Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. F

Removing front dust shields?

Found it for my 2002 Mountianeer, problem is...there are two left front ones? Which one to get? There are two right ones as well, but at least they are labeled 2wd or 4wd....mine is 4wd
  2. F

if it's like mine (OEM) it goes on the back (interior) of the rotor
  3. F

I'd like too, but there is another problem...i noticed that the shields appear to be have bolts holding them, but they are sunk so they are flush with the shield...almost looking like a rivet or spot weld. Anways, the shield has come unfastened from one of the middle bolts and is floating...
  4. F

So, after doing my front wheel bearings, rotors, and pads, I think my dust shields are rubbing on the rotors. I want to remove/replace the shields, but can't find the parts for the shield at Rock Auto or Napa...is there a proper name for them? Or should I just take them off and not worry about...
  5. F

Rear Bearings and Rear Brake Replacement...which parts to order?

WHich one do i get? i have disk brakes on back...i see one that says "drum in hat"...does that mean drum brakes?, another in which the pictures looks the same as the drum one, but doesn't say, then the wagner one...that doesn't say a thing....(all from rock auto)
  6. F

Rear Bearings and Rear Brake Replacement...which parts to order?

So same situation as my previous rear ball joint thread.....I am overseas, need to make sure i get all the right parts... At Rockauto.com i have the following in my basket for the rear brake and bearing job... Wagner Rotor BD125759 (x2) Wagner Parking Brake Shoe PAB791 (x2) (read these may be...
  7. F

Rear Upper Ball Joints? Can they be pressed out?

Is it like the front ones where it is said they need a new control arm to replace the upper ball joints? I am getting ready to do the rear bearings, and after having done the front bearings and ball joints (did the whole control arm up front), i am wondering if I should do the rear upper...
  8. F

How to: 2002 Explorer rear wheel bearing replacement (pictures)

So saga for me continues....I have done the front bearings and upper and lower ball joints...and now on to the rears.... I wasn't planning on doing them, but the mechanic here says they are bad. I am overseas, and I have to order all the parts...just want to make sure this is the part i am...
  9. F

Replaced Front Ball Joints and Bearings...got a problem now...

I really don't know....this is the most advanced thing I have done to a car...I live overseas, so if I want something fixed I practically have to do it myself...i took car not to move the axle around too much when i took the knuckle off....i laid it on the lower control arm and tried not to move...
  10. F

Replaced Front Ball Joints and Bearings...got a problem now...

Two weeks ago, I set out to replace the upper and lower ball joints on the front my 2002 Mountaineer. Having done the driver side bearing a couple of weeks prior, I also did the passenger side bearing as the same time as the ball joints. Doing the first bearing, i realized i needed new ball...
  11. F

Ford Dealers in the UK...will they work on a 2002 Explorer

I am visiting the UK for 3 yrs, and I have my US spec 2002 Mercury Mountaineer (Ford Explorer) with me. Recently I have done a spat of repairs (upper/lower front ball joints, two new wheel bearings, external ambient temp sensor, and a multifunction switch replacement), but I think I may have...
  12. F

How To: Replacing Upper Ball Joints on a 3rd Gen 4x4 [Pictures]

Any advice on how to get the two bolts that hold the upper control arm on? I tried with a socket to the get the left one off...wouldn't budge. Socket wouldn't fit on the right due to that vaccum or brake line right under neath...not sure what it is. The auto hobby shop was full today, so I...
  13. F

YAY NEW 04 but 2 questions?

excellent link. I might be able to figure out the rear routing form the front wiper diagrams...the rear routing diagrams stop about middle of the vehicle...my problem exists forward of the passenger seat, but behind the wheel wheel.....i am guessing it's the valve and grommet assembly that...
  14. F

Don't suppose you ever found that layout detail?
  15. F

How to: How To: Replace Multifunction Switch

Replaced my 02 Mountaineer multifunction switch today....with this guide...piece of cake. On the mountaineer, I had screws instead of sockets to take the bottom panel off, and the screw holding the multifunction switch in, was 7/32" and not 7mm.
  16. F

How to: Replace 3rd Gen Ambient Air Temperature Sensor

Did mine today along with one wheel bearing....i did the temp sensor this morning in the parking lot waiting for the hobby shop to open...it really only takes about 10 min.....although I cussed a bit because the temp was stuck at 50 prior to the replacement...what are chances it would be exactly...
  17. F

How I changed my 05's Front Wheel Bearing

Did my driver side front bearing today....another happy customer (sort of)......those three bolts are a "B!TCH". Great write up, the most I have ever done to my car is change the oil and filter, and rotate the tires. I can't believe I made it through today....it took me 7 hrs becuase I got...
  18. F

External Air Temperature Sensor

Not yet....schedule has been hectic and there still isn't much day light yet in the UK.....I don't have a garage to work in or a very good well lit place....I had to work this whole weekend so it kinda shot my plans
  19. F

ALrighty...I got the part....anyone have a pic on where it might be located on the grill? Or some detail on how to get at it....besides the above post?
  20. F

I picked up mine from Rock Auto....still waiting for it in the mail...
  21. F

Big Rondo, I was wondering if you might have another diagram concerning the routing of the tube to the rear wiper tube? Mine has sprung a leak just aft of the front passenger tire, but I can't find the line....I had it up on the lift the other day for some other stuff, I didn't want to tear...
  22. F

Looking to replace mine, I live in the UK, so I had have my father swing by the local dealership and this part number didn't come up. I would have figured they could look up a solution at the dealership and they sent my dad away with no info...
  23. F

How I changed my 05's Front Wheel Bearing

If i were to order the TIMKENs from Rockauto, how do I get the bolts? Assuming they don't come with the kit, since they are not pictured. I am USAF, living in Britain, and I need to make sure I have all the pieces before I do this. I wanted to order the OEM kit from ford, but I had my father...
  24. F

well...it's a bummer that the pics aren't showing up. Don't know why...I don't have any special security software running or anything. I tried with IE and Firefox.....just space....not even little red x's..... ok..bizzare...had to click on "turn Img code" on....it was already on....but...
  25. F

No pics showing up here....a lot of space though.... I had read about the older models and saw the pics for those....but sadly not the same. We'll if the thing doesn't come apart, then I'll just order a whole new switch instead of trying to fix/clean the one. I am living in the UK, with...
Back