Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

For Sale Set of 8 ignition coils - 4.6L V8 | 8W7E12A366AA | DG-508

Bump - now including eight (8) Autolite XP-104 Iridium Spark Plugs
  2. J

Brand new, OEM coils, purchased to put in my truck, engine ended up burning a valve and I got rid of it. Ford P/N: 8W7E12A366AA MotorCraft P/N: DG-508 $170.00 shipped
  3. J

bump, price drop $170 shipped. Can a mod move this to the correct forum? These parts are not used
  4. J

Brand new, OEM coils, purchased to put in my truck, engine ended up burning a valve and I got rid of it. Ford P/N: 8W7E12A366AA MotorCraft P/N: DG-508 $180.00 shipped
  5. J

2002 Limited 4.6 V8 (for parts)

2002 Ford Explorer Limited 4.6 V8 for sale for parts - car had 128K on it when the engine was pulled. Clean title, no engine. Was going to swap in a DOHC engine, but plans changed. SUV is in great shape, no body issues, no mechanical issues aside from missing engine. Comes with optional tow...
  6. J

4.6 Engine Removal Tips Request

how'd you make out? I'm about to pull the 4.6 out of my 2002 limited. I have most of the electrical harness disassembled now and the driver side exhaust manifold. Can the engine be pulled with the driver side exhaust manifold still on it? I've already disconnected the exhausts at the manifolds...
  7. J

4th to 3rd gen radio compatibility?

I haven't found one in a yard yet, there's a bunch on ebay, for like $50...I have to replace my engine before I mess around with any interior audio stuff. Changing the engine in the middle of June sometime, so I won't have any information on the radio until at least then
  8. J

Spark Plug Repair - Timesert 5553

1-4-2-5-3-6 Coil pack: 3|4 2|6 1|5 (Front of Truck) Engine: 3|6 2|5 1|4 (Front of Truck)
  9. J

4th to 3rd gen radio compatibility?

I'm gonna grab one from the junkyard later, and give it a shot. I hate not having an aux input, and I don't want to shell out the money to get an aftermarket double din, I'll post results in a few weeks
  10. J

4.6 interchangeability

SOHC 3v or DOHC 4v or stock 2v which would you choose if you were going to be swapping motors? Also does anyone have a comprehensive checklist of what's required to put an Aviator engine in? I see the DOHC post, and maybe it's my ADD, but it seems the information is scattered and hard to...
  11. J

4.6 interchangeability

perfect, found an 05 for 699 with 89k on it
  12. J

4.6 interchangeability

So I probably need a new engine for my 2002 4.6....when I go to car-part.com it shows that 2002 4.6's are different than 03-05. I called up a junkyard and told them I was looking for an 02 4.6 - 8th Vin Digit "W" and he said he had only 1; I asked if he had any other 03-05 explorer/mountaineer...
  13. J

4.6 timing chain question

amazon returns are wicked easy
  14. J

02 limited 4.6 considerable amount of oil consumption

well I upped it to 100 to see if i could tell any difference, I could hear? air coming from somewhere, but I figured it might just be the air circulating through the cylinder/head/etc, and again still no real noticeable increase in flow coming out the exhaust, and nothing coming out the intake...
  15. J

DOHC 4.6L V8 build

any updates?
  16. J

I did do a leakdown test (crude method of hooking compressor up - at 30 psi) and I felt slight air coming out of the exhaust, but not what I expect 30 psi would feel like. I could feel air coming out of cylidner #7 spark plug hole which is odd, so I put the plug in there and it didn't change...
  17. J

I bought a new lifter/lash adjuster at O'Reilly last night and a rocker arm. I can't see anything wrong with the spring. I took the lifter out and put the new on in along with the new rocker. I took the front cam cap off and there is some scoring along the cam and the cap - is this junk...
  18. J

so I was reading another post on here regarding open valves - it appears it can be a couple of things - bent valve (removal of head), burnt valve (removal of head), bad lifter, or bad spring....I bought a borescope on amazon, I'm gonna take a look tonight, hopefully if everything looks ok, I'll...
  19. J

I loaded up the tap with thick bearing grease to catch shavings, then proceeded to stick an open compressor hose down there for about 1 minute to blow anything out, and before I put the new plug on (right before I drove to Montreal) I attached my shop vac to a piece of hose that just fit in the...
  20. J

yeah their x5 6 cylinder is a straight 6... I've changed the head on my 1991 318is, ended up being a cracked block and changed the whole engine, never done anything like that on a V tho I can get a 4.6 at the junkyard with 89k on it for $500, which is cheaper than two new heads, I'll have to...
  21. J

just the information I was looking for - should I change both? i've only ever changed heads on straight 6's and inline 4's, so there was only one. when i get the head off I'm gonna check the piston rings too, just in case, no point putting new heads on if the rings are junk.
  22. J

How many miles on your 3ND GEN EX?

First one, 02 XLT 4.0 had 235k - developed a knock after driving through snowbanks Current, 02 Limited 4.6 has 128k - needs a valve job, sitting in my garage right now
  23. J

elp....bad news. Cylinder 6, compression...20psi. I hooked up the compressor to the head, and could feel slight air coming out the exhaust - must be an exhaust valve @ cylinder 6. new question - what's the typical cost for a head job? Assuming it's only one bent valve, do I need to replace all...
  24. J

Cooling system flush help

I don't think theres a big deal between the green **** and the gold **** as long as you don't mix the two...if you completely flush out the green and put the gold in, it should be fine, and vice versa.
Back