Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. I

helicopter noise in 1-2-D-R trans position

Update: my Explorer doesn't start anymore. When I parked it last time, it was working real fine, the only problem was that helicopter noise in P. The morning after, I turned the key and it tried to start, I heard a long noise similar to a whistle coming from the engine/transmission... then...
  2. I

helicopter noise in 1-2-D-R trans position

Good evening everybody. Now,after almost 2 years I re-open this thread to tell you about a similar problem, but NOT the same problem. (last time I solved it by changing the flywheel and the torque converter) This time after a long ride on the highway, I noticed the helicopter sound once again...
  3. I

Fuel pump gone bad?

Thanks for your answer. Also, you said the right thing about air in the system, I noticed that heavy shaking when I took the car from the garage yesterday. About the pump, I'll follow your advice, and I really hope I won't have to crawl under the car to hit the tank and start the pump...
  4. I

Fuel pump gone bad?

Good morning from Italy. I want to add my 2 cents to this discussion, for what it worths. A few weeks ago, my 95 (4.0 OhV) Explorer started having a bad behaviour when i tried to accelerate, just like a lack of power for 1 second, and then full power for 2-3 seconds, then again 1 second of...
  5. I

buying brake pads on the internet

Hi all, once again a request, an advice to help this Italian Explorer fan who is in trouble. I have to replace all brake tabs of my 96 explorer limited before it's too late, but they are hard to find here :eek: and very very expensive, around $300 :mad: So, I thought to buy them on...
  6. I

Head gasket leak, What to do ?

Forgive me for this stupid question, but I think I can have the same problem on my Explorer. Water pump was replaced a few miles ago, they said it was broken, but now I have a coolant leak again and I don't think it's the water pump again... even if it's wet. Anyway, the question: why...
  7. I

some help about side mirror, headlamp switch and keyless pad

Actually, I have some panel bulbs that works random... sometimes they wor, sometimes they doesn't light up. I think they are not burnt, but there should be something wrong in the wires.... I doubt I'll be able to solve the problem I'm not tht expert. Thanks for the advice anyway.
  8. I

thank you, I'll try to follow Koda's instructions step by step, even if I don't have a good idea of all the terms he uses. I guess I'll understand while doing that job. I thought it was enough to remove the two panels under the steer column, the plastic one and the metal one, but now I see it's...
  9. I

Good morning everybody from cloudy Italy. Thanks in advance for you help, I've read some of the "how to" threads but I think i need some more tips as I'm going to start some maintenance works on my 96 limited. Here's the list of my questions: 1- someone broke my driver side mirror. The...
  10. I

trans stalls after overnight parking

Thanks for your replies. I thought it was a fluid level problem. When they changed the torque converter a few months ago, I barely could move the car. Also, going uphill, it always tried to shift gears. Then I added fluid and it went better. Now, the problem is still there but when the car...
  11. I

trans stalls after overnight parking

Good morning everybody from Italy. Maybe some of you remember about the transmission problem my 1996 Ex Lmt had last year, at the end I had to replace the torque converter. Anyway, after that replacement, I still had a (minor) problem that has become more and more common each passing week...
  12. I

Rattling noise only in drive with brake on

This is my experience: I heard the noise louder in D with brakes on, and seemed to disappear in N or P. In 1,2 or R I could hear it with brakes on. While driving, it's hard to know because there are too many noises around. Anyway, the result was the flexplate damaged, it crashed...
  13. I

after 7 months, my explorer is back!

Hi everybody, last time I wrote here I was looking for help because my explorer had a serious transmission problem. Now, after 7 long months (that I spent going to work and around by nicycle :(, no matter the rain... ) and some $4,000 (most of them I still have to pay :mad:), my car...
  14. I

OD "On" versus OD "Off" for 5R55S

I'm not an expert but I don't think that turning OD off while driving in heavy traffic could help. 2nd gear would be involved in any case, while OD would not enter until conditions (speed, rpm and so on) will ask for OD. And in case you need it, you should activate manually, and sometimes...
  15. I

Headlight/Wiper/Defrost/Fog LED conversion

I read this and I'd like to have my explorer back and in good shape soon :( to try some led modifications too. It's very interesting, thanks and congratulations to all.
  16. I

Question about transmission fluid level

it's tranny fluid no doubt, it leaks behind tne torque converter. This afternoon 1/2 gallon was added, and it shifted smoothly and without slipping. The very bad news is that right few minutes ago i had to go on a hill and after 10 minutes driving (with o/d off), a bad smell of burnt oil or...
  17. I

thank you for this advice, i'll try this too. Just curious, do you mean it could be already overfilled? Could this be the reason of ghe leaking after the flexplate substitution?
  18. I

Thanks for your quick reply! two other stupid question: min level = measuring it when hot, right? 1 quart = 1 quart of US gallon? (you know, I will have to convert it in liters...) Also, could you quickly explain which kind of problems occurr when a transmission is overfilled and...
  19. I

Hi everybody, another question from the Explorer guy from Italy. After replacing the flexplate, I still have a leak from the transmission. Mechanic said it's not a major leak, and anyway I don't want and don't have money to pull the trans once again and fix it. It's a leak under the torque...
  20. I

Slow shifts out of first, flashing OD light

I rebuilt the transimmion (the previous owner did) 2 years ago, and I drove it for about 20k miles, but I'm experiencing similar problems today. I don't think you have to rebuild the whole thing, but if it will be easier than wasting time and money trying to fix each part one by one, as soon as...
  21. I

new flexplate, new OD problem

Well I'm not afraid of bad news, they're more useful than false good news. And sometimes they're not as bad as they seems. Now, I took the car to the mechanic once again. he fixed the fuel leak, not the cooland leak yet. Anyway, he's one of the best among mechanics who repair 4x4 around here...
  22. I

Power Antenna question?

My power antenna isn't working correctly. I was thinking to dismount it and check if I can repair it. Thanks to your suggestion, I'm confident I can do the job easily. I'm only afraid that the antenna is broken and I should find another one on the internet, as here we don't have junkyards with...
  23. I

How to fix heated seats (short).

You're right! People were tougher then! I asked because someone told me they turn hot when heating system is running, in particular the rear window defroster (sorry for my english), just like heated mirrors do. And I think they turn hot when you sit on them for a long time :D
  24. I

just lost forward gears

I had my tranny rebuilt a couple of years and 15,000 miles ago. The owner of the truck at that time told me that he had to rebuild because the only gear working was 1. No R, no 2 or D or OD. Now, my flexplate broke, it was replaced with a brand new one and I got a message asI wrote in the...
  25. I

Transmission fluid leak...where to look?

Glad to know you fixed the problem. I discovered there was a power steering leak almost the same way you did, too bad I had a transmission leak too. Anyway, I never thought about power steering, the fluid color was almost the same and the wet spot on the ground didn't help too much. I fixed...
Back