Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. K

5R55E valve body.

Anybody interested in a reconditioned 5R55E valve body imported from the USA?
  2. K

My Explorer for sale.

Reconditioned gearbox with uprated valve body. Reconditioned Transfer case with mods and new shift motor. New LSD rear axle clutches and new wheel bearings. Brand new Motorcraft rear air shocks. Brand new Motorcraft original spec spark plugs. Recent new exhaust. Brand new battery. Extra...
  3. K

Shackles

I've had a couple of members ask if I will make some more shackles. I just wondered if anyone else would like any so I know how much steel to order. Standard size shackles will be £60 and 2" rise ones [ with ARC bracket ] will be £65 [ £17 of which is postage ]. I will try and source the bolts...
  4. K

Spare parts

So, iv'e just rebuilt my rear diff, transfer case, and reconditioned the gearbox. I've got spare transmission cases, a good used gearbox, minus valve body, transfer case halves with all internals available. All parts need to go to clear garage out. Two rear air shocks, extension housing...
  5. K

Rear axle; in/out play.

When jacked up, I could move the rear wheels in and out of the axle. 2mm on the left and 3mm on the right. So I got a LSD clutch pack kit from ROCKAUTO and fitted it. Not too hard a job. The result is a tiny bit of play on the left and about half a mm on the right. The real benefit is a...
  6. K

Steering wheel play

Can anyone tell me how much steering wheel play they have? Mine has about an inch, at the rim of the steering wheel. I am on my third steering rack to try and solve it!!!!! There is absolutly no play in the column right down to the rack. I've had a couple of the racks to pieces and the play...
  7. K

Engine for sale

4.0 sohc engine for sale. It has done 89000 miles with Ford history to 69000. I bought it as a complete engine/gearbox/transfer box delivered in one piece. Previous owner says it was smooth and powerful. It is bone dry, and comes with all ancilleries.[ steering pump, alternator, exhaust...
  8. K

Transfer case.

My 1997 4.0 sohc 4wd is having a few problems. When i used to select 4hi or low, i could hear a mechanical thunk from the transfer case. There is now no noise when i do it, but it does go into 4 low but not 4 hi. I have removed the motor and it turns when activated. Its as if the motor is...
  9. K

5R55E solenoid bracket

I'm trying to sort out a problem with my 5R55E on a 97 Ex. Can someone explain how the solenoid bracket can break near the TCC solenoid, when the solenoid has its own fixing bracket? I've seen pictures of the bracket broken in this location and don't see how its possible.
  10. K

Anti knock sensor

Can anyone confirm that their UK spec Explorer has an anti knock sensor fitted? Mine dosn't seem to have one!!!! I've looked with a borescope at the location where it should be, and I just can't see it. The wiring connector isn't there on mine. It should be on the bracket next to the fuel...
  11. K

Later style seats

Hi Guys, I'm looking at a set of later style seats on ebay. My Explorer is an early 97' and the seats in the later models look more 'plush'. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had the chance to compare the different 'feel' of the seats. Thanks Kev.
  12. K

Steering shaft gaitor

Just thought I'd show my steering shaft with some new gaitors. They are CV stretchy boot gaitors I got off ebay.
  13. K

Dashboard lights.

Does anybody know if you can replace the dashboard bulbs with led ones, and would they still be dimmable. If so, what type would they be. Mine has a few that are blown and I would like to replace all of them.
  14. K

Rear Shackles

Hi Guys, I've been having trouble with my computer, and I've had to re-format it, and I've lost all my info. People have been asking about the shackles. I've sent PM's but they don't seem to be sending. I havn't any material to make them at the moment, and to make it cost effective, I really...
  15. K

fixed rear wiper

Finally got round to fixing the rear wiper. Took motor off, took plate off to the terminals, quick clean on the terminals, and it works like new. Jobs a goodun.
  16. K

Camber angle?

Anybody know what the spec for the front camber angle is? Haynes manual dosn't say. Thanks.
  17. K

Rear Diff oil spec?

My Ex's rear end slides in the wet when it hits a bump. I read a 'post' about the fifth shock and/or the rear diff could cause this. I know the diff has a friction modifier and other members have suggested an oil that dosn't need any. Just wondered what other members use and if they have the...
  18. K

New front shocks.

For the last couple of years, my Explorer has had dubious handling at higher speeds. It would need constant correcting from side winds and felt very skitish. I've just put some mono tube KYB shocks on the front. Normal driving around town, it feels a bit firmer. I've just done 150 miles down...
  19. K

00m12 kit

Hi guys, Has anyone got a 00m12 kit spare that I could buy? Thanks Kev.
  20. K

Which spark plugs?

After being beaten by a Nissan X-trail deisel [very pi--ed off] on a duel carriage way, i've decided to treat the Ex to some new plugs The ones that are in have done over 50,000 miles. Gonna dust off the K&N filter and try that again as well. Anyway, anyone got a preference, recommendation...
  21. K

Indicator stalk repair.

My indicators have been playing up for ages. Somtimes working, sometimes not, flasher unit buzzing etc. I took the switch off yesterday to fix it. There are 5 screws holding it together and surprisingly bits of spring and contacts don't fly all over the place when you open it up. All the...
  22. K

Rear shackles

Does anybody else want any 2" lift or standard size rear shackles? A member in Spain wants some and I need to know the amount of material to order. They work out about £60 a pair and come with all hardware to fit them and that includes postage which is about £10. Thanks Kev.
  23. K

Death of an Explorer?

After rebuilding my gearbox, new brakes all round and spending the last 3 months derusting and undersealing, some twat of a woman has hit the front right wheel and bent the steering rack. Insurance company have written it off!!!!. Kev [totally pissed off]
  24. K

Working Handbrake.

I've just put new seals in all the brake calipers and thought it would be a good time to look at the handbrake. I removed all the shoes and springs and found the actuating lever completly seized on the left and stiff on the right. I seem to be sandblasting everything these days to ged rid of...
  25. K

Balljoint fix.

I've been cleaning up the front suspension and noticed a small nick in the top balljoint gaiter. I used a syringe, that you use to fill ink jet cartridges, and injected 50ml of CV joint grease into the gaiter. I then used a cotton bud, soaked in white spirit, and cleaned around the hole before...
Back