Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 6

door handle spring

My drivers door handle has gone limp !! Seriously I think the spring has broken ?? Has anyone had this experience. Is it difficult to replace it ? The handle still opens the door. Thanks, Tom
  2. 6

tranny filter replacement

Before I open up the trans pan to change the filter on my 96 4.0l ex. could someone help me. There are two o rings in the kit where do they go ? I am sure I will see the location when I do the change but its better to know now than later. Cant afford to leave it in the driveway too long. Wife...
  3. 6

HELP! Dropped tool into engine!!

Maybe dropping the oil pan ? Some drain contractors have small optical cameras they use on drains. They dont charge too much. It may fit in the drain plug hole ??? Just a thought. Tom
  4. 6

"burping" the cooling system.

Thanks. I used the stock Ford T stat. It has a "valve" type thing which is to be at the 12:00 position. The dealer told me these can be diffcult to get air out of ??? It is still cycling or hunting. Regards.
  5. 6

airbag crash sensors

On my 1996 Ex where would I find the airbag crash sensors. I know they are at the front but where. Also can or should I replace them myself ? Are they just plug in units ? Can I clean them. The flashing code apparently indicates a fault in one of them. Dealer wants $90. to plug it in and...
  6. 6

Airbag light flashing.

Its flashing 4 then 5 blinks then it stays on. It cycles the 4 and 5, 3 times then stays on. Can anyone tell me what that means before the dealer charges me to plug it in ? Thanks.
  7. 6

Normally mine does to.
  8. 6

Airbag light flashing.

After my temperature guage problem, I have another problem. My airbag light flashes then stays on. Is this a code from the computer ? what could it be ?? Thanks.
  9. 6

My temperature guage problem continues. See my previous posts. I took it to the dealership due to the fact the temp guage is going up to normal and back to cool "cycling". They said it could be air in the system and that the are "buggers" to get the air out of. Has anyone heard of this and...
  10. 6

temperature cycling

Who makes the Jet T Stat ? Can you get them at NAPA ? Tom
  11. 6

temperature cycling

thanks I was wondering if the water pump could do this. Get any snow out there yet ? Tom
  12. 6

rear brakes.

Thanks. I feel better. I have a good dealer I can trust But never new about the parking brake "drum" situation.
  13. 6

rear brakes.

1996 4.0L 4x4 Ex. Do the rear brakes on these vehicles have a separate set of parking brake shoes or pads. The dealer is telling me they are rusted and seized ? I wasnt aware the parking brake has its own set of shoes or pads ? Thanks.
  14. 6

temperature cycling

Well now I'm stumped ! I have finished replacing the sending unit and its still "cycling" HELP ! Anyone out there with any other idea ? Ford tech's ? Thank you.
  15. 6

temperature cycling

It was $11.53 cdn. At my local dealer. For that price I thought I might as well change it ! Regards.
  16. 6

temperature cycling

I need more help please ! I have changed the rad cap, changed the T stat (made sure the air vent hole is up, and it still "cycles". I bought a temp sending unit but its too cold to put it on. Does anyone have anymore suggestions ?? Thanks.
  17. 6

T Stat replacement

Thanks. I ran out at lunch and switched around. Now the air seems to be in the upper rad hose ? Will running the engine and letting it warm up "burp" out the air ? Thanks.
  18. 6

Temp gauge moving up and down???

I have posted the same problem. My 96 xl is doing a very similar thing. I may know the problem but I am waiting for a repl;y from the forum. When you replaced the T stat did you make sure the air vent was at the top ? You may have trapped air (like mine).
  19. 6

T Stat replacement

I have been having a problem with my temp. guage. It cycles from normal to cool and back. I replaced the rad cap and the t stat. BUT, now I look in the book and it says keep the air hole to the top. (always good to check the book first). Is the air vent the area with the "cotter pin" type...
  20. 6

upper a arm replacement

Thanks. Do they have grease fittings on them ?
  21. 6

bad alternator bearing or tensioner pulley?

replace it Dude. It cost me $53. cdn for the tensioner $33. for the belt. AND a big favour from a good friend who came to save me a tow and bring me some tools.
  22. 6

bad alternator bearing or tensioner pulley?

Hey, I have returned to this forum because of some trouble I had. there was a minor squeak coming from under the hood of my 96 X. Its very cold out so I wasnt worried. Turned out I blew the tensioner are off and the belt follwed it !! I was towing my sled at the time and had to get off the...
  23. 6

temperature cycling

I replaced the rad cap and it is still doing it ???!!! Someone mentioned maybe there is trapped air ? How could I "burp" the system ?? Help. Thanks, Tom
  24. 6

upper a arm replacement

My X is stock. I have replaced the upper ball joints 2 times (159,000 kms). Now the dealer tells me they need doing again. (bump/bang at drivers foot). Are there after market A arms/ball joints for a 1996 4 dr 4.0L that have grease fittings ? Thanks for the help.
  25. 6

belt slipping off

Check to make sure nothing is loose and rubbing on it.
Back