Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. A

300,000!

God bless and good luck. I've owned vehicles with 500K + miles but none of them was an Explorer. My '00 is currently at 225K and I'll be very proud if we get to 300K together. Thanks for sharing.
  2. A

How much pressure do my tires need, please

My sticker says 26 on a '00 with 15" which simply MUST be wrong...I currently have the (non-OEM) tires at 32 and it feels pretty good...
  3. A

Cattle Guard question

AFAIK, the front end dimensions are the same.
  4. A

4.0 gas mileage

A lot of it has to do with how you drive and where you drive... I used to get anywhere between 17-19MPG average with a slipping clutch and horrendous tires...I expect to do a lot better with a rebuilt trans, new clutch and tires. Lot of over-the-hills driving and quite a bit of highway in...
  5. A

4.0 gas mileage

I certainly do remember it...never knew about the low air pressure part of the equation, though... So it would be safe to bump up my new Michelins (LTX MS 235/75/15) all the way to 35? I haven't even installed them yet... TIA
  6. A

Explorer for Parts?

Some stuff will and some won't, but they're both 2nd generation vehicles so you should be able to use quite a few things. What exactly are you looking for that the other EX could possibly "donate"?
  7. A

4.0 gas mileage

At the risk of sounding stupid (not the first time, but I'm new to Exploreres...LOL) why does the driver's door side plate say 26 PSI - at least it does on my vehicle...I always found this strange...:scratch:
  8. A

4.0 gas mileage

I've just read through the entire (more or less) hundred pages of his thread on achieving the 30 MPG goal ...may he rest in peace, that man knew what he was doing and he was one determined individual... SOHC and 2WD were the key, which makes sense. Unfortunately, my vehicle has none of that...
  9. A

98 Eddie Bauer Explorer Sport

If it were me, I wouldn't go for 30 days parts & labour warranty, not for $1300...they'd have to give more than that. My guess would be that the dealership will state that you need an engine rebuild at the tune of $7,500...or something like that...:D ...without telling you the stuff that you...
  10. A

A known good source for 5-speed manual trans?

The trans itself has quite a bit of damage...long story...
  11. A

Whats your Explorer worth?

It really depends on vehicle's condition, and the urgency that prompts the sale... My guess - if the car is pretty and doesn't have to be sold yesterday - would be $2,500-3,000 depending on quite a few other things... Good luck.
  12. A

There's no way I can rebuild it by myself, and having someone else do it will end up being a costly venture...that's why I'm looking for a "known good" source for a trans...
  13. A

Possibly buying a 2nd gen. What to look for?

Rust. Rust. Rust. Did I mention rust? Listen to the trans. Abuse it well while testing the vehicle. Push it through all the modes like it were your enemy. If you're after 5.0 engine I really have no insight to offer - these are supposed to be the most reliable ones - but usual check...
  14. A

Long story short, my '00 XLS 4x4 needs a new manual trans. Any recommendations on a known good source - as well as on the pricing of these units - would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  15. A

How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX?

225K and change on my '00...I've only had it for about six months now, runs well, will need a few things (rear brakes, clutch, tires) sometime soon, but so far so good - knock wood - no warning lights, error codes or major rust... Keeping my fingers crossed...
  16. A

Do you wear a seatbelt?

I've got to give it to you, some excellent points made in this post, and if read carefully, it gives just about every answer one needs for a particular situation... God bless and good luck.
  17. A

Is an Explorer a truck?

A tough call... Where I grew up, a "truck" would be something like that Tatra shown in one of the previous posts, what Brits would call a "lorry"...had a license to drive one of those back in the days, so couldn't really throw my Explorer in the same bucket, so to speak... Having said...
  18. A

Good deal or No?

I'm far from being an Explorer guru, but I'd go take a look and test drive it. If my gut told me that it could become my new best friend, I'd throw them an offer... Good luck.
  19. A

Do you wear a seatbelt?

I always wear a seatbelt. Have been doing that for decades now. Last September I was involved in an accident where my work van ('00 RAM) was hit behind the rear RH wheel and rolled over twice. I walked out with minor injuries, no broken bones etc...the van was totaled, as was the W124 Benz that...
Back