Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

Need help in disconnect the trans cooler line, can't take the nut off!

So may be we shall make a metal shield for the rubber line - I am joking. I don't run off road and I plan to replace the rubber line with the steel line next spring. From what everybody described here, I am OK in this particular case. I appreciate everyone's comment and help. Have a good...
  2. D

Yes, there is one ft rubber line which connects the steel cooler line with the radiator/cooler. You can see it if you take the bottom cover down. I took that rubber line as well as part of the steel line off and use the new rubber line directly.
  3. D

Finally got time for this. However due to the winter here in MN, I decided to replace one cooler line with rubber line. I went to Autozone and was introduced to the fuel line. So I brought 4ft and cut the rusted line and replaced it with the fuel line. The fuel line is rated as 150PSI. I am...
  4. D

All three pipes are rusted and two are leaking badly. $114 for all three including shipping after the forum discount. The box is huge because the irregular shape of the pipe.
  5. D

If I knew that it would this difficult I would have cut it and used neoprene hose. However I have ordered the steel pipes from Rockauto.
  6. D

Thanks a lot for the information. I will try to check that out tonight.
  7. D

I am at work now and I don;t have access to the truck.
  8. D

Can the dipstick tube to be removed, from where it is connected to the trans pan?
  9. D

Thanks for the tips. I will try the line wrench. The problem is that there is not much clearance to align the wrench and the nut. And there is not much clearance to turn the wrench. Look at the second picture above, the wrench and the nut is at 45 degree angle and the black tube (dipstick tube)...
  10. D

I tried crow's foot and the head is too big. IN addition, I tried several extension from the crow's foot to a ratchet which is flexible and I still can;t move it at all. This is not the dip stick tube. This is the cooler line from the transmission to the radiator/cooler. The connector is close...
  11. D

I am in the process in replacing the trans cooler lines between the transmission and radiator/trans cooler. Both lines are rusted and are leaking. I have brought the lines from rockauto. Today when I tried to disconnect the trans cooler line from the transmission side, I found that I am in...
  12. D

2000 Exp 4X4 possible transmission issue - bad in drive & reverse, but OK in 2 or 1

Sounds similar. Several years ago, I was going to a ski trip. On the way going everything was good. On the way back, I could only drive on the 2nd gear. Finally pulled it to a local shop and a rebuild transmission was replaced.
  13. D

Wont pull in any gear except 4th

I had similar symptom several years ago. The truck can only go with the 2nd gear. It was diagnosed as transmission failure and the transmission was replaced with a rebuild one.
  14. D

Trans cooler line leaking ??

I realized that when I replace the front sway bar end link. I had to cut the link off using hand saw because I couldn't get the nuts out.
  15. D

Yes, salt is everywhere here in Minnesota. If I buy the set and replace the lines, since the lines are connected to the trans fluid pan, does that mean that I will need to fill the trans fluid for whatever it comes out? Further how hard it is to get the lines off from the both side (one side...
  16. D

I noticed that the two steel pipes shown in following pictures are covers by trans fluid because the fluid is in red color. These two pipes are connecting the transmission fluid pan and the trans cooler behind the radiator. So those are trans cooler lines, right? I don't understand why there are...
  17. D

Power steering fluid for a 98 Explorer?

I have no idea. I always follow manufacture's recommendation.
  18. D

Power steering fluid for a 98 Explorer?

Motorcraft MERCON automatic transmission fluid
  19. D

AC is hot, low side pressure ok???

Did you know the pressure on both high and low side? When you say 'AC shut off' do you mean you don't get AC but compressor is still running or the compressor is disengaged when you hit 3500rpm?
  20. D

front bumper/grille guard

Junkyard
  21. D

Check Engine - P0340

I took a look at it and it seems to me that I need to remove the coil pack in order to take off the sensor? I am getting P0340 code and I would like to take replace the sensor to see if it can clear the code.
  22. D

Tie rods have play on both side when both tires are jacked up, are inner rods bad?

Thanks. I will try that next time when both tires are off ground.
  23. D

How to: Replace your sway bar / stabilizer bar bushings and end links

Note that my 98 has horizontal mounting of the bar.
  24. D

Tie rods have play on both side when both tires are jacked up, are inner rods bad?

With two tires off the ground, if I grab 3 and 9 o'clock and try to pull one side and push the other, both tires would move. Looks like that you turn the steering. Does that indicate that the tie rods (both inner and outer) don't have play?
  25. D

How to: Replace your sway bar / stabilizer bar bushings and end links

Can't get the end link bar off because of the rust. Had to use muscle to cut it. :sawzall:
Back