Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 0

03 crown vic motor swap underway....pt 2 conclusion

Actually they should be the same unless the engine you have is the non pi engine. If I remember correctly you need to block off a water port at the rear passenger side of the intake. I have used both. Throttle body is different as well as the egr system. Check out amazon.com and mock an order up...
  2. 0

If you have any questions just post and I will get back to you....
  3. 0

not over your head. Very easy and inexpensive swap alternative to the explorer engine. I have done several of these swaps. Follow the above thread to the letter and you should have no problems. Just make sure the engine you buy is the Romeo engine VIN W from about '99 up. The engine removal...
  4. 0

06 ex stalls when engaged into drive

It's been a long time but figured I would finish this thread. I have about 8000 miles on the tranny since this problem arose. Turns out the tcc solenoid was stuck keeping the converter locked in o/d. New solenoid pack cured the issue. I pulled the solenoid pack doing a simple test of the...
  5. 0

thanks for the info! quick update. i went to my father's where it is currently parked to try a theory i had. i was thinking that if i pulled it down into 4lo and put it into drive that it would put the gearing low enough to take off. presto! lurched out of the hole but took off. does this prove...
  6. 0

Thanks for the reply back. Actually, my transmission is the 55s. I assume one of the solenoids in the pack is the tcc. I would be curious to know if I can manually disengage this.
  7. 0

stupid of me to ask if the tcc solenoid operates in all gears. of course it doesn't because the duty of a tcc solenoid is to engage/disengage in high gear to lock it 1:1 with the transmission right? if there was a malfunction regarding lockup, would it not stall the engine at idle? any info, any...
  8. 0

guys, got one that is really stumping me here. wife calls me this morning to tell me that when picking up my son from headstart that the explorer "chugged' and died rolling into the parking space. she put it into park, restarted the engine, after picking up my son dropped it into reverse...
  9. 0

Anybody have experience with 06'+ 4.0 engine swap?

Sounds good. Keep us informed! And good luck!
  10. 0

you gotta be ****tin me. i have changed cassettes without the use of the otc timing tool. you have to be very, very careful when doing so. sounds like that may be the route you need to go. without the tool, there can be ZERO movement of the chain or the sprocket in relation to the cam or you're...
  11. 0

very easy swap. i have done a few of these and the mustang engine is a good substitute. and for whatever reason they seem to be more readily available than the x's, or at least they are in my area. have fun with it.
  12. 0

2002 Mercury moutaineer v8 awd

x2. that absolutely will cause binding as well and in severe situations, lead to components inside the transfer case to fail.
  13. 0

2002 Mercury moutaineer v8 awd

it's not the front driveshaft. it's spinning and doing it's thing no matter which way the wheels are turned. your problem is coming from the rear differential. locate your axle code on the driver's side door. I bet it's probably d4. the binding, popping noise you hear during turns is caused by a...
  14. 0

5r55s interchange?

No problem. And thanks for the moral support!
  15. 0

5r55s interchange?

well, the conclusion (finally!) to all of this, and glad to say it has a happy ending. i have been very ill up til late last week, and until last friday had no chance of looking at the ex. i ordered a new trans range sensor through ford and installed it. cleared all codes and PRESTO...
  16. 0

5r55s interchange?

Brad, yep the trans still had the sensor bolted to the case. I should've pulled it off but I didn't. the dude involved in rebuild thinks that there is a small possibility that the transmission is confused, due to the trs potential failure but not sure. he's a good guy and is standing behind it...
  17. 0

5r55s interchange?

UPDATE- Well, we got some good weather so the transmission is in. initially I had no problems today driving around. shifted through the gears fine. tonight my wife takes it to the store. on the way home she gets a wrench light and two codes:: p0705-transmission range sensor malfunction...
  18. 0

5r55s interchange?

Thanks for the reply back. Yeah, he never said anything about flushing the lines. Uh oh right? Maybe he thought that it should have been obvious there would be residue and material from the failure. I do feel fairly confident in his rebuild abilities so hopefully everything is alright. Keep...
  19. 0

5r55s interchange?

UPDATE- transmission is back in my possession after the rebuild. turns out that it was NOT a reman originally like i was told that it was. what happened was o/d servo and band slippage. some other sh_t was chewed on a bit around the speed ring as well. luckily the guy doing the rebuild had some...
  20. 0

2006 4.0L v6 Explorer is leaking coolant but can't locate?

If you don't want to modify the hoses, which I wouldn't, I would buy a brass fitting that has a double barb (one on each end), connect each end coming from the heater core and run it as a loop. You could plug each end as well(?)
  21. 0

Shifter stay's in park!!!

there is/was a recall for this on certain years of the 4th gen. see the link below: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267821
  22. 0

2006 4.0L v6 Explorer is leaking coolant but can't locate?

what he said x2. also be looking at the heater control valve which resides on the passenger side of the engine. has a vacuum line going to it. this piece of junk almost cost me an engine on two different occasions. in addition to the heater control valve there is a T junction on the same side...
  23. 0

5r55s interchange?

quick update on the problems at hand. i acquired a ton of useful information on 5r's from a transmission guy. he's giving me a smoking good deal on a rebuild so i couldn't pass it up. to confirm: NO*-there is no interchange of transmissions regarding the 06-08s and the earlier years of the...
  24. 0

S.O.S!! 06 explorer grinds in 2nd gear!

kawdog, yes, there was a bit of a whine/whirr in O/D. didn't take long for it to start on it's way down. damn, you would think ford would have fixed this transmission after so many failures out there. Ford's pattern in the past seems to be "throw it out there" and see what happens, then update...
  25. 0

5r55s interchange?

thanks for the reply. yep, totally different cases for the 4.0 and 4.6. I know there is a slight difference in gear ratios on 4.0 trannys from 02-05. it was not enough to trip the pcm in those years. I have done a swap, using a low mileage transmission from an 02 to put into an 04, which...
Back