Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. firefly1246

V8 vs V6: which lasts longer

So my church does an event a couple times a year where we change oil for free for Single Moms. The majority of these vehicles have had a hard life and Maint is only performed if something is broken. This last time we did 87 vehicles mostly old Honda’s and Toyota’s, but we had 8 Explorers, most...
  2. firefly1246

High Mileage Sport Trac 250K and counting

Hey all, Thought I would start a thread to show what maintenance has been needed on my 2003 Explorer Sport Trac XLT 2WD, now that i have owned it over 3 years. This truck is now my primary daily driver now that my 2004 Explorer EB has been totaled by someone pulling out in front of me and my...
  3. firefly1246

Common Failures North of 250k miles

Hey guys, My 2003 Sport Trac is at 245k and its first set of timing chains guides failed and fortunately I cought it extremely early due to this forum teaching me the tell tale signs of it. My front guide with the spring cracked and wedged itself between the chain and kept tension but sounded...
  4. firefly1246

Aftermarket Tune to fix v8 gas pedal

Hello: Got a 2004 v8 with the dreaded throttle by wire gas pedal. I have dealt with it for 5 years and even had the ford dealer look at and wanted them to updated it to the latest programming. They confirmed I had the latest programming and that the condition I have is normal which as we all...
  5. firefly1246

Dual Zone A/C randomly stops being ice cold

Got a 2004 Eddie Bauer with the dual zone climate control. 9 months ago I put a new compressor in it (clutch was bad) and pulled a vaccum which showed zero leaks (yeah!) and put in the proper amount of refrigerant. A/C had been working great since then. However, last few weeks the A/C will work...
  6. firefly1246

?? 2.0 Front/1.5" Rear ebay lift, Quoted Lift vs Spacer Thickness

I purchased some new shocks and wanted to give a little more attitude with a mild lift kit. I want to do a smaller lift because I don't want to stress the CV axles and don't want to need Control Arms. FYI: I don't want to open another project and do a body kit on it. So, I purchased the...
  7. firefly1246

Painting Bumper Trim? Krylon Fusion Paint tougher to find

I had been planning on painting my bumpers and side trim black with Krylon Fusion Satin Black. 6 months ago the paint was available nearly anywhere spray paint was sold. This weekend I finally had the time, weather perfect, etc to knock out the project. Wal Mart, Lowes, and Home Depot no longer...
  8. firefly1246

v8 A/C Compressor, what is easiest way to remove it??

Hey Guys, So it is super hot (in the 90s in SC) and I need to replace the air conditioning compressor on my v8 4x4 '04 Explorer. Can anybody offer any advice on the easiest way to remove the compressor? It doesn't appear going through the top is an option, and it looks really tough to go...
  9. firefly1246

Spoet Trac on the Rubicon Trail

So just watched the new Top Grear American version last night and they did an excursion through the Rubicon Trail to map the trail for Google Maps. This got me thinking: 1) who has gone on the rubicon trail in a 2nd gen explorer or Sport Trac and 2) what set up should one have prior to...
  10. firefly1246

Rancho RS5000 Shocks? Anyone install some?

Hey I need to replace the shocks on my 2004 Explorer 140K. Anyone recommend any replacement shocks? I am considering either OEM or Ranchos. I put Ranchos on my Sport Trac and really like them. On the 2nd gen and Sport Trac Forum the Ranchos seem to be the ones everyone buys. But I have found...
  11. firefly1246

Where do you store your sunglasses?

So after having driving my Sport Trac for a few weeks, I have a delima of where to store my Sunglasses. I have tried putting my sunglasses in the garage door opener pocket in the overhead console, but they don't quite fit. They have to be jammed in the garage door holder and I am afraid of...
  12. firefly1246

Just got 2003 Explorer Sport Trac, What should I do??

Hello everyone, The Good: I just got my father-n-laws 2003 explorer sport trac XLT 4x2 230k. It is red with the 2 tone black/gray interior. It was garage kept, with mostly highway miles, and meticulously maintained. It is a southern car its entire life and zero rust (underside is practically...
  13. firefly1246

5R55E transmission differences 97-01 version vs 01-05

I need to replace the transmission in my father n laws 2003 2WD Sport Trac. It has the 5R55E transmission. I have found many 97-01 explorer 4.0 SHC with 5R55E in 2WD in my local junkyard. I have seen that there are 2 different versions, one that was made from 97-01 and then they must have...
  14. firefly1246

5R55E Transmission 97-01 version vs 01-05

I need to replace the transmission in my father n laws 2003 2WD Sport Trac. It has the 5R55E transmission. I have found many 97-01 explorer 4.0 SHC with 5R55E in 2WD in my local junkyard. I have seen that there are 2 different versions, one that was made from 97-01 and then they must have...
  15. firefly1246

Binding/Grinding Noise from Rear when Turning slow

So first off, I have done a ton of research trying to pinpoint my problem. I know there are a high amount bearing problems and differential problems with this model. I have a 04 explorer v8 4x4 with the towing package and limited slip 3.73 gears and 117k miles. I am getting two different...
  16. firefly1246

Explorer to Aviator front brake upgrade

Has anyone upgraded the front brakes on your explorer to the 13" rotors and slightly larger calipers from an aviator? I am about to do my front brakes and it looks like it should be bolt in as long as there are 17" or larger diameter wheels. The advantage would be going from a 12.07" to a 13"...
  17. firefly1246

Speaker Dies then returns and static occurs

Hey Guys! My passenger front speaker would die and then if I cranked up the volume up it would come back on. It randomly did this for the past 3 months. Now, I hear varying levels of static from this speaker (ie it will sound good for a minute then static for a minute). Does anyone know if...
  18. firefly1246

MSD Blaster 2 Coil Packs

Does anyone have any experience with the MSD Blaster 2 Coil Packs for the 4.6. Was reading this article http://www.truckinweb.com/tech/engine/1002tr_msd_blaster_2_coil_on_plug_coils/index.html and it got me curious, as I am wanting to replace my spark plugs soon.
  19. firefly1246

Cruise Control Problem, 04 EB not same as others

After looking and reading every post on cruise control problems. I am still unable to fix my problem. When pressing the On button nothing happens, no light comes on. I have no codes when I use my scan tool (which if the pressure switch is broken will throw an abs code but not a check engine...
Back