Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

94 explorer A/C fan works when it wants to

So... you are driving along and the fan just stops working, or you get in and it won't go on, but sometimes it does, am I right? I'm pretty confident in this guess, it has happened to me before, and good news: It's a fast cheap fix. This is almost certainly the relay under the hood. Look in...
  2. R

Sounds like I'm on boggers after steering gear replacement and alignment.

I think I might call the shop and see if the tech can remember what he adjusted, and use that as a potential starting point.
  3. R

'93 Explorer: crank, but no start

I'd verify all your fuses and relays too.
  4. R

'93 Explorer: crank, but no start

Answering your direct question on the timing chain, you could do a compression test, pressure gauge in any spark plug hole. (as someone else just posted while I was writing this!) I suppose I might do a fuel pressure test/measurement just because it's one thing that will not throw a check...
  5. R

4x4 and gauges INOP

Yes, knowing which fuse will help immensely. One place I would check pretty quickly is anywhere that has aftermarket equipment installed, such as remote-start, aftermarket alarms, radios and amps, any place that has non-factory equipment. I'm sure you know the drill, someone tries to install...
  6. R

werid start up

So, let's just cover a little general theory first so we are on the same page. A starter will have two wires connected, one just a regular looking wire, and one heavier cable. The regular wire is, in essence a trigger wire. Turning the key to START applies voltage to this wire via the...
  7. R

Occasional no crank no start, replaced starter, solenoid. Bad ignition switch?

Ok, I'm going to respectfully steer you away from battery cables for the moment. If it were a battery cable issue, the lights would have dimmed or gone out entirely when the connection went bad. Now, just to be clear because there are two 'solenoids', everything I am about to talk about...
  8. R

Occasional no crank no start, replaced starter, solenoid. Bad ignition switch?

In the case where you say it doesn't crank, do you hear the solenoid on the fender click/clunk or is it just dead silence? Also. when you turn the key and it doesn't crank, does everything else seem normal (the dome light, for example)? Is this entirely random or is it more likely to happen...
  9. R

94 4 door listed on autotrader, with manual transfer case.

Wow. A little bit closer, a little bit cheaper... I'm not sure what's up with the tires, those aren't right and the seats are toast. Tempting, none-the-less.
  10. R

Gas gauge not working

Pegged full is unusual, they usually fail the other way. In essence, yes, it is an old school design, variable resistor on a float in the tank and an analog gauge. The only complication, and I think this might be significant in your particular case, there is an anti-slosh module in the gauge...
  11. R

DO NOT BUY PARTS FROM ROCKAUTO!

Well, of course you can! Here are some tips: 1) Do a full registration on the website. We do not sell your information and you can choose right there not to get promotional email. It's a no-brainer. 2) Having done that, you can call Digi-Key at 800-344-4539, give them your customer number and...
  12. R

Greetings :) Looking for some fuel pump help!

The DELPHI specs are right. Going to a higher pressure or volume will only cause the regulator to return more fuel to the tank. I'm sorry about that Ford part number, I got that from what I thought was a reputable site. I would go with the DELPHI anyway. Whatever quality differences between...
  13. R

Greetings :) Looking for some fuel pump help!

Hello Nikolay, welcome! I suppose the obvious answer to your question is a standard replacement fuel pump assembly, and if price is not an issue, you might as well get the Ford-brand Motorcraft 6L5Z9H307D. As I recall from the years on this message board, the DELPHI HP10142 is also a great...
  14. R

DO NOT BUY PARTS FROM ROCKAUTO!

Yeah, I hear things like this a lot, not about Rock Auto specifically but... I work a customer service job at Digi-Key Electronics and I do hear plenty of complaints like this about other companies. I'm going to make some comments, in no particular order. This is a very long post... it's a...
  15. R

Major plug wire corrosion at coil.

Well, I'm just thinking that plug got some abnormal energy from the coil. I'm not thinking of anything specific. It was really just an idle thought, not a concern.
  16. R

4 wheel drive isn't working in my 1994 Ford Explorer. Any ideas as to why?

I never had very much luck hearing clicks from the 4x4 module. I would go to the shift motor first as well.
  17. R

Door Lock switch and Power Mirror switch getting 8 volts

What I was getting at with the voltmeter is this... actually, I will give you a personal example: I had a bad brake light. I took the bulb out and measured 12V in the socket. So, I replaced the bulb anyway, still didn't work. So then, I pierced the insulation and measured the voltage with...
  18. R

Well, good news, another '94 running happy. I think some nice afternoon when you have nothing to do, you might pull the spark plug associated with this problem, particularly if it's an easy one to get to, and look it over. Or not... Sometimes on older stuff the old 'if it ain't broke...'...
  19. R

Door Lock switch and Power Mirror switch getting 8 volts

What were the terminals/wire colors where you measured? Also, what were the voltages while you tried to use the mirror/locks? I'm asking that because modern voltmeters do odd things when there is a bad/corroded connection in the circuit. It the voltage stays around 8 Volts, that's one thing...
  20. R

Does it look a little like this? You could make a trivia question these days to identify this part. It is, of course, the inside of a distributor cap. If this gunk looks like your gunk, it is the byproduct of arcing. I have seen it in distributor cap spark plug wire sockets too... like...
  21. R

How long should a A4LD vacuum modulator hold a vacuum?

That's very good, I shouldn't expect much better from a mass-produced part. 2" of hg (inches of mercury) is a pressure drop of less than 1 PSI (forgive the mixed terminology). You're good.
  22. R

Rubbing Brakes?

Well, I was in the middle of writing a reply when 92exp4x4 basically made all my points and posted first... :) I'll say it a little differently: Though your problem might be grime in the cables, it could just as easily be a broken cable strand catching the jacket. It could just as easily be...
  23. R

Rubbing Brakes?

If the e-brake was set to change the tires, it could most certainly be a stuck cable. They run along the driver's side outside the frame rail, and you could just give them a good tug and see if this clears up temporarily. I had this exact thing happen some years ago. Figure out where it is...
  24. R

Front end bind

They were Warn. My manual hubs had Warn stickers on the knobs. I know because I spent like 3 obsessive days trying to find replacement stickers... I think I found the last set on Earth. And I know everyone has reached the conclusion, but I'll just say... yes. I had exactly as described the...
  25. R

What replacement radio will fit my '92 Explorer with the JBL system?

Your best shot is to go to the audio section of this board and go through the three articles at the top of the list. It's all there. And yes, there is a catch, some Explorers have an external amplifier hidden in the back, some do not. But all of this is explained in those threads. If you are...
Back