Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

Where are you buying your exhaust parts?

Thanks for all the input. I just ordered from RockAuto, 120.00 for the whole kit delivered, plus (30.00) rebate from Walker muffler.
  2. M

Where are you buying your exhaust parts?

I have to replace my muffler, but thinking of going from the cat back. What brand of parts do you recommend and where to buy? I would like to keep it as close to original in terms of sound, but cost is a factor since this truck is beginning to rust bad, due to 12 years of Michigan winters. Any...
  3. M

Weird rear end noise

Driving in any direction, doesn't matter if I turn or not. As a matter of fact when I noticed play on one of the rear wheels, took the car to a parking lot, and made some eights around, and didn't notice any difference in the rubbing sound; but decided to replace the LR bearing on account of...
  4. M

Weird rear end noise

Please Help! I have been having a weird (to me) condition with my 04 V8 4WD. with limited slip, towing pck. After about 25-30 miles of highway driving starts making a rubbing noise at about 5 or 6 feet of pavement trajectory. The noise sounds as if a caliper was warped, or some braking...
  5. M

How big of a mistake did I make?

A word of caution... You did not specify the towing conditions you're likely to experience, e.g. distance/topography etc. I advice you to invest about $150.00 and buy an"SCANGAUGE II" that will monitor among many other functions your transmission running temp. (a CRITICAL factor with our...
  6. M

not enough sound from new muffler

Good! Silence is golden...
  7. M

Roof baskets experiences...

The smaller size was a factor for me too, because i can re-use the basket w/o the extension on my Hyundai elantra if we need to.
  8. M

3gen 2004 > rear diff friction modifier?

A bottle of Motorcraft friction modifier is still only $6.33 at the dealer
  9. M

Thanks guys for your replies and pictures. I ordered a CURT basket with an axtension.
  10. M

I'm in the market for a roof basket, and would appreciate any input from users, as of brand, size, convenience, noise etc. I'm considering a Yakima large size. But would greatly consider your ratings.Thanks in advance for your cooperation. P.S. Do you guys mount the basket directly on the...
  11. M

Rear low hum during acceleration

Hi guys, i noticed this noise just when we were about ready to pack for Florida. The noise is not too loud yet, but i know if it's the rear axle will be very costly to repair, and something that i certainly could'nt do by myself. I'm thinking it could be a rear bearing but bad bearings are...
  12. M

Please HELP with quickstrut install

THANKS for replying, I wish would'nt have to separate any more components, this past days i had to replace a front wheel bearing and a front right coil, now i'm stuck with the left front coil, every step of the way i have had a heck of a time (don't know if it's rust because of salt/dirt roads...
  13. M

Please HELP with quickstrut install

I have spent hours trying to fit new Monroe quickstruts (FRONT). I read here that you have to disconnect the Sway Bar tie ends, and the arms. Wich arm upper or lower? and how do you do that?
  14. M

Coil/strut replacement

Thanks Huskerbob, 15/16" is a size I don't have, 25 mm. is close but a little loose. I'll give it a try today.
  15. M

Coil/strut replacement

Can anyone tell me what size socket I need, to remove the bolt holding the front coils/struts? Thanks
  16. M

Wheel alignment after R&R rear bearing?

Since I'll have to disconnect the upper control arm and the toe link to the knuckle; should a 4 wheel alignment be done? I'm also replacing a front bearing assembly but that one doesn't count, I think...can you guys advise?
  17. M

A1Auto vs. RockAuto

Hey guys looks like i'll have to replace 2 wheel bearings, F.L and R.R (I'm thinking with Timken) and the front coils/struts (with Monroe quickstruts). Could you share your opinions/experiences with these brands; also i have to decide between A1Auto or RockAuto, i have never bought anything...
  18. M

wheel to axle hub nut

I need to replace a front and a rear wheel bearing on my 04, are the hub nuts threads left handed or right handed? And what's the reassembling torque?
  19. M

towing with 2003 4.0 xlt questions

Risky... You would be at the edge towing that weight. Make sure you travel lean in terms of extra weight both in your trailer and truck. Change all fluids and evaluate their condition prior to embarking on a long trip. The topography and traffic pattern of your planned tours would be...
  20. M

Driveline noise - help troubleshooting

Wheel bearings? Sounds somewhat similar to the noise produced by bad bearings, but on steroids! Much louder though. Perhaps something to think about...
  21. M

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

I would let the dealer fix it. If it "bubled" it means there isn't adhesion of paint to metal and it WILL rust. If your dealer is not capable of restoring a 1m.m. chip of paint to like new condition, on the hood of a car. Then we might as well close this country OUT OF BUSINESS.
  22. M

Need advice on issue with new Explorer

Yes, you should. It's intolerable that a unit that was pulled off line at the factory; would be send for delivery with such fragrant unprofessional defects. If we consumers allow ourselves to be taken advantage of, we have nobody to blame but ourselves. Fight the good fight, and if not a new...
  23. M

Boat Towing.

WOW! How nice to have a Manufacturer representative, on line, attentive to customers concerns even when evidently no defects are present. Good job!...Snoopy2003: As Cory said, shut off traction control, shift the transmission manually to 1st. gear, and go very slow.
  24. M

Low roar or pitched hum or whine

You describe three different characteristic noises on your heading; if it's a "humming" sound, as if you're riding on heavy snow tires over dry surfaces, it's most likely wheel bearing issues. If it "roars" or "whines" I would consider rear differential/yoke issues. Have you check the rear diff...
  25. M

Help locating the right Weight Distribution Hitch

Hello tio: A good place to get your hitch installed, would be a Camper/RV dealer, one of the largest ones is "Camping World" Google around and you will find one. I know Miami, and for something like that, with a nice brand new car under warranty, I would avoid the area. I would go North, Fort...
Back