Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. DeadlySteve

Smoke on startup, oil on threads & ash buildup on left 3 spark plugs, using oil Help!

Damn... Yeah, it did overheat last year unfortunately. Going down the highway and started blowing antifreeze everywhere. Engine went over into the red. When I've poked around on the net though, most people seem to say that blue smoke at start up and oil consumption is probably bad valve seals...
  2. DeadlySteve

Smoke on startup, oil on threads & ash buildup on left 3 spark plugs, using oil Help!

Hello all, My 1994 explorer has started running rougher and rougher and using more oil. When I first start it, it cranks for longer than usual and there will be a puff of blue smoke (It then doesn't smoke at all). It uses about a quart of oil every 1000ish miles. I just changed the...
  3. DeadlySteve

Parting my 1992 X. Yes.....the White one...

AHMAHGAWD! Spd... Today is a sad day. That's my favorite explorer on this site!
  4. DeadlySteve

Thumping in the front under feet when in 4wd - 1994 explorer

Dammit FR... with all this stuff breaking, its almost like I'm driving a 20 year old vehicle! Thanks for the help again. P.S. You have the one color of limited explorer that I never had. I have the teal and the white versions. I'll complete my set someday!!
  5. DeadlySteve

Hello again FR! Yes, it is a limited with the automatic hubs.
  6. DeadlySteve

So the past two times I've used 4wd on my explorer, I'll get a thump right under my feet every say 30-45 seconds or so when I'm driving at more than 20mph or so. Its not a thump thump thump or anything like that. My truck will just be driving along. Then I'll feel like someone kicked the...
  7. DeadlySteve

Brakes worked fine for months then suddenly spongy. Only fronts work? No leaks. Help!

I read in another couple of threads that if you think you have air in your ABS, you can lock up your tires and engage the ABS a few times on a gravel road. That'll get the air out of the ABS unit and into your lines. Then you can just re-bleed your lines. People seemed to think that did indeed...
  8. DeadlySteve

Brakes worked fine for months then suddenly spongy. Only fronts work? No leaks. Help!

Update! Today I bled the brakes and oh my god! The brake fluid that came out was completely BLACK and it would take 7-10 full pedal presses at each wheel to get anything but air to come out. I pumped a good 36 oz. of brake fluid through the system. Probably close to a year ago I was supposed...
  9. DeadlySteve

Well, I just finished swapping out the new master cylinder. The old one was not leaking in the back. I haven't bled the brakes yet (I did bench bleed the MS first), however I drove it down the street and its EXACTLY how it was with the old master cylinder. I know there will be a bit of air in...
  10. DeadlySteve

Thanks for the update. For whatever reason, do you think it could also be a brake booster problem?
  11. DeadlySteve

Thank you for the FAST reply FR! Besides bleeding the master cylinder before installing it, is there any tips you'd have for someone who hasn't replaced one specifically before?
  12. DeadlySteve

Hello all! I have a 1994 limited. A couple months ago I had my front and rear brakes changed out in the middle of a 1000 mile trip. Everything worked fine there and on the way back. No problems. A week ago my pedal started going almost to the floor (as if I were bleeding the brakes)...
  13. DeadlySteve

1994 explorer limited - which servo pistons to get?

Hello! I'm replacing both of the servo pistons in my 1994 explorer limited. It apparently has gone without a heat shield for a LONG time (which i just picked up at a junk yard) and the servos are toast. There are quite a few servo pistons on http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com I'm not...
  14. DeadlySteve

Does anyone still make a gen 1 SOL adapter?

Hello all! I'm just curious if anyone still makes a SOL adapter for a gen 1 explorer (maybe its the same for 91-01 or whatever). I DO understand its cheaper to just weld new perches. I'm just curious about the adapters. Perhaps if I ever wanted to put it back the way it was without...
  15. DeadlySteve

2d vs 4d explorer transmission differences?

Thank you guys for the great info as usual!
  16. DeadlySteve

2d vs 4d explorer transmission differences?

Hello! I'm planning a swap in my 4d explorer from auto to manual. Just to make sure I'm not forgetting anything: I found a manual explorer for next to nothing. Its 2d & 2wd. My explorer is 4d & 4wd. Am I going to run into any issues or missing parts using that truck as a donor...
  17. DeadlySteve

auto to manual questions

I replaced the auto trans in my 94 on a gravel driveway. Going to be doing a manual swap myself this summer. 1. Throw down cardboard for you to lay on. 2. lay down some wood 2x6's as a track for your jack. 3. lol at your jack track. The jack slid back and forward just fine on em.
  18. DeadlySteve

For Sale Parting Out 97 Explorer Limited V8 + Extras!!

How much for the reeses in the drivers door? ...maybe I should go eat something. >_>
  19. DeadlySteve

For Sale Some Stuff for sale

I just wanted to follow up to say that this guy is top notch. He shipped my item very fast and it was packed really well. The console was in better condition than I thought. I'm very happy! Thank you Rokr!!
  20. DeadlySteve

Brush guard for 1994 Limited

Is it that crazy lookin' thing on the first page? If so... no. lol But if it's something normal looking, I'd like to see some pics for sure! Thank you!
  21. DeadlySteve

PM sent ^_^
  22. DeadlySteve

I completely understand. He was first. But I'm definitely still interested for sure. ^_^
  23. DeadlySteve

I'm very interested in the center console. Shipping costs to 51501
  24. DeadlySteve

94 explorer A4LD RPM jump between 2nd and 3rd

Thank you for your awesome reply Wood! Most of those potential fixes don't seem very hard at all. Looks like I've got some work to do. I'll come back on here with what I find! ^_^
  25. DeadlySteve

94 explorer A4LD RPM jump between 2nd and 3rd

Hello Everyone! I want to preface this by saying I understand that a used A4LD transmission is a failure surrounded by a nightmare wrapped in a leaky box filled with problems. I have a 94 explorer (with 142k miles) that I purchased for next to nothing with a lot of problems. 1 week after...
Back