Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

What does computer use during open loop (ie 1st start of the day)

Havn't heard any vacume leaks. Computer is not throwing any codes. Check engine light is off and autozone found nothing wrong. Vacume leak does make sence. Thanks, Eric
  2. B

Thanks for the reply. On the SOHC the upper intake gaskets are the plentum gaskets arn't' they? That picture you have looks similar to what i changed. I replaced the vavle cover gaskets at the same time. In fact everything was in the same fel pro kit. Just to claify the truck now starts up with...
  3. B

Update***** Changed out my Coolent Temp Sensor and now the truck starts up much better. Still a little rough but going in the right direction. I also found that i was leaking unmetered air (prolly part of it also) at the TB to Plentum. Only problem is now my gas milage has suffered. Dont know if...
  4. B

Can feel every single bump in the road

I cannot comment on the max control's but i just put in Gabriel Ultra's on all 4 corners and my 97 rides awesome. Of course i changed my lower ball joints, both upper control arms, and tie rod ends. Got truck aligned and had 4 new tires put on. I have 185,500 on her now and it rides like new...
  5. B

Rough idle when cold fix

Thanks for posting this.. Now you gave me something else to try for my cold start issue! I will let you now. Eric
  6. B

-Your Explorer-

1. Which Explorer do you own (year, trim, engine, drive)? 2. How much did you pay for your Explorer? 3. How many miles did it have when you purchased it? 4. How many miles does it have now? 1. 1997 XLT SOHC V6 2 wheel drive 2. $7700 3. 75,000 4. 185,500 Purchased May of 2003
  7. B

How To: Upper Control Arm / Ball Joint Replacement (Lots of Pictures)

Wow thanks for this write up including the one for the ball joints. Did did this to my Explorer today and wow it rides so much better. Of course i put in new shocks and when I had new tires put on as well tonight. The old ball joints were horrible and would squeak when turning the wheel. The one...
  8. B

good Idea on starting cheap.. I like that.. lol. I replaced my t-state housing last winter so that bad boy is less then 1 year old.. should not be brittle. I only replaced the upper intake gaskets due to having to remove it to access leaking vavle cover gaskets. All Vac lines are solid and i...
  9. B

It might just be the TPS but the only problem with that is it tested perfect. I can tell you this, this AM i depressed the gas pedal with the key off then started the truck. Started and idled pretty good. Was not perfect (was a tiny bit rough) but was not shaking like it has been doing. I am...
  10. B

update 10/10/11**** I am starting to think the O2 sensors have something to do with start up and open loop. Since I have now a good o2 in both the drivers and passenger side starting cold these last 2 days the idle has been very rough. It dosnt stall but looks like it might idling around 500...
  11. B

update*** i now have a good o2 sensor on each side ( is swapped the new downstream with the bad upstream on passenger side - she also got new shocks today) Since i had battery disconnected i really wont know about the cold start till tomorrow but right now she drives awesome. It idles perfect...
  12. B

small update - i replaced the plug wires last night (mine were old) idle is a bit better and she isn't as rough any more. Kinda was hoping those would be the magic bullet but nope.. baby steps. I also cleaned the intake air sensor as well. I will swap the o2 sensors around this weekend and see...
  13. B

This morning I tried the "depress gas pedal" trick and it started differnt. It wasn't smooth but the idle was higher then normal.. right around 1000 rpm.. maybe 850 but very very rough to were the entire truck was shaking. I have no idea what depressing the gas pedal BEFORE i turn the ignition...
  14. B

After replacing my upper intake man gasket the truck has been running 10 x better then before. Same cold start issue is there but not as bad. Instead of stalling and requiring me to hit the gas to get started she fires up an idles around 500 rpm.. After maybe 30 seconds it kicks up to high idle...
  15. B

1997 Explorer thermostat housing replacement

I dont know if you fixed this yet or not but i replaced mine with the intake still installed. It didnt take to long as we pretty easy with the right combo of extentions and swivels. Hindsight being 20/20 i should have removed the intake since i just had to replace my vavle cover gaskets and...
  16. B

Wont rev over 1500, 2000,2500, or 3000 RPMS

UPDATE**** My 30 mile trip home = no issues. Truck ran just like it should, This leads me to believe some sensor got wet that affects some sort of spark cut off. I did remove the crank sensor elec connection and clean it, took down the MAF and cleaned it, checked the TPS.. it was perfect per...
  17. B

nice, thanks for the info. I'll post my results tonight once i get home. Yes I have never replaced the upper and lower intake gaskets..well.. this weekend i will.. Eric
  18. B

Sweet thanks. Codes ecu is putting out is lean bank left and right I belive. I have already replaced all the O2 sensors - Gas milage isnt perfect and its very inconsistant. Some tanks its 12.5 mpg's and others I get as much as 19.9 - in the middle of chasing this down. So on these motors the...
  19. B

Hey all, 97 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4 x 2 - 183,000 miles This am it was dumping rain in TampaBay Florida and my truck didnt want to go over around 1500 rpms. As i turned around to go home I hit a puddle and it got a bit better. Hit the gas and she ran up to 3k no issues then stopped. I know i have a...
  20. B

Will not rev past 3000 rpms

Another update.. It appears the variable intake system (VIS) was sticking for some reason. I lubed that up and now she will rev up past 4k in while driving and in neutral. It still hits a "cut off around" 4200/4500 rpms (this is driving.) This really baffles me from changing the...
  21. B

Update - Replaced camshaft sensor and now i got another 1000 rpms out of her before hitting limiter. It will now rev to 3500/3800 rpms before limiter gets activated. Any other ideas? At least the truck is drivable in its current condition!! Thanks.
  22. B

MAF tests good and i swapped with another MAF from another explorer. Same condition. Ran up to autozone to have codes pulled. Only 2 show.. O2 sensor ( i got a bad downstream one) and the CAM sensor. Cam sensor makes sense since it controls timing. Should be in by 1 so i will find out then...
  23. B

After much searching I am stumped. I have a 97 XLT with the 4.0 SOHC motor and since i swapped out cracked T-state housing last night truck will not rev over 3000 rpms.. Usually its maxing out around 2500 rpms. This is with load in gear driving down the road and in P or N. (auto trans) - I have...
  24. B

Long time Lurker 1st time caller

Just jumping in to say hi. Been lurking for years but finally got a problem i cannot solve. Will be positing in the appropriate section!!! Hi yall!! Big-E
Back