Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

gonna try my first tranny rebuild. Need pointers PLEASE

ok, I am gonna try and rebuild my 4r55e myself. How hard is it?? (lol) I have rebuilt motors and worked on cars and trucks all my life but I have never tried a transmission. Furthest I have gotten into a trans is changing the filter. I think I can do it if the book gives good instructions. What...
  2. T

what make and year will interchange with 96 explorer 4.0 4x4

what make and year will interchange with 96 explorer 4.0 4x4???
  3. T

Transmission goes in reverse but not drive???

How had is it to rebuild a trans? I have rebuilt a couple motors and and have worked on countless cars and trucks but never messed with a trans. I was thinking about rebuilding this one if there is something internal wrong with it.
  4. T

will do thanks for all the info! I got to order a gauge to test it with before I can do anything. I called auto zone and O'rilies and they don't have a trans or oil pressure gauge. That is the only part stores around here so I guess that I gotta order one. I will post the results as soon as I...
  5. T

pressure being low makes allot of scence with the way it is acting. it went out all at once there was no time there of slipping or anything. stopped at a stop sigh and boom no more gears. That's what tells me that there is something else wrong then the bands or something like that.
  6. T

I read the sticky on testing pressure but it does not tell what the pressure should be??
  7. T

Thank you, I have checked the fluid, dropped the pan and changed the screen (filter). the pan seemed clean (not many shavings or anything). The fluid that was in it before I changed it smelled burnt. I didn't know if maybe the bands where burnt up or the trans was shot.
  8. T

I have a 98 xlt 4.0 4wd. The trans will not shift into the forward gears. It goes into reverse fine but when you put it in drive you get nothing. when you drop it into first you can rev it up and it will move but it don't go all the way in gear. I changed the filter and put new fluid in it and...
Back