Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Installing aftermarket DVD headrests

Great idea. I'll look into them. Are they available cheaply and easily @ Home Depot? I've not used these before. I'll look locally.
  2. S

Update on my experience: I wrote up the install pics. My units are the Eonon ones from eBay. The units themselves are working well -- the screens are good, and the kids love the headphones. The battery life on the headphones is impressive -- I'm just charging them now after regular weekend...
  3. S

Antenna alternatives

I have one on my Limited and it looks great. I have had no issues with AM/FM, Sirius or navigation issues. Getting rid of the whip antenna really does knock the look of the vehicle up a bit more like a (more) premium brand. Highly recommended.
  4. S

Tin Roof Rain noise.

Thanks, Batman89! @uniquename: not really planning to do this myself, especially if Ford might be issuing a TSB for it in the future, but I figured it's always good to get documentation about methods early while the original poster is still active and engaged in the topic (and in case Ford...
  5. S

Tin Roof Rain noise.

@Batman89: thanks for your reports and successful fix! Can you specify what foam (brand and specific type) you used? I may have missed it but I didn't see this posted since you announced what you did. There were originally some concerns about the expanding foam from members here. Thanks again.
  6. S

Onfair DVD install opinions... (bad)

I would agree the DVD headrests definitely don't support the back of your head nearly as well as the Ford ones -- I posted my own installation pictures in another thread (these were similar headrests, made by Eonon). It's my biggest peeve with these headrests. I see the Autotain rests do...
  7. S

Official Explorer MFT Problems / Issues / Feature Suggestions Thread

"scheduled system maintenance" 1. BUG & feature 2. Limited - Canadian - luxury seating, dual moonroof, powered 3rd row, towing package, polished aluminum rims, 4WD 3. 800km 4. MFT 2.8 5. Scheduled system maintenance occurs WHILE DRIVING! Until it restarts, you have no navigation, music...
  8. S

Thanks for the comments. @Sgt1411: can you post pics of the factory Invision headrests? How do they compare with the original Explorer headrest, and do they support your head the same?
  9. S

Installation pictures Materials: 1. Lamp cord: I bought 18 gauge cord, but you could go thinner. 2. Add a fuse: you can use the Mini fuse taps -- the shop I went to said it won't work but trust me, they do. You do indeed still need to pick up another set of fuses (I picked up a set of...
  10. S

OK, since I started this thread, I figure I'll show you the end result. Thanks to everyone's input. I ordered the same set of DVD players another poster mentioned here, but went directly to the eonon ebay auction -- they offer the same price but a full 1 year warranty which On Fair doesn't...
  11. S

Dual Moon Roof, worth it?

Our Limited has the dual moon roof: I love it. The extra light that it lets in really makes the cabin seem even that much more spacious. It's also surprisingly quiet when the roof is open. Plus, the sunshade closes to make the cabin darker for movie viewing, or sun glare reduction, so no real...
  12. S

Driving Position

This is my first American car, and I must say Ford did an amazing job on the fit & finish -- the dash could stand shoulder to shoulder to any German import (Audi, MB, BMW). My usual daily car is a 2010 BMW M3. I just got my Ex (Limited) last weekend and love it in general. The Ex is meant...
  13. S

No alarm armed light?

Yeah, I'm not really that stressed about it: I figure that any deterrent to encourage the thieves to move onto the next car is welcome. Personally, I use the red lights as a quick visual check to make sure all is secure when I'm turning in at night, etc. That said, don't you think it's a bit...
  14. S

Thanks for posting the PDF. To help others, I've posted it on my Dropbox account. You should be able to download it from this link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/83492/Car/2011FordExDVD.pdf
  15. S

No alarm armed light?

I took delivery of my new Limited on Thursday. I have keyless access, and most of the key options including the Technology Package (in Canada this includes active park assist, BLIS, rain sensing wipers, adaptive cruise control) and the luxury seating package, etc. It strikes me as odd that...
  16. S

Dino: Thanks so much for the info -- it sounds quite easy to do (at least easier than I feared). Can't wait to get mine.
  17. S

Any updates? Some of the posters above said they were doing the install this past weekend. I take delivery of my Ex this week and am anxious to see how the headrests fir, feel and install before jumping in myself! Good luck!
  18. S

This is great news: the players you found are better than anything I've found. Your profile on the left says you have a Limited. I'm expecting mine this weekend (my first Ford, ever!). Your description of the process sounds better than I expected (I was worried we'd have to take the back of...
  19. S

Ordered 3/15 and got VIN # today!

I just got my sticker last night as well! Like others I've been stalking the sticker site and was getting used to seeing the "requested VIN does not exist" blue text, when just out of curiosity, I clicked it around midnight last night and lo and behold, no link but a requestor showing a pdf...
  20. S

Step bars / Running Boards / Nerf Bars

Well, we are now in the VIN phase of our Limited in Tricoat white. My kids are only 6 & 8 and we'll likely need step bars/running boards/Nerf bars for them. Has anyone installed any aftermarket ones? I found these on Amazon: they might look nice with the white 2011 Ex...
  21. S

@atbc: You can track your sticker at http://fordlabels.webview.biz/webviewhybrid/WindowSticker.aspx?vin=x.. (replace x.. with your VIN). I think this shows its build progress. @drober30: It's funny how tempted I am: I drive a 2009 M3 and the Ex is almost an opposite car, yet I'm really...
  22. S

My $50,000 gamble Up until now, all of my cars have been either Japanese, or more recently either M-B or BMW. Our 2003 Honda Pilot served us very well, but we wanted something new. Of course, my first inclination is to go with the Pilot again. I then read reviews that said I should take a...
  23. S

Running Boards - DeeZee and Others

I'm also interested in these. I'm awaiting a Limited in Tricoat white. What color do you think I should get them in? They offer prepainting but not for the tricolors. Besides, I think a white running board would look funny. I suspect I'll get it in black. Perhaps leave it unpainted (It...
  24. S

iPad/iPhone explorer App

Thanks for the video links. Actually, I've been stalking these as well as part of my ongoing obsession until I actually see one (they're logged in my Youtube playlist). Regardless, the links above should help others find the videos easily. What I probably should have said was that the iPad...
  25. S

iPad/iPhone explorer App

The iPad app is great: we are waiting on the Explorer and this is a nice way to show our 'baby in the oven' to friends and family. From a technology evolution point of view, it also shows the potential for interactive brochures outstripping the information and utility of the glossy paper...
Back