Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

Troubleshooting Electrical Problems with a Digital Voltmeter

I just wrapped up a thread troubleshooting the electrical side of a fuel pump problem, and it reminded me of a problem I had last fall. In both cases, troubleshooting was temporarily side-tracked because of some unique traits to Digital Voltmeters. So, while it's fresh in my mind, I'm going to...
  2. R

Spare Tire Madness!

As I recently posted, I am getting ready to retire my Explorer... but got hit with some delays because of my work schedule. The thing is (was) my right front tire was starting to show steel and I was getting some odd random steering action on the highway. So, I thought... simple enough, I'll...
  3. R

All Good Things...

All good things must come to an end, they say. I bought my '94 ten years ago for $1,700, and I have gotten 10 almost trouble-free years out of it. I'd keep going but the rust is so pervasive, the body is structurally unsound, and it is in sore need of tires and shocks. So...... If there is...
  4. R

Motorcraft Spark Plugs

I was once an elite member, and this is more public service than trying to make a profit, I'm actually losing money on this, but they need to go to a good home: I have 15 Motorcraft sparkplugs, new, in box, AWSF42PP. This is the original double platinum plug, Motorcraft brand, not Autolite. I...
  5. R

Solid-On Turn Signal - Solved

I have not posted in several years... had a run of good luck with truck and some life challenges. Anyway, I just solved a problem and it's so strange, I think it's worth spending some time to document. Symptom: Right turn signal on dashboard is solid-on, that is, not flashing normally...
  6. R

Brake Puzzler

In the spirit of Click and Clack, I offer the following puzzler, a true story: This spring, I did normal maintenance, including lubing the driveshaft slip joints, ball joints, etc... About 2 weeks later, I began feeling drag as I was driving. This drag got progressively more noticeable...
  7. R

You meet the nicest people on explorerforum.com

I have been frequenting a few other forums lately on different topics, and what I experienced really surprised me. There are some really rude and inconsiderate people out there in forumville. When I compare how new people are treated here compared to these other forums, I have to admire our...
  8. R

Hatch alignment instructions?

Wondering if anyone knows a thread or alternate instructions for aligning the rear hatch.... I'm having a heck of a time with it.
  9. R

A Tale of Two Plugs

A newer member had some confusion about the appearance of the spark plugs, particularly how some are full threaded and some are not. They are functionally the same, as I hope my drawing will show. It is an unusual design, and it took me a while to see how it worked. Hopefully this will...
  10. R

Possible Solution to Warm Start Problem

Over the years, I have seen quite a few posts about a problem with warm starts, where the truck is parked on hot pavement for a while and then it runs awful for a minute or two. Well, yesterday I was doing some reading (I'm working on a reference thread for the fuel system), and found this in...
  11. R

Knowing when to stop... a sad but comical story

This is not a request for help or information, just a story about my last two weeks and an adventure into the Explorer Repair Twilight Zone. A few months ago, I noticed I had to crank the engine a little longer than usual to get it to start. It was still less than a second, no big deal...
  12. R

Tools to have on-hand

I guess I have been on this forum a few years, getting help, trying to help. I frequently see people challenged because they lack a few basic tools specific to the Explorer, things that are easy and cheaper to buy on-line before the crisis hits. Nobody, myself included wants to buy things they...
  13. R

Rancho RS9000XL Front Shocks, $35.38

That's price with free shipping. There are only 2 left at this price, so you will need to move fast. The Rancho 9000 is a 2-3/4" shock with a nine position adjustment to tune it to your suspension. It will work in a stock to 1-1/2" lift. Retail on these shocks are over $100 each. The...
  14. R

WANTED: Diode module from 1st Generation Power Distribution Box

I got curious one day and tried to pull it out, basically crunched the plastic and never got anywhere. I cannot find these on-line at any price... I'd rather pay one of you guys than the dealer. Got one? I'll give you $10 for it. Private message me if interested. Thanks! Phil
  15. R

Heavy Duty Relays, 80 Amps, Cheap!

I was thinking a while ago about how these cube relays just don't seem to be as reliable as they should be. I did some research and the ones we are buying at the auto parts store are 30 or 40 Amps, at best. Well, I think I found an answer. 80 Amp relays, should last forever. Now, what if...
  16. R

How To: Rebuild Rear Differential Traction-Loc

Rebuilding the Ford 8.8" Traction Loc Clutch Pack By: Roadrunner777 (my friends call me Phil) Parts: Ford Racing Traction Lok Kit Ford Racing Friction Modifier Note: Some people using full synthetic gear lube say they can get away without the Friction Modifier. You would then soak your...
  17. R

Official Mercon Fluid for A4LD Automatic Transmission

I have been slowly migrating my trans to new fluid by weekly sucking 2 quarts of fluid from the dipstick tube and pouring what I THOUGHT was the correct fluid back in. The manual calls for Mercon, which is no longer available under that name, other than maybe at a dealership at $12 a bottle. I...
  18. R

Roadrunner777 - 'Green Obsession'

My Goal My goal is to have a durable daily driver capable of challenging conditions, particularly winter conditions of deep snow. My work often calls me to travel before the snow plows begin work, and I am often the first person down a road during or after a blizzard. The final result of my...
  19. R

Mystery Squeak/Creak

I have been fighting a squeak for several weeks, being quite sure it was in the driver's front suspension or brakes. I hope I can save someone a similar rabbit-hole trip. It was the passenger side radius arm bushing. I don't know how I thought it was coming from the left side, it completely...
  20. R

Adding zerk fitting to old ball joints

In an earlier adventure, I discovered some play in my bottom ball joints when the x is supported by the frame. I was not at all surprised and I have seen enough suspension to know I can drive this for a while yet. But, I thought why not add a zerk fitting and pump it with some grease. Nothing...
  21. R

Winter Oil Change, XL Wix Filter 51773

Up north, it's time to get ready for winter, and for people like myself, an oil change that we hope will last through the winter. I did mine yesterday and thought I would throw out a few notes: 1. The standard filter is WIX 51515. As noted in another forum, there is another filter that is a...
  22. R

Engaging 4x4 pulls to right

Question: What actually holds the axle in the spindle? There is a slot cut in the spindle side axle spline, is something supposed to be in that slot? Right now the axle can move in and out of the spindle at will. Little help would be greatly appreciated, pictures coming.
  23. R

Window Sticks in Up Position (solved!)

Symptom was the window sticking in the up position, never down or any place in the middle, only all the way up, maybe one time in ten. Also, when stuck in the up position, when I tried to lower it, the dashboard voltmeter dropped a little bit. So, the motor was getting power, but it was...
  24. R

What did Roadrunner find in his diff?

Changed out diff fluid this afternoon... found these metal tabs in the bottom of the housing. Pictures tomorrow. It's 3.73 limited slip. Was? Also, what is up with the plastic dif cover? Is there some rational here because I don't see how it could be cheaper than a stamped steel cover. Why...
  25. R

Tooling up for body work

I'm preparing for my first actual metal panel replacement. I have done fiberglass/bondo and it came out ok, but I'm looking at some pretty bad rocker panels and they will need serious work. There are a couple of really excellent threads on this procedure, actually, they are one reason why I...
Back