Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. K

2002 Ford Explorer XLT, no brakes lights at all. Turning signals work.

Apparently out of adjustment and loose. I looked up there, saw it and tried to wiggle it, it's loose. Brake lights started to work right after I messed with it. Going to check it again tomorrow, hopefully it holds out til I get home from work when I will have a chance to re-tighten it...
  2. K

I think they might be related on the 2002. I know the reason I have to use the bypass is because some "switch" has gone out. I wonder if that is the same switch that controls the brake lights. If it is, I've been without brake lights for the better part of a year or so lol. Was hoping to...
  3. K

Neither the left, right or top center brake light currently works on my 2002 XLT. I had someone follow me into Wal-Mart tonight to let me know I had no brake lights, but my turning signals worked. I have no idea how long I've been without brake lights but I know something stopped working a...
  4. K

Are my tires shot? Need some feedback, posted pictures.

I ended up getting a set of Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10's. http://www.discounttire.com/tireInfoHankookDynaproATMRF10.html $700.54 out the door, mounted and balanced with road hazard. Oh and it came with a $50.00 dollar VISA pre-paid gift card so it's actually going to be more like $650.00...
  5. K

OK so what size rims is a 2002 XLT suppose to have? I have factory Ford 17 inch rims. I'm being told this SUV calls for 16's.
  6. K

I see. So... Um... Yeah I need tires now and I'll definitely look into that but I think I'm going to be stuck buying tires for now anyway. I think I'm going to keep the pull off LTX M/S tires until I can speak with Mich USA though. Anyway, so what are the suggestions? I've got about a...
  7. K

They are Michelin LTX M/S 2 tires. I think I need new tires, my wife is of the opinion I just WANT new tires. Tires are like going to the dentist though. I can think of a hell of a lot better ways to spend money, like a new GLOCK, or a nice COLT 1911 lol! :) I want not to cause an...
  8. K

I need an opinion on my tires. I drive about 450~500 miles a week for work in my personal vehicle. I was on the way to work last week when we had some moderate rain coming down and we have a lot of that new smoother pavement crap on the highway. Anyway you can see the water standing on this...
  9. K

Some questions about 4x4 Vs. AWD, first winter driving my XLT.

Well what makes an AWD Mountaineer AWD over say a Ford Explorer XLT being AUTO 4x4? Can you swap out the parts? I'd much rather have a AWD then a rear wheel drive that kicks in when I'm already sliding into a ditch or a utility pole!
  10. K

Some questions about 4x4 Vs. AWD, first winter driving my XLT.

I picked up a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 over the summer. We are about to get some snow storms here and this will be my FIRST time not trying an all time all wheel drive car. Previous to this, I had an AWD Mitsubishi Eclipse Turbo. I remember having a Ford Ranger years back and rear wheel...
  11. K

Replacing Shocks... 2002 XLT.

What size sockets or wrenches do I need to replace the rear struts on a 2002 XLT for the lower bolt? I have no idea what size they are and Google isn't helping. I'm about to go pick up the struts now and I gotta get either some sockets or wrenches that large too. Thanks! :)
  12. K

Oh really... I wonder how much they charge for them. I can get them for $136 locally for the quicks.
  13. K

Need some new struts/coilovers for my 2002. Monroe Econo or Sensa?

Obviously the Monroe Sensatracs are probably better but if I wanted to do this on a budget, how are the Monroe Econo quick struts? I can get the Econo's for around $85 each, as where the Sensa's run like $150 with shipping. I see the Sensa's have a life time warranty, the Econo's are 1...
  14. K

Need help calibarting my compass.

Well, that seems to be one of the steps but it looks like you have to put it into programing mode FIRST. I've tried everything, nothing works! :(
  15. K

Need help calibarting my compass.

I have read my manual but I can't figure this thing out. It tells me to press some reset button I do not have. The reset button it shows which looks to be located to the right of my radio, it just a blank piece of trim to fill the hole where the buttons should be. How do those of us...
  16. K

Power Door Locks: work with door open only

I sorta have a similar issue but in my case, my doors will unlock but NOT lock. doesn't matter if I use my key fob, the door buttons or what. I have checked the wires in the boot, none are broken. I can tell you though that I do get a click when I press the LOCK button but not from the...
  17. K

2002 Explorer XLT, rear brakes... And more brakes...

I ended up finishing up the brake job shortly after I posted the original question. I ended up having to replace BOTH rotors during the process but I did not replace the e-brake pads. I'm going to tackle that project this weekend I think. I'd rather have them working then not even if I...
  18. K

Can anyone tell me the name of this part? (pics)

No, but JB Weld for the win! :D Seriously, just slap some JB Weld over it and call it good.
  19. K

So they are parking brake pads only then... That was all I needed to know.
  20. K

So I noticed my back end was dragging a little when I hit the brakes... Time for pads! This is the first time I've ever done the brakes on this SUV. I pulled my caliper and my rotor and to my surprise I found a damn drum too. Drums and discs on one SUV? I was studying the setup and it looks...
  21. K

Well, thanks for the info. Looks pretty straight forward. Probably going to go with the Monroe's. My previous car was a Mitsubishi Eclipse AWD Turbo and I know how some of those things sent off to China to be copied can turn out LOL! Think I'd rather spend the extra money and know I have a...
  22. K

I have a 2002 XLT and its pretty squeaky and bouncy in the ass end. One of my friends was driving behind me and said man your rear shocks are SHOT, you need to replace them. I already knew this but I was trying to put it off. Anyway what is the best way to go about doing this? Should I...
  23. K

Transfer Case Fluid, How About Mobile 1 Instead Of MERCON V?

Well yeah I know that! :) It just seems that the Mobile 1 stuff is universal. Pretty much says anything but Type F. Just wanted to make sure no one was having issues with it.
  24. K

Transfer Case Fluid, How About Mobile 1 Instead Of MERCON V?

I wanted to run a synthetic fluid but the ONLY thing I could find locally was Mobile 1 Automatic Trans Fluid. The container says it works in transmissions that use MERCON V but I just wanted to double check and make sure there was no reason I couldn't use it it in my transfer case. Thanks.
  25. K

Looking for Homelink system

Can you link me to the DIY project where the guy installed one next to his moon roof control? All I have is a moon roof control and I'd really like to install one in my 2002! Thanks!
Back