Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. O

Instrument panel question

For a 1997 Explorer there are six (6) #194 illumination bulbs and sixteen (16) #37 indicator bulbs, plus a LED for anti-theft indicator bulb. Don't do a 12-volt test on the RED holder LED anti-theft indicator bulb like I did, as I ended up at the dealer getting a new one for the one I blew at...
  2. O

Lower Ball Joint Replacement How To (lots of Pictures)

Speaking from the view of a 1997 Ford Explorer: The stock lower BJ's can be replaced independent of the CA's. The stock upper BJ's will need a new CA. Many replace the stock UCA with ones that allow for the replacement of just the BJ.
  3. O

Need assistance diagnosing rear wiper problem

Found this thread, http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295600 It appears the shaft can hang-up from water contamination. I just used some PB blaster to loosen mine up and it will work on the bench. I have other issues with wiper which I'm working on.
  4. O

Secondary Transmission Filter Installed (Feedback)

May I ask what filter mount you used and if it has a temperature sensor fitting ?
  5. O

CV Axle Replacement How To (Pictures)

I reused one of mine, but replaced the other from the dealer. Try fordparts.com to see if they carry them.
  6. O

Need oxygen sensor help p1151 code

I guess Autozone is also confused, 15716 is listed for use before cat and also listed for after cat. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/1997-Ford-Explorer-AWD/Oxygen-Sensor/_/N-jqaixZ8gcvp?filterByKeyWord=oxyen+sensor&fromString=search Note: I used 15716 for B1-S2 & B2-S1&S2. 15717 was...
  7. O

May have confused you. One is an external transmission filter, i.e., filter is the same as an oil filter, one is an external power steering filter as pictured in the Autozone link.
  8. O

Need oxygen sensor help p1151 code

Are you sure the O2 sensors are not interchangeable ? Per RockAuto BOSCH Part # 15716 - Exact Fit; 10.5" Two required; 4 Wire; Heated; OE Type - Exact Fit - Downstream Sensor Left side; 4 Wire; Heated; OE Type - Exact Fit - Upstream Sensor BOSCH Part # 15717 15.4" Right side; 4 Wire...
  9. O

97 Explorer Oxygen Sensor Replacement---HOW TO??

Thanks for the link on console removal. Autozone gave me the code PO134 for signal failure for the bank 1, sensor 1. I replaced all four sensors (120K miles) as three of them are so hard to get to. Going thru the access panel under the console is the only way, I know of, to get to the electrical...
  10. O

Safety Recall -Speed Control Deactivation Switch

My cruise control didn't work and Ford only replaced the harness on mine for the recall. I replaced the steering wheel ear switches. I did the diagnostic test which gave me the 3 flashes for bad deactivation switch. Went and got 1L1Z-9F924-AA kit for $18.00. Noticed when I took out bad switch it...
  11. O

Odb-ii + ngs

Is there such thing as a OBD-II scanner and NGS, preferably on a laptop platform ? I was looking for a OBD-II scanner but recently let the master cylinder run dry from a rear caliper self-inflected *bone headed* leak :mad:. I now need to bleed the HCU, thus the need for a NGS. Note: '97 AWD...
  12. O

How to: Parking Brake Removal and Installation (with pictures)

No, just the retaining spring that is parallel to adjuster.
  13. O

Adjuster screw direction ? Every picture I've seen shows the adjuster screw *star* facing the front of vehicle and away from the caliper. I installed in the opposite direction as the adjusting slot in the dust shield better lines up in this direction. Is this a major no-no or it doesn't...
  14. O

Upper outside spring I used the coat hanger method on one side to install the upper outside spring, but didn't have a helper for the other side, so I used a long 45 degree needle nose pliers. Placed a small block of wood on the pads to avoid damage. Worked better than the coat hanger method. I...
  15. O

Just received the Moroso remote filter mount pn 23700. Oil filter nipple is too small for my V8 engine, 302 on a '97 Explorer XLT AWD. Package states it fits Ford V-8, but not mine.
  16. O

Speed Control Deactivation Switch Recall (09S09)

Does anyone know if Ford has to change the switch or just add the fuse harness ? I had the recall done last week and just the harness was added. I just replaced the "ear" switches on the steering wheel and ran the diagnostic test, got 3 flashes result = brake deactivation switch is bad. Edit...
  17. O

Jegs remote filter mount I ordered the 23700 model (RH-In, LH-Out) Dumb question: It doesn't come with fitting. Plan to mount between radiator cooler and aux. cooler, thus using the hoses. I'm guessing the fitting should be a 1/2 inch threaded to filter mount and a 3/8 inch barb fitting...
  18. O

PS filter I'm trying this PS filter from AZ (has by-pass). Will run for about 500 miles, then change out and inspect. If all works, will just change out every oil/filter change...
  19. O

How to: Install Your Own Shocks

Had the same problem with the Bilstein lateral shock. I tried your method, but my ties where only rated at 50lbs & would break when I wiggled the shock into the mountings. I used a bar clamp to compress, then used my ties to hold via the shocks bolt holes, then removed bar clamp and then hooked...
  20. O

50 Horsepower For 5 Cents............

I did check "butterfly" after reading this thread, it was nice and horizontal. Thanks for the education.
  21. O

Fluid changes

Show-off. Darn, no icon for green with envy, so :chug: will have to do.
  22. O

Cruise control steering wheel switch replacement

Another excellent thread started by Al Franklin, may he Rest in Peace. Cruise control stopped working a while ago, i.e. one of the symptoms of brake deactivation switch recall. Has recall done, fuse harness installed, but not new switch. Cruise control still not working. Did the cruise...
  23. O

Fluid changes

Manual states 13.9 quarts for my transmission capacity, I was able to drain about 12 quarts via the drain pan & torque converter.
  24. O

over 100mph in an explorer

Many years ago, when my '97 5.0L AWD was new & stock I was traveling East on I-10 in Northern FL. I had set the cruise to 80mph, but started to follow a semi, anyway kept pace with semi for about 2 hours and looked at speedometer, 105. Explorer felt very comfortable, didn't feel like I was a...
Back