Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Push Button Start

Maybe Ford didn't implement this right, or they just figure that since you have the keypad on the side of the door, you can always re-open the car that way.
  2. J

Active Park Assist

Thanks. For some reason I thought maybe it did the stopping by using the backup sensors to know when it was "close enough".
  3. J

Active Park Assist

You say you need to keep your foot on the brake, does it stop before you tap the guy behind you? Does it tell you when to shift? Does it tell you when it's done?
  4. J

Adaptive Cruise Control question

No personal attack intended. Just trying to help. All you have to keep in mind is that these systems won't (and aren't able) to do anything you can't do. When you coast there are no lights, so it can't have any lights then either. The one thing you can do that it can't is ride the brake ;)...
  5. J

Active Park Assist

Does it control throttle and steering, or only steering? How about going from P to R to P?
  6. J

Active Park Assist

This system is supposed to be miles better than the original that Lexus had on the LS400, but I've not had seen it in action. Would be very interested.
  7. J

The ACC system will not create any "light" situation that wouldn't happen with you at the control. It simply can't. Now if you choose to re-wire your car to have a yellow light come on in back when you are coasting, guess what, your ACC will display a yellow light then too. ACC doesn't...
  8. J

Dvd

Question about the dual headrest DVD. Can you play the same DVD on each screen, or by chance a different one on each screen? Where is the actual player that you put the disc into?
  9. J

Your friends Lincoln will not turn on the brake lights if it's slowing by releasing the throttle, but I can guarantee you that it turns on those lights when it activiates the brakes! If your car's brakes are applied (by you, your ACC, or devine intervention) it is essentially illegal to not...
  10. J

Competition

I know what you mean by the clutter. As for the size, that's definitely an issue. I mean after all, you're buying this thing because it has storage. There is not much behind the seats of the MDX. Honestly one of the important things for me that the MDX is missing is the keyless drive. I'm...
  11. J

Competition

Anyone here compare the new Explorer to the Acura MDX? I know the MDX msrp is higher, but on a lease the two cars are very close, that's why I'm trying to compare them.
  12. J

You should also be aware that just like regular cruise, once you tap your brakes the system disengages and you have to re-engage it. Don't forget and then coast into stopped traffic in front of you. Similarly, the system will not detect cars that are dead stopped. It will detect very slow...
  13. J

What can I say? You guys obviously aren't going to believe me no matter what I tell you. This technology has been used by many manufacturers for years and they all work pretty much the same. The system will mimic taking your foot off the gas, or applying a certain maximum amount of braking...
  14. J

Don't hope. They do and they must. I was initially curious about this when I got my first adaptive cruise car as well. Yes, it is a little strange after you get used to when you get in a car that doesn't have it. I think the best strategy is to not use cruise control at all in a car with...
  15. J

It definitely takes some getting used to. After having it for 3 years, I still don't always trust it completely, and sort of feel like I'm constantly testing it. Of course regardless of how well it works, you still need to be cognizant of what your car is doing and be ready to take over at a...
  16. J

Absolutely! Think about it...it couldn't work any other way. It is applying the brakes same as you would and the circuitry involved is no different. And if it didn't activate the lights, you would likely have been rear-ended ;-)
  17. J

Cargo

Nothing is going to stop them from breaking in if they want to just for the heck of it (unless you have laminated windows like I had on one of my cars :D ), but if your stuff is out of sight, it's more likely a thief will go to the next car where he can see that he'll actually get something for...
  18. J

Cargo

In this vehicle, how do you cover your belongings without a "trunk"? I understand you can get a cargo cover, but unlike many SUVs, it doesn't appear to be something that is easily put in place, or even retracts. Any thoughts?
  19. J

What exactly is EPAS?

The power steering is assisted by an electric motor instead of being driven by a drive belt off the flywheel. In the old days, you sometimes had to rev the engine to get enough power steering boost to turn the wheel when you were stopped. Now that is no longer an issue. Of course the possible...
  20. J

Incentives & Rebates

We are only a day or so away from new incentive time, but in any big company, things usually leak out, particularly when they are not M&A related.
  21. J

Incentives & Rebates

Does anyone have information yet on new incentives available in May?
  22. J

Supply and Demand

I think that alone is a good sign. They are now starting to make less popular models which might indicate that demand has slacked and they want to sell to whomever wants one. Maybe in MI you can't do without 4WD, but in most places even in the worst winter the roads are cleared pretty...
  23. J

Supply and Demand

I am thinking that these things, while in short supply earlier in the year, seem to be accumulating on dealer lots. Does anyone else think that's a fair assessment? And with gas pricing rising, I would think demand for SUVs (of any mpg) will be declining. In my mind all of this should add up...
  24. J

Oil Change interval

Changing oil as recommended in a modern engine is more than sufficient. Today engines will easily last the life of the vehicle. In the past, rebuilt engines, or engines from junked cars were a big business. Ask someone in that business today and they will tell you that there simply isn't much...
  25. J

Why is Ford letting the cars stack up at the plant?

Thanks. I'll ask about that. Of course he's going to have to pick up the payment until the car actually comes in. I'm sure not going to pay for something I can't drive ;)
Back