Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. C

94 Explorer no start, no spark randomly

Got a Ex I'm working on to give to a friends son. I drove it to the store the other day and it wouldn't start after getting back outside the first time it cranked over but fired up on the second attempt. Drove to the auto parts house and when I came back out it wouldn't start, it would turn over...
  2. C

Transmission troubles 1994

I'm not sure how many of those miles are on that transmission. It had probably 270k miles on the odometer when it was purchased. May have to see if I can rebuild it, not sure what that'd cost me though. Any thoughts on prices?
  3. C

Transmission troubles 1994

I've got a 94 Explorer 4x4 with about 312k miles on her that I seem to be having trouble with the transmission. It started acting up a few years back, when you first started driving it it would not want to shift out of 1st or 2nd gear. It would rev up pretty high but you could drop it out of...
  4. C

94 Eats inside of tires. What could be worn out?

The oil pan leaks, the transmission pan I think lightly leaks(my fault for over tightening the bolts I think), the rear main seal is the worst leak I believe though. Its bad enough that if I drive it I won't park it in someones driveway because it'll have an oil spot on their drive. The coolant...
  5. C

Yeah, those are the shift kits I had saw a few years back when looking up the a4ld transmission. I wish I would of bought one and installed it last time I had pulled the pan and changed the fluid, also wish I'd of installed a drain plug on it. What are your thoughts on changing the seals? Not...
  6. C

I've been worried about the tranny for over a year though, it had some issues. The shifting goes ballistic at times and jumps out of over drive gear and into the next one revving the engine way up at highway speeds. It hasn't done this in quite a few months though, not sure if that is a shift...
  7. C

The shock mount I've talking about is the bottom of this http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/686/dscn0431bc0.jpg Where it connects into the radius arm it has wore a hole slightly so the tapered end of the shock bolt isn't snug in there now. Oh yes and I've had to replace the lower intake manifold...
  8. C

What's usually the mileage these trucks will run? I'm kind of at the point of wondering if I should buy a backup car or buy new tires after trying to fix the alignment. We've had it since it had about 220k I think. I've replaced the evaporator, radiator, battery, radius arm bushings, fuel pump...
  9. C

Another thing I've noted is the front left shock mount on the frame don't seem to hold the shock, when I started driving it I think there was no nut on the bolt so I bought a replacement and put it in but it now seems as if its loose and as worn the bolt hole. I was concerned as to if there was...
  10. C

Well after about 3 years of rotating my tires my tires are almost to the point of no help. The tires have been wearing badly on the inside edges. What all could be affecting the alignment? I've replaced one of the ball joints as it was sloppy, replaced both radius arm bushings with Moog...
  11. C

A/C Comp Frozen and Smoking

+1 Refrigerant is heavier than air, get it in your lungs and it takes the space of the air you breathe and you can suffocate.
  12. C

My Explorer rolled over 200,000 miles!

I'm sitting in my 94 right now and it has 304,363 and it is paid off, it might only average 16 to 18 mpg but I don't have to pay for full coverage insurance plus have those car payments.
  13. C

A4LD doesn't like to shift out of gears

Oh, I know its an easy fix, I replaced it about 2 years ago. From reading in the A4LD stickies it appears it is more of a gummed up governor issue. BrooklynBay posted about it http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1728372&postcount=12
  14. C

The CEL is on due to the DPFE failure.
  15. C

My 94 don't have a OD light, the CEL code is only for the (little metal rectangular box that it runs the exhaust gas through under the hood) can't think of the name of it. No, I don't believe it is a shift flare, it just seems as if something is not telling it to shift properly.
  16. C

I adjusted them to spec about 2 years ago. Is that the only thing that would make it act up? After it warms up it usually does fine, after it warms up the only one that will act up at times is the OD.
  17. C

I've got a 94 Explorer 4x4 Auto with 300k miles on her. Over the last 6 months to a year the transmission has started acting up. I can start it up and start driving and from a cold start a lot of the times it don't want to shift out of 1st gear, it'll rev to 4k or 5k before it wants to change...
  18. C

A4LD acting up and something smells

I went to work and on the drive home my explorer wasn't acting right. Going down the highway the truck wasn't shifting correctly, it was reving at about 3k rpm at 70-75mph. I got home and I usually drop it in 4 low(even though the front hubs don't lock) so I can use the granny gear to get into...
  19. C

Death wobble fix help

Both options sound like fun...had a fun time grinding the rivets for the radius arm brackets.
  20. C

Death wobble fix help

I know there is something making a clunking sound in the front end if I have to really get on the brakes or if I have to drive over a speed bump, so I'm wondering if that's what that is.
  21. C

Death wobble fix help

I replaced the bearings about a year ago, repacked the ones I could get to easily just a couple of months ago when I pulled the rotors off and replaced a sloppy tie rod. I think I can just carefully tap them out with a screwdriver from the opposite side correct? That's the PITA bushing in the...
  22. C

Death wobble fix help

I just tested the e-brake a time or two and noticed it didn't shake, I don't use it constantly. I'm probably exaggerating a little but I use it as a work truck and all my tools and metal poles get to shaking around and drive me insane. None of the tire places have said anything about any of...
  23. C

Death wobble fix help

I'm hoping someone can help me with my wobble of death. I've had an alignment, replaced a sloppy tie rod, replaced all front wheel bearings, and had all 4 wheels force balanced. The truck drives well for the biggest part except once it hits about 65mph and it shakes like a small washing...
  24. C

Uneven inside uneven tire wear

Is there a how to on this? Would of been nice not to of paid $70 for a couple of turns of the tie rod end. I'm guessing I have the death wobble as it shakes like something else at about 65mph.
  25. C

Uneven inside uneven tire wear

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/856/001yvfx.jpg/ Can someone with some knowledge of alignments look at this and tell me how bad my alignment was? Looks like all they did was loosen the right tie rod end up and turned it a time or two and put it back together.
Back