Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. OSUChE

2000 Explorer Washer Pump Relay(s)

Excellent thread! I returned recently from another overseas trip and found my washer fluid pump inoperative upon start-up. This is everything needed to fix the problem in one place! Thanks everyone for staying on topic and great info! And thanks Ri2616 for reporting the problem solved! 🙂👍
  2. OSUChE

2000 explorer 5.0 4r70 dip stick

PM me, I have a spare in storage...
  3. OSUChE

Some kind of pump runs randomly when vehicle is parked

These models are equipped with a relay that cuts power to this and other electric systems after 40 minutes (time?) to prevent draining the battery. Might be an issue with this...
  4. OSUChE

Thought it appropriate to say hello after being gone for a while.

Thanks! Not too cold here yet, been hovering between 20-35F a little snow on the ground this morning though. Finally picked up the engine at the shop yesterday, so I’ll be R&R’ing it starting today...
  5. OSUChE

Thought it appropriate to say hello after being gone for a while.

Just returned from another winter stint in Antarctica, this time at Palmer Station on Anvers Island. Now back in Anchorage and ready to install the rebuilt 5.0 I left at a shop 2 1/2 years ago! New Comp Cam 35-351-8 and 1631-16 roller rockers, shaved heads, eutectic pistons, springs, lifters...
  6. OSUChE

Back from another Winter in Antarctica! Again, going to try and get the new engine that was...

Back from another Winter in Antarctica! Again, going to try and get the new engine that was going to go in the Ex in last Spring installed!
  7. OSUChE

Header cracked...

When I return from Antarctica next November and drop in the new engine, I was planning on adding a Mag-Hytec extra-capacity pan, temp gauge and new torque converter.
  8. OSUChE

Header cracked...

Hard to believe but the tranny is still going strong 215k later. Of course I service it regularly. Fluid is still cherry red. Funny thing is I happened to be carrying the tranny from the 98 Mounty with me in the trailer, not as a spare but because it was part of the move. The border guys laughed...
  9. OSUChE

Header cracked...

I’m wondering about the fuel pump, it’s never been replaced but will be when I install the new engine this fall. I pulled a plug on the trip and it looked fine, not bone white like a lean burn... I run a clean K&N air filter at all times too. Definitely a 98, gt40p heads and it was a complete...
  10. OSUChE

Header cracked...

Amen brother, this was my fourth trip up with a grossly overload trailer. I like the hood vents My Garmin tells me my average moving speed was 47.5 MPH. On the flat she would comfortably do 65-70. Going downhill was always more of a concern than going up because of the packed snow and ice...
  11. OSUChE

Header cracked...

Thanks for the info on bolts, ARP Lube and plug wires, I’ll look into it. Already know the OBX headers are going to need a bit of grinding, as we test fit them to the heads at the machine shop. I was considering the hood venting and thinking out loud here; Bernoulli tells me venting this area...
  12. OSUChE

Header cracked...

You’re probably correct as the capacity may be the same but it’s definitely a bit deeper compared to the pressed steel one on the ‘temporary’ 98 Mounty engine I’m running now. Did the oil intercooler setup come stock on 97’s? I’d send a photo of the aluminum oil pan but it’s at the shop building...
  13. OSUChE

Header cracked...

Sounds like the radiator upgrade is a “must do” to add to my list when I get back! Where did you find it? My Ex came with a trailer tow package that included an in-line water-cooled oil filter base, an extra capacity aluminum oil pan and an external tranny cooler.
  14. OSUChE

Header cracked...

Okay, I have an update after pulling an 8,100lb trailer up the AlCan to Fairbanks from Oregon via Spokane: First, let me say I wouldn’t ever recommend pulling a trailer this heavy with a stock Ex! I was most certainly over the CVWR by a few thousand pounds, something the Canadian Border folks...
  15. OSUChE

Header cracked...

Boy, can I say something about this issue. I’ve towed three trailers up the AlCan with mine. The long tow generates a lot of heat in that corner of the engine compartment and seems to kill these. Each time I’ve ended up with a cracked exhaust manifold. Every time I replaced it, it was with a...
  16. OSUChE

Just returned from a year at Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station! Getting ready to install a new...

Just returned from a year at Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station! Getting ready to install a new engine built by Valley Machine, Wasilla, AK..
  17. OSUChE

Thanks for the update I’m still trying to figure out how to handle the install. Are you...

Thanks for the update I’m still trying to figure out how to handle the install. Are you certain about the F-150 tank? Looks like a pretty tight fit. I called an Australian outfit, still waiting to hear back from them. When I was in Alice Springs this past Dec, I stopped in at ARB and they...
  18. OSUChE

Hi there! Was wondering if you succeeded in mounting the F150 tank in your Ex? I’be been...

Hi there! Was wondering if you succeeded in mounting the F150 tank in your Ex? I’be been searching forever for an extended range fuel tank. Have seen the post on the Bronco II tank, but I prefer not to move the shock mounts... Thanks!
  19. OSUChE

Using oil sending wire to energize small relay

Kinda what I'm thinking... When the new engine goes in I agree; time for a real oil pressure gauge ;-)
  20. OSUChE

Using oil sending wire to energize small relay

I want to use the green and white oil pressure switch wire to energize one of the small Ford type relays. I'm doing this because I don't want to relay to activate until I have oil pressure. This relay is to close the circuit on a larger solenoid to charge my second battery once the engine...
  21. OSUChE

Parting 1995-2001 explorer 5.0 limited

Looking for the step cover for the rear bumper...the one that goes across the top of the bumper. Thanks!
  22. OSUChE

Got a sunroof? Do this for preventative maintenance

Good tip! Same thing happened to me a few years back. Was parked consistently under a tree that dropped tiny debri that not only plugged the drain lines on my X, but the air intake box drain tubes on my MB AMG, that..was disastrous !!!
  23. OSUChE

Install aux input on factory 6 disk player

You most likely will need an interface adapter such as a P.I.E. model shown here : http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_38443_P.I.E.-FRD04-AUX.html I installed a three input on my 97 LTD inside the tissue box holder at the front of the console. It works great for me.
  24. OSUChE

Explorer Towing WOES

I have a 97 AWD V8 with stock running gear and factory towing package. Cant recall what the owners manual states as towing capacity but I can tell you this: I have trailered two SUV's (Explorer and Pathfinder) on 16' tandem axle auto haulers and a 2300 lb boat from Oregon to Anchorage (AlCan)...
  25. OSUChE

Wiring up high beams with low beams

Hi/Lo How To: See my post in http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28683. Have run this mod for two years now w/o any issues using Sylvania SilverStars and am very happy with it. Rick
Back