Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. W

I need expert help for my bitter sweet XLT

Trouble shooting electrical Before you start trouble shooting the 4x4, make sure the alternator is working properly, and if not, replace it. If you are having a problem with the 4x4 system, you won't be able to troubleshoot it without a good battery and charging system. Remember, almost...
  2. W

Wierd sound

Listing Front suspension components most likely to make strange noises are: Front sway bar bushings/links Coil springs Strut cartridges And CV shafts for 4x4 All these you should be able to tell with a visual inspection. You will actually see what appears to be the links separating...
  3. W

Periodic Squeek coming from engine compartment

Just a shot in the dark here... Any way it could be dried up suspension components? Sway bar linkages are notorious for squeaking when worn out or dried out. Especially if you live where the salt the roads or near sand. Don't know anything about compressor squeaking. Sorry
  4. W

This one has me stumped

The lines pinched were a orange and black line running across the bottom of the fan. One is the main vacuum likne coming from the engine, the other is the vacuum control line running to heater hose vacuum control. It turns on and of the coolant going to the heater core, in theory. I had...
  5. W

This one has me stumped

After thought Interesting, just a after thought. My 04 xls had the fogging problem. Ended up being an obstructed vacuum line causing the vent door not to swing from defrost to vent. But, it's best to following the age old adage: "if in isn't broke, don't fix it."
  6. W

I need expert help for my bitter sweet XLT

Electrical prob? The only thing I can think of that would allow the truck to die like that after a button was pushed is a electrical short. Since it only happens when you push the 4x4 button it may be isolated to the 4x4 system. Not entirely sure, but it's at least a place to start. Before...
  7. W

I need to replace the spark plugs & wires on a 2002 Explorer XLS.

You've got it down pretty pat. I do agree with my1zamboni, go in from the fender wells. it'll make things easier. There are a couple of things you may want to change to save yourself possible grief when you get into the project. 1st: if you're not sure if you have the right tools, then...
  8. W

Left Front End Whinning

K.I.S.S. (Keep It Stupid Simple) Following the KISS rule here is a couple of things to check, they may be redundant as you may have already checked; Have you made sure you don't have any tire tub by jacking the vehicle up and taking the tire of on the problem side to see if there is any tire...
  9. W

Left Front End Whinning

2wheel drive or 4wheel drive/AWD?
  10. W

Problems starting 2002 Sport Trac 4x2

Discharge over time Before doing anything else you may want to get a second opinion and have the battery tested when it is not hooked up to the vehicle. I've found that a hand held load tester is probably the best bet for finding out if your battery has a bad cell. One way to see if your...
  11. W

Lower protective door trim removal

Yeah, even body shops don't remove them to repaint a vehicle. They just cover them in tape and paper.
  12. W

newbe mistake sorry, misread your post. Thought you were asking for interior panel. As far as I know the exterior plastic panel on the lower part of the door is help on by an extremely strong piece of 2-sided tape. Mind if I ask why you are removing it?
  13. W

retaining clips There should be plastic retaining clips that hold the panels in place. There are little brackets built into the back of the door panel to hold the clips. Here is a picture of the clips: http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/drm/45319/image/4/ It is...
  14. W

Check engine light with a code # P0174.

Checking for vacuum leaks I hope the elbow fixes the problem. Here are a couple of tips for finding vacuum leaks in case you need them for future reference. There are 2 methods that I normally use to check for vacuum leaks with tearing everything apart. The first is to use your ears to...
  15. W

One fix for rear window washer not working

Yeah, you'd think Ford would have put zip-ties or hose clamps on there from the factory. Oh well. At least it was an easy fix. Glad the thread helped.
  16. W

NP. I just hope it helps.
  17. W

Hello everyone. Thought I would contribute a little knowledge gained on my '04 XLS. Especially since someone else's thread helped me with a A/C problem. I didn't find another thread for this gen of Explorer so I figured I would go ahead and put it on here. Just purchased my Explorer and got...
  18. W

How to: Cold air in glove box -OR- No air flow from vents on Max AC - Here's a workaround

Thanks for the info Thanks for the extremely useful info! Helped to do a temp. fix on my '04 Explorer. I hope to return the gesture with some useful info of my own. :us:
Back