Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. L

Turbo Explorer????????

I agree with James T. Almost all factory blower systems are running at single digit pounds of boost, because at that pressure is a compromise of driveability and performance gain. People who destroy pistons are using too much boost for their engine. Phoenix is right, you must be aware of what...
  2. L

Turbo Explorer????????

See, here's the deal. Turbo = too hot for the little 4.0 that was not designed for that sort of presure or heat. I drove a Cayanne turbo today. It could take it. Our X's cannot. I looked at msn autos and compared the reported milages of X's across time. My 92 4.0 5 speed gets 1mpg more...
  3. L

Replacing first gen seats

I have often thought of getting the jeep seats myself, but the adapter problem was something I could never solve. I would see if you could just strip the tracks off your EX seats and maybe just fab up something and sink it on with self tapping screws. I am deffinately interested in how your...
  4. L

Problems with unlocking driver door

Ok so my drive door lock has the not popping up problem as well. Worse in cold weather but none too good. Keyless entry doesnt help. Are you gentelmen telling me there is some confounded little spring deal in there that i have to mess with and or replace and not just get a new actuator? I...
  5. L

is my fuel pump going bad?

Hey holty...did you get that problem figured out? These guys are right...change the fuel filter and the FPR first...they are both really cheap and easy to do in comparison to pulling the tank. You can do both of those in the same day for half the cost of the pump. FPR is really easy as long...
  6. L

Drivers-side window

Short answer: get a new motor, unless you feel like taking the motor assembly apart and changing the gear, if it is to blame. Long answer (feel free to skip) I have replaced 2 of my front window motors, and both of my back gears are stripped and currently held up by fence boards cut to...
  7. L

Manual transmission additives

I thought about the viscosity problem, but I live in 9 months of 100 degree weather, and you are in the reverse, more or less. So far the Mobil 1 I have in there is working fine, not that we will be able to tell until it gets pulled. Now that you mention it I do recall the friction modifier...
  8. L

What replacement seats for my X

Excellent...thanks. Now I just have to find some down here.
  9. L

Gen II Snorkel Install Pix

Sorry I wasn't specific. I meant the other side of the fender sheet metal. And I know what it is for, but I want to know how it does it. For instance how do you seal it and make sure you dont have a leak between it and your airbox. Also it would be nice to know about any effects on mpg...
  10. L

Is it okay to drive w/o a muffler

I had mufflers on my 79 ramcharger, but the pipes went straight down after that, right under the cab. I got so woozy the first time I drove it, without realizing it, that I nearly swerved off the highway at 65mph. Now granted, that was in winter with the windows up and a heavily overcarbed v8...
  11. L

Fuel Reset Button

Hey Dynamite did it try to turn over the first time like it was running out of gas? Every time you change your fuel filter, FPR or something like that, you are supposed to hit the fuel switch (intertia switch). Right after to hit that, when you try to turn it over it will start and then it...
  12. L

Vehicle Won't Start

If you get really hacked off, you can try jumping some current straight to the solenoid, but thats probably not a good idea. I say take the battery out, hook some jumpers straight to your battery leads, and see if it doesnt turn over then. Though, a new battery should have fixed that. The...
  13. L

How to determine if battery is bad???

If it doesnt start, or barely starts, once you get a jump, take the negative cable off the battery. If it dies, then its the alternator (since it was running on the battery). If it doesnt, then its the battery. Or am I backwards? I think someone told me this once long ago, but time...
  14. L

All 4 windows down with 1 button?

Has anyone made any progess on this front lately? I would totally do my front two windows as the unit up/down thing. Rear ones need new gears, so thats sorta a waste. Now while we are talkin about fancy imports, technically, if you had all of your windows on one button, and you had an...
  15. L

Custom Intake Write Up

Mighty fine project you made there IPO. Both the intake and the write up. Anybody made one of these for a gen 1? I am curious about the lines that run out of the factory box. I have seen most people who just put a KKM plug one or the other up, but I dont remember which, and it would make me...
  16. L

Exhaust outlet pipe size for V6?

I had to replace my entire exhaust system a few years ago, due to the road conditions of San Antonio. I went up to 2.5" from the collector back, with a single magnaflow. It isn't too loud, and I can still tow things nicely, though I have a 5 speed. I made him put my old tail pipe on, right...
  17. L

What replacement seats for my X

Hey guys I heard that the gen 3 stuff is a bolt in to gen 1...since at least one of yall did that, can you confirm or deny? I know the elctronics wont all work out, but I dont care..my seats have a lot of miles on them with my fat arse in them and they are really not so much comfy. Lumbar...
  18. L

Gen II Snorkel Install Pix

Hey ya'll that looks mighty fine, but how does it hook to the airbox on the other side? It looks beautiful, but I'd like to know more of the function. I was wanting to do one on my dodge...the explorer is 2wd, and I just have to accept that and move on.
  19. L

need advice (brake problems)

Yeah that sounds like a load. I left my dodge sitting for 6 years and it rusted up a little bit, but the calipers just needed a bit of use, and I had to bleed the whole thing again because the old rubber leeched moisture and air for that entire time. Disc brakes are the easiest. I did my...
  20. L

100,000 Mile Club

I'm not gonna get excited till I hit 250k, which won't be a for a while. No more college = no more college trips. I got a lot of hard miles and great memories out of this rolling catastrophe so far, but it looks like it will keep moving for a while. I probably ought to gie it a break and stop...
  21. L

Manual transmission additives

I just changed all the fluid in my 92 about 3k ago. I asked my guy what came out of everything, and he said that everything looked fine. However, I decided to change to synthetic tranny and diff fluid. Search this site and you will find myriad opinions on this, but one thing comes up pretty...
  22. L

1st gen Explorer good for towing?

I know next to nothing about towing but I slapped a ton of extra weight behind my 92 and pulled it 300 miles at 65 and had no problems. I will say my 5 speed and my sweet upgraded front brakes really made it easier though. But as far as physically being able to pull things...I'd agree with...
  23. L

lifters tapping badly

Are you guys sure thats what his noise problem is? My 92 has 216k and I only get top end clackety clack when there isn't enough oil (complements of blown rear main). I've also heard that it can just be a matter of bad oil filter (too restrictive = not enough oil flow to the top end?) At...
  24. L

Who's been verbally assaulted by Land Rover owners?

A simple equation I learned about Land Rovers: Front Brake Job = $600. Not to be too partisan; the new disco has an automatic hill descent thing that uses the braking system to ease it down slopes. Funny thing about it: it does it when your foot isnt on the break. I had a hard time...
  25. L

17" Cobra R's on 02+ 4 door question

I heard of the Big Dig, but I would have to say San Antonio has to be pretty bad, since they just never fix anything and there is no drainiage. Potholes have to be huge to get filled, but the next rain washes out the filler. Brilliant. I wanted to go to 17s on my 92 but bending was never a...
Back