Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

410Custom's builds a 2007 Ranger V8 - custom truck build - Project "Ranger Premier"

That's what it looks/reads like to me. 5 quarts going to be enough? The engine I put in my '99 seems to need 6 to read full on the dipstick. Doesn;t seem like I'll be able to get away with oil that thin either. Started out on super cheap (WM SuperTech) 10w-30 oil knowing I was going to change...
  2. J

410Custom's builds a 2007 Ranger V8 - custom truck build - Project "Ranger Premier"

Yes. Not sure of the brand he used here, but on the 98+ they get lift by dropping the pivot point of the lower arms. Essentially adding another crossmember under the existing one.
  3. J

Spark plug wires for TMH?

Hey @410Fortune bringing this back up to ask a related question. Do you have any links to where you;ve prepared and laid out the plug wires before? I know I've seen it, but I can't recall where. Got my swap up and running mostly. Need to fix the AC and I think I destroyed a u-joint on Sunday...
  4. J

4R70W shift kit or tuning?

Honestly, I'm not thrilled with the price of any of it, but it's going to have to shift better than it currently does. No slippage, just too lazy for lack of a better term. Not really going to matter which I use then. I have no real history with either. Both transmissions were from V8 Explorers...
  5. J

I guess I read that wrong, or maybe you were just saying that you were considering and looking into it. I haven't really looked into the Sonnax parts yet, but in past reading (may have been for 5R55E) I've seen the name crop up a lot. Which Sonnax piece is this: I'm guessing the line pressure...
  6. J

@vroomzoomboom thanks for the links. They appear to be a good resources for performaing the J-mod, but I'm afraid that they and further research is leaving me more confused. First off, I think I need to throw the notion of the J-mod being free, right out the window. Still cheaper than an...
  7. J

5.0 Radiator interchange?

If I buy one, it'll either be Four Seasons or GPD. Four Seems to be a good brand from what I can tell. GPD is actually headquartered locally and started out here as a local AC service shop.
  8. J

Got it. Actually a new accumulator and orifice tube went in before we started vacuuming the system. Tube was dirty, but didn't look black death dirty. Got a small scale. Turns out that in that attempt it only took about half an ounce of refrigerant. I think we did something wrong there. Even...
  9. J

Thanks. I haven't read through all that second link since I'm in my phone. It seems like there are different versions of the J-mod depending on year. The transmission I'm using us a 2000 model. I also have. I also have a complete 1998 2wd Explorer 4R70W. I know that functionally they are the...
  10. J

I guess this is kind of going to be a chicken or egg, which came first type of thread. We just got done with the AWD V8 swap into my 99 Ranger last week. Got some bugs to work out, but so far I'm liking it. I can already see a few things that will have to change though. 1) Speed limiter has...
  11. J

:thumbsup: the vacuum part I know, but thanks for looking out. Friday night I rented a vacuum pump from O'Reilly when I bought the new parts, and already we had a manifold set. Saturday we figured out that the vacuum pump would only pull the system down to 16 inches, and that one of the hoses...
  12. J

Well the V8 swap is "done" and that didn't last long. Turns out the Explorer and the weather were teaming up to play tricks on me. The day I brought the donor home, the EATC wouldn't let me set a temperature below 60 and the outside air was cold. I think what I felt and thought was working AC...
  13. J

Fuel hose, rail to frame...

- TL/DR - Has anyone replaced the hardline between the frame and engine with a braided (or other flexible) hose? If so, what did you use for the replacement? Off the shelf solution available, or mix and match parts to make your own...
  14. J

I hear you, but way it was sitting it has t had a chance to get water in that part. Even what came out of the radiator still had antifreeze in it. I will be running dual factory coolers since I've got three of them. The 5R55E appears to use the same cooler, so truck already had one, and I've...
  15. J

Well, looks like I have still got a dual core V8 radiator, found it on the metal pile over at dad's house while taking a break from wrenching. I'll pick up a test kit from the auto parts store and make sure it still holds water like it's supposed to. I think it still worked fine, but the...
  16. J

DIY Explorer 302 Headers

Once I have them in place I'll see what my hardware options look like for mounting the dipstick. Have the original bolt. Have an APR header bolt kit with a little extra length for the thick gaskets. Also picked up a stud today to see if I might want to go that way for the one fastener. My...
  17. J

DIY Explorer 302 Headers

I think I want to do this to my OBX headers. They don't have the coating like the real deal TMs so I doubt they will stay as nice looking once the heat hits. Don't really want them shiny either. Might spray with some of the Rustoleum or VHT 2000° paint. Don't expect it to last, just look better...
  18. J

Does the Explorer V6 radiator have the mounts for the V8 condenser? I now that the Ranger one does not. At this point I can't get either to a shop that services AC. Not trying to track down someone that does it mobile. Not venting to atmos if I can avoid it. Since it functions, it is simpler...
  19. J

V8 Explorer condenser mounts to radiator. V6 Ranger condenser mounts to core support. Don't know how V6 Explorer condenser mounts. I have to use the V8 Explorer compressor, V6 Ranger compressor won't fit the engine. To use that compressor without opening the system I need to use the V8...
  20. J

Understand now, thought might have been talking about a different actual dimension listed on there, but I wasn't spotting it. Yes ,dual row (thicker) vs single row (thinner) is exactly why I was posting.
  21. J

Couldn't tell you in that one. Haven't even compared the Ranger V6 radiator close to the Explorer V8 radiator. Early 2nd Gen was the plan, just need/wanted to verify that there wouldn't be any issues. I am assuming that the bean counters dropped the second core for the late second gens. I...
  22. J

Thank y'all. @410Fortune I figured it would be, but wanted to verify since they have different tear range listings. I noticed and have already removed the bracket you mentioned. I think I've had a dual row 5.0 radiator at one point, but I still had that bracket so maybe not. Would also be the...
  23. J

Comment by 'JoshT' in media 'himalaya7'

Just noticed this picture at the top of the page and had to take a better look. Pretty cool looking rig. Found some more info online and in an eBay AD for a few concept brochures. Looks like it was a 1999 Ford concept car for the Expedition. Was called the Hymalaya.
  24. J

Looking into radiators for the 5.0 swap into my Ranger. I live in middle GA, so like having as much cooling as I can get for summers. Even with the stock 4.0L, truck came with and I kept a stock dual row radiator. The 5.0 is probably going to need as much or more cooling capacity, and even if...
  25. J

"Big 3"ish electrical upgrade?

In process on my V8 swap into the Ranger. Need/want to rebuild the battery harness. I have two harness, one looks like this on the starter end. The other doesn't look much better on the battery end of the ground, I could probably do a repair splice on it, but I'd rather avoid that. I could...
Back