Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

Yet another V8 Swap..

It has been to long since I was here :( another life situation happened and I was forced to put all projects on hold.. until now ;) I am finally tossing out the clutter so I can get focused!! luckily I bagged the motor and kept it out of the moisture so I can pick up where I left off.. I will...
  2. T

Yet another V8 Swap..

My man, you are the golden goose, and reading my mind! On down time I've been looking up exactly that solution.. I'm getting so close that I can hear the 5.0 rumble BLOCKS away and I'm driving my family crazy pointing them out.. From this experience, I'm probably going to pick up as many donors...
  3. T

Yet another V8 Swap..

Hey y'all, a **** ton of progress has kept me from getting on here, but I have some time today to get some of my updated info to y'all.. I'm glad I had two donors, the better of the two engines was a replacement and still has the hash marks in the cylinder walls.. the second of the two will be...
  4. T

Yet another V8 Swap..

So, new development in my collection of Parts.. I'm not ready for the price tag on the torque monster headers yet! :O however, what I do have are options.. The 1998 donor that had a bbk intake also has this exhaust And the '01 donor had this! The first is a stainless, or an alloy I...
  5. T

Yet another V8 Swap..

tbh, starting this project, I was super confident, now, I have taken a sloth-like go no-go approach to what steps I take.. I have received a bunch of advice and support from members here, and I email @410Fortune as if he was tech support.. If I had the extra cash, I would buy his families ST...
  6. T

Yet another V8 Swap..

On yesterday's picture, I should have gone on to say that I have everything ready. Today I actually started the install on the PATS piggyback and have the key Halo (plug & play, no cutting or soldering required due to pulling entire PATS wiring harness from the main harness) and the two wires...
  7. T

Yet another V8 Swap..

Got most of the PATS wiring done today, adding another picture hopefully! Hope everyone is safe and healthy!!
  8. T

Yet another V8 Swap..

Finally figured out how to upload from my phone, got wheels and tires for $200.. The engine trans, and t-case are in front of Olive, and I've got the '01 pcm PATS, and wiring harness.. I feel like I have writer's block and don't know what should be done first, wiring? So I can climb around the...
  9. T

Yet another V8 Swap..

I suppose I am at the half way point, I am cleaning up the engine bay and wanted to match the bay paint to the exterior color, however at this point I just want to get it put together and will probably go flat black. As soon as I have the ability to get y'all some pictures, it'll put some...
  10. T

Yet another V8 Swap..

Driver side motor mount nut is an 18mm, ask me how I know ;) Going to start on wiring soon, I believe I have most of what goes where. Picked up a nice soldier kit & marine connectors/heat shrink.. Just wanted to make sure y'all are staying safe in this mess, and it took a stay @ home order for...
  11. T

2000 Ford Explorer 5.0 V8

In our rust belt, sometimes when we hold onto sentimental ****, we will take as many vehicles to make one as we need to.. a frame here, cab there, bed from another (luckily the ST doesn't have that issue, just the hardware rusts out), and maybe front clip from a fourth, and doors out the...
  12. T

Yet another V8 Swap..

Donor teardown begins tomorrow ;) I'll be making an inventory and preparing parts for installation.. I also want to prep the engine bay on Olive, the '02 ST.. I'll be assembling the media and making a comprehensive build thread, this is the discussion ;) Just wanted to check in with an update...
  13. T

2nd Gen 5.0L Performance Mod List

Ok, what I am hearing stock: 2.5" dual 3" single.. (For the next year or so) Cam & small upgrades: roughly the same (Rebuilding the 98 donor for a backup & for some additional hp) (Five year plan) Supercharger or Turbo: 3" dual & up? (Retirement/Kidd past edu.) Basically, at this point...
  14. T

Would dual 2.5" have a significant loss for a stock situation or just allow the room for upgrades?
  15. T

Old school questions on current technology on exhaust.. On a stock '00 5.0 explorer setup, is there any benefit to back pressure?! I am unsure where I learned about beneficial back pressure, and after reading 99% of this thread, I would assume true 2.5" duals would allow the stock 5.0 to...
  16. T

2000 Ford Explorer 5.0 V8

Pick up a decent donor truck and swap it all.. for all the parts/supplies & time you would invest to restore & keep the frame & body original, you could pick up a complete, southern, running, no-rust, 5.0 explorer for cheaper.. If you are anywhere close to Pennsylvania, and want to go the...
  17. T

1998 Ford Explorer timing chain

And while you're in there, spend the money to replace them all, it is cheaper to build it solid now than have to pull it again to fix the weaknesses.. I'd also toss an oil pump in while the engine is out..
  18. T

Yet another V8 Swap..

Excited to say 2000 5.0 donor acquired!! Now we have 2 5.0 drivetrains and enough to start making progress.. pictures are on my phone, and will be uploaded the moment I have our PC runnin again..
  19. T

Where does this GO?

Did that cover it, or would you like a photo of where it connects?
  20. T

Yet another V8 Swap..

Please don't get excited, have questions, no build progress to report at this time other than more research.. What are the differences between all parts on years 98 through 2003.. Reason for my question is multiple, primarily because I HAVE the '98 donor, hunting for a 99+ donor.. If I rebuild...
  21. T

Yet another V8 Swap..

Okay, I have acquired a "good" 99+ returnless fuel rail, first one I found had pinhole leaks.. The harness I got with both has trashed injector end connections, so I'll need to replace those, or get another harness.. The reason this build has stalled is due to trying to find another donor, but...
  22. T

1997 Ford Explorer - V8 - 5.0 - AWD

"I would equate this to like deciphering a foreign language and understanding that if you walk backwards, your really moving forward. :laugh: Sounds dumb, but until you do it, you'll understand." Priceless quote of the year.. :chug: :party: That is awesomeness that my brain was able to dig...
  23. T

1997 Ford Explorer - V8 - 5.0 - AWD

From the wear on the indicator paint I would have thought the pinion was too "deep" into the carrier and you might need a shim or so on the driverside to get the ring closer to the pinion gear.. I will say at first when I seen the wear patterns that the ring and pinion are not a matched set...
  24. T

Oil filter adapter w/coolant.. Normal or WTF is that?!

Oil cooler suggests that the oil operating temps are higher than that of the coolant.. If my brain is firing on all cyl tonight, this unit should also keep a better "even temp" across the engine.. Makes sense, gonna have to inspect the unit and find o-rings for it, and spares to toss in the...
  25. T

Oil filter adapter w/coolant.. Normal or WTF is that?!

I've never seen the coolant and oil in the same locations except where required and this oil filter & coolant passage is strange to me.. I was preppin more of the v8 swap and found this, is this a factory part, or aftermarket, and its purpose.. 1998 Ford Explorer 5.0 v8 & has california...
Back