Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D Hook

2008 Explorer XLT - driver side creaking rattle metal noise when driving and turning wheel

Sway bar links are a good idea. Replaced those about 10 years ago I think so they may be due.
  2. D Hook

2008 Explorer XLT - driver side creaking rattle metal noise when driving and turning wheel

My '06 is doing the same thing. Just started about a month or two ago.
  3. D Hook

2006 4.6 V8 overheating in winter only

Following this.
  4. D Hook

Wire a resistor to headlight

Speaking of LED's not heating up enough, the city, a few years ago, went through and replaced all the stop lights with LEDs to save time and money of replacement costs. Now, when we get heavy blowing snow, the lens fill up with snow and you can't see the lights as well, if at all. So now...
  5. D Hook

Frozen ignition lock--Winter warning

Never imagined this could happen but it did. During our -20 degree days here recently, I went out to warm up the Explorer. Scraping snow off the car, I dropped my keys into the snow. Almost couldn't find them in the snow drift. Finally found them, brushed the snow off and started the car...
  6. D Hook

Overdrive Selector missing

My wifes expedition had a similar switch also.
  7. D Hook

I think 94 Eddie may be right about availability. I did some quick searches on Dorman, Ebay and Amazon and couldn't find a new replacement for the 4th gen explorer. Your best bet will be a salvage yard. I looked at the Flex shifter I have here and compared it to the explorer switch. The...
  8. D Hook

Had the same issue when I bought my '06. Found the little button on the floor next to the console, sort of tucked along the seat rail. I thought it was broken off the switch but realized I could just push it back on to the switch face and it clicked into place. This was AFTER I bought a...
  9. D Hook

Cancel auto window close

I've done some searching and so far haven't found that option. Anyone else heard of this? If so, is there a way to activate it?
  10. D Hook

Cancel auto window close

Me neither. I'd love to have that option!
  11. D Hook

2009 Ford Explorer 4.6 latest PCM and TCM calibrations

Thanks Eddie! That's the part I was trying to think of. The place I went to recommended that be changed so I had them do it. They said it's something most shops miss.
  12. D Hook

2009 Ford Explorer 4.6 latest PCM and TCM calibrations

Most of the horror stories I've heard about is when they do a flush on the transmission. Just dropping the pan and replacing the lost fluid usually doesn't present problems. Good time to check the filter and the pan seal. You might want to seek out a transmission shop with experience with...
  13. D Hook

So much diag and parts replacement - still overheating

Cleaning between the A/C condensor and the radiator. He thought maybe there's an accumulation of stuff between the two. It's difficult to get the fins really cleaned well because the two are so close together. So not remove the radiator, just to loosen the radiator and give more space to get...
  14. D Hook

So much diag and parts replacement - still overheating

I've had the exact same problem; no A/C, no problem; turn on A/C get overheated. Happens on highway driving and city streets, exactly as you described. Took it to my regular mechanic and he recommends loosening the radiator to get in between the radiator and condensor to really get a good...
  15. D Hook

4.0L Coolant Temp Spiking with A/C

I have a similar problem so I'll be watching this thread closely. Good luck!
  16. D Hook

5th gen keys on 4th gen explorer and numpad keyless entry addition

You really can't compare the two. The Walmart machine will only cut the keys that are in their inventory. They can cut you a key that will open the door but not start the car because it doesn't have a chip. They won't sell you a chipped key without doing the programming. And the chipped keys...
  17. D Hook

Overheating/Roaring Fan

Question: Does the lower PSI cap make a difference when burping the radiator? I had a 16psi cap installed, then had the water pump changed and I don't think the shop burped the system correctly. A few months ago I jacked up the front end and let it run for 30 minutes but no change in the fan...
  18. D Hook

I tried Ace Hardware first. They wanted almost $200 to make the key and program it. I already had two programmed keys but the plastic hoop on one key broke off so couldn't keep it on my key ring. Just needed to have it cut. They refused to just cut the key without doing the programming. I...
  19. D Hook

Same here. Bought some blanks off Ebay and took them to a locksmith to cut a copy from my original. $10. Programmed them myself
  20. D Hook

Intermittent no start , no crank, no click

Had this same condition about a year ago. Turned out to be the starter was rusted so bad it wouldn't work. (Road salt.) New starter, all is well.
  21. D Hook

Drive through carwash and the dreaded auto 4x4

The car washes I've used don't actually carry the weight of the vehicle. They have rollers that push the vehicle along.
  22. D Hook

Yet another "what's this sound" post

To the OP, which engine do you have?
  23. D Hook

Strange "whale moaning" type noise from driver's rear area.

When you fill the tank do you quit when the auto shutoff kicks in? People have had trouble with their evap system by trying to get every last ounce of fuel into the tank, causing it to overflow and put raw gas where it shouldn't be. The sound could be emanating from the passenger side but...
  24. D Hook

2006 XLT lift gate won't open

I had the same problem on my 06 and thought something broke inside. Turned out the protective mat I had in the back had gotten jammed in the tailgate and would not allow it to open. Found this our AFTER taking everything apart. Had the same loss of tension in the handle you're describing...
Back