B

2004 Explorer 4.0. Timing chain tensioners.

"If you disengage the retaining clip the sensor can be removed. You may want to replace the sensor O ring when reinstalling the sensor.". Thanks a million Streetrod. This is exactly what I needed to know! :)
  15. B

2004 Explorer 4.0. Timing chain tensioners.

Hello again. couldn't find this info for my exact vehicle. I've decided to change the hydraulic pensioners on my 2004 explorer 4.0 sohc v6 . Lot of room to get the back one off. Question on the top tensioner. Looks like an electrical plug on the thermostat is in the way. I had this housing...
  16. B

Which is better Pre-Oiler or By Pass?

302 = 5.0 V8, got it. No, I don't need AWD/4wd. To be honest I rather just have a 2 wheel drive car. Thanks all!
  17. B

Hi don. Now that is the kind of info I need if I sale this vehicle. I don't want or need nothing fancy. I'm just looking for a reliable engine and transmission that don't have these common and predictable problems like certain years of the 4.0 V6 Had. Its a shame cause other than this. I really...
  18. B

Thanks for the input Don and #4. The impending doom of this engine is too much stress for me. As I said above, I'm too old now to mess with any major engine work. No garage, bad knees and back plus limited funds. Will try to sell it (will take a loss) and find another used vehicle to stress me...
  19. B

Hi Don. Happy fourth. I've been holding my foot down on the gas pedal till my oil pressure comes up then starting the car. Wouldn't this be accomplishing the same thing as installing a pre-oiler? As far as a repairing the problem, the rattle pretty much goes away. There is a slight noise there...
  20. B

High cost. Vehicle is 13 years old. Already put more money into it than its worth.
  21. B

Thanks for the info Don!
  22. B

Hello. I have been lurking here reading all the different threads about pre-oilers. I have the chain rattle at start up and have been holding the accelerator pedal down all the way when starting till I get oil pressure, as some members here have said they have done. I been gathering info to...
  23. B

How to: Timing chain rattle resolution process - SOHC V6

Thanks for the video 2000StreetRod. You don't happen to know if there are any write ups or pics on someone doing this on the explorer 4.0 v6? Thank You!
  24. B

How to: Timing chain rattle resolution process - SOHC V6

Hello. Resurrecting an old thread again. I got 04 explorer 4.0 v6. I get the chain rattle at startup then it goes away. engine has 132K miles on it. It runs fine. I'm thinking of installing one of these AutoEngineLube Pre-Lube Kits.Some guys here seem to say that it took care of its startup...
Back